DAP recommendations under $500 (changed from $1k)

What DAPs would people recommend for under $1000?

I have been looking at players like the SR15, M11, DX160, QP2r etc.

I would rather have a touchscreen than a scroll wheel, and I would be using it exclusively with IEMs, so they lower the black background the better.

I stream at the moment, I am using Spotify but will be switching to Tidal shortly, however, I am thinking of eventually moving to FLAC so streaming is not a big deal, in fact no streaming will probably force me to switch to FLAC which would be good.

It needs to actually be portable as I would use it a lot travelling, so not too heavy too bulky, and would need decent battery for journeys upwards of 7 or 8 hours. It ideally would be able to connect to a computer so I can use it as a desk AMP/DAC when not going portable.

Balanced would be better because there is more of a difference in IEMs, and I much prefer a warmer sound signature but will settle for anything that isn’t bright.

Cheers everyone, any recommendations welcome.
Felix

I really like the cayin n6ii for that price (or around that price), lots of flexibility with it as well. But it’s pushing budget for sure (perhaps wait for used to pop up)

1 Like

cheers, I will look into it

I reckon if I do get the ThieAudio Voyager L9 instead of the Voyager 14, which seems like the best price to performance option for the moment, I reckon I would spend much less on the DAC, so it would be around the $500 mark

Gotcha, then stuff like the hiby r6 pro and dx160 might make more sense here

1 Like

Thought so, are people preferring the HiBY stuff over the M11 then?

I think so yes, they both trade blows. The reason I went with the m11 was the dual sd card slots, otherwise I most likely would have went to somewhere else if I weren’t only using the m11 as a transport

1 Like

Perfect, cheers

If we are considering M11 price shelf then we definitely have to add Shanling M6 to the list. Good battery life, about 13 hours, fully open Android, physical wheel etc. Little on a larger size tho, about same footprint as M11.

1 Like