Darko video on changes in audio 2010-2019

Very interesting video on channges that have occured in the audio industry. buying trends and products. I thought it was interesting when he says that there were few headphones that cost 1000$ in the 2000’s and now theres many in that price range and beyond 5000+. He also talks about DAC’s, Daps, Speakers, Audio software like Roon. very cool stuff:

1 Like

Yeah. Both he and Steve Guttenberg have mentioned the rise of ultra high end fi, catering to the ultra rich and boomerphiles, and also the general improvement in quality of mid and low fi stuff

2 Likes

never heard the word boomerphiles before. but yeah i posted the guttenberg video too cause their saying what ive been observing lol. This whole period in audio tech is very exciting. i remember looking at a website about high end headphones in the 2000’s and it talked about the the big Stax headphones and about a grado headphone that had a actual wooden chamber lol. headphones that cost 1000$. it was like a oddity.

I think boomerphiles is a term that originated in this forum. Basically rich retirees in their late 50s to 70s who are wealthy enough and have enough free time to engage in hardcore system building where they pay for the 5000 fancy cables yet only listen to a limited range of audiophile music, like jazz and soft rock

1 Like

Darko triggers my douche bag spidey sense big time. Only reviewer that does.

2 Likes

The first known usage of the term of “boomerphile,” circa 2019 colorized

4 Likes

Darko exists in this weird nether space of privilege where I dont know anyone who uses his site or watches his videos but seems to be able to try the top of the line gear under 20g no problem.

Audiobacon annoys me more tho

I should make a channel, do an incredibly in depth review of the ksc 75 and treat it like the shang, and next video review my Shangri la and treat it like the ksc75 lol

3 Likes

Darko’s review videos are very polished looking and he often reviews higher-end gear, but he gives good, in-depth reviews. He has a real soft spot for Schiit gear as well, so he doesn’t always focus on the really pricey stuff. Just because he is able to afford expensive gear doesn’t make his reviews bad or biased. I think he seems honest in his assessments.
He has a particularly good grasp of streaming tech. I am more focused on physical media, but I find his discussions interesting and entertaining. I certainly can’t afford a lot of the things he reviews, but he usually picks quality gear to review and will let you know if something is bullshit. It is important to have a broad perspective on audio gear and not rely entirely on one source for our info. As much as I like Zeos, he is one opinion of many that I value, though he seems to be on a bit of a pedestal on this forum. Then again, he did create the forum.:smile:

1 Like

I would say a fair amount of regular members on here don’t necessarily see eye to eye with z lol

But I can somewhat agree at times lol

1 Like

I agree that DAP’s soon be :coffin:

1 Like

Unfortunate but true lol

Perhaps “on a pedestal,” is too strong. He is often the main quoted reviewer though IMO

2 Likes

I think it was the jazz boomerphile post that happened like a couple months back

no good, Zeos already does that

I’m not seeing a shang review on there lol

i have him on a pedestal and its high, really high :point_up_2:

1 Like

Darko is one of the few people that has a audiophile podcast that i can use on my podcast app. its pretty good

3 Likes

So i’m generation x, would that make me a Xophille? ooo! i like the sound of that.

I think you meant to say, don’t listen ear to ear with Z.