šŸ”· Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire

Iā€™m about ready to pull the trigger on these, but can someone recommend a good portable DAC/AMP for these? Figured Iā€™d ask here before wading through the dozen or so Youtube videos on the Aeon 2 Noire.
Iā€™d prefer something that will run wired or Bluetooth. I was looking at the iFi GO Blu but not sure it has the power.

It does not nearly have enough power. You need a least 1W to get them to comfortable levels. Iā€™m using a Topping NX7 and it get is listenably loud at 12-1 oā€™clock

1 Like

Uh think youā€™ll need a portable amp to run it decently cause the noir has such a low impedance that many less powerful amp have some issues driving them properly

Thanks for the info!
I just ran across ZReviews TOPPING G5 review. That looks like a viable option. Weā€™ll see whatā€™s available after I get the Noireā€™s. Iā€™ll have my ā€˜in-houseā€™ Magnius-Modius Schitt stack to use in the meantime.

I didnā€™t like any of the portable options Iā€™ve heard, I only wanted to listen to it on a beefy desktop setup, I somewhat liked the performance on the new Astell HC2 but Iā€™m an unreasonable fan of that dongle so that doesnā€™t really count.

Iā€™ve been fine with the Aeon 2 Closed (with perf pads) with the Qudelix 5K when I use a Hart Audio cable on the 2.5mm balanced output

1 Like

A question for those who have heard these. Howā€™s the dynamic range? I have a pair of Aron RT closed backs that I love but I find myself taking issue with the lack of dynamic range and ā€œcompressionā€ of the cans. Do the Aeon Noires have a similar presentation?

I have 0 issue with the dynamic range. I always like to test out Phil Collins ā€œin the air tonightā€ for that purpose with the low to high volume changes. The Aeon Noire does very well with this. The biggest thing that Noireā€™s lack is dynamic punch/slam. I just wish it had more in that regard, but the rest of it sounds very good for the price imo.

Also, listening to any of the Chesky Records Guide to Clinical Listening helped me out quite a bit on sampling dynamic range among other aspects of sound.

3 Likes

I appreciate the information skeeb!

1 Like

I have never heard the RTs, but I have the Aeon Closed X and Open X and I used to own the Noires before I sold them when I decided to go all out and grab the Stealths and I donā€™t feel like any of them lack dynamic range and the Noires are a step up in dynamics from the Closed/Open X. I say that because I have heard that the RTs and the Closed/Open X are very similar. I hope this helps!

1 Like

Curious if anyone has tried these with the xDuoo TA-22? Is it powerful enough for the Noire?

Has anyone plugged this into the Topping G5? Iā€™m curious if that would be a good portable solution. Iā€™ve combed over the specs but all Iā€™ve learned is I donā€™t know how to read specs much beyond power output.

Iā€™m using a Topping NX7 which basically is the G5 without a DAC and it works fine.
According to ASRā€™s measurements the voltage at 12 ohms drops to ~2.8V so you only get about 650mW at 12 Ohms.
This should in theory deliver 121dB with the Aeonā€™s 93dB sensitvity.
I think you should be fine with the G5

2 Likes

Iā€™m selling my Noires if anyoneā€™s interested in coping a lightly used pristine set. The isolation on these is pretty crazy.

1 Like

I just got in my set in today and had them in burn in for most of the day. Put them on with this track and wowā€¦ great start and will burn in more over night.

Gustard R2R R26
ifi ican pro

Last vid why not ā€¦AMERICA :slight_smile: