Darkvoice 336SE tube rolling

So that 7236 is proving hard to find but I’ve found a NOS NIB JAN RCA 6AS7G and a NOS NIB Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7GT VT-231 at prices im willing to pay from a reputable eBay seller… thoughts?

2 Likes

Just a little pic of the DV with some tung sol tubes.

9 Likes

I recently picked up a Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7GT VT-231 from Ebay as well. In comparison to a Tung-Sol 6SNS7GTB it improves the extension in both bass and treble, sounds a bit more open and spacious, and is overall more dynamic with a noticeable increase in bass quantity and slam. These differences showed up on both a 6XX and DT880 600 ohm (still using an RCA 7613 power tube). However, the Sylvania introduced some grain in the upper midrange which caused it to sound less clean overall. So there is a tradeoff. This grain was most noticeable on the DT880. There was almost a constant grit to the sound around 1.5-2KHz and was quite noticeable on vocals. On the 6XX this grit is barely detectable and fades quickly after a minute or so of listening, and then I’m just enjoying the more dynamic and lively sound. YMMV.

3 Likes

Let the burn in begin… pretty excited to hear some legit tubes in the dv… thanks again for guilding my purchase folks

10 Likes

Looks good. After the burn in and you’ve had a good listen please report back.

That is a really beautiful picture. Is that an RCA 6AS7G and JAN CHS Sylvania VT-231?

You bet :+1:

Yes that’s right

1 Like

That is a pretty good combo. I had both on my darkvoice at a few times. The Sylvania in particular has a very good balance going on. The treble is very detailed, but not in a fatiguing way. I found vocals a bit forward on them, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing at all. Nice tight bass too. No imperfections that I could pick up on.

2 Likes

I detect just a slight hint of grain in the 1.5-2khz range on the one I just installed, but only with the DT880 and only with a handful of female vocalists. Other than that, totally agree. A well rounded, well performing tube.

3 Likes

Yes, some vocals are forward and because of that, I feel they lose a bit of clarity and focus. But it is in a fun way…especially if you have an HD600 on there since it has mids to spare (IMO of course).

this is interesting… I plan on buying a freya+ for my stereo system so I wonder if I put 4 of these in it if it would help even out my Yamaha as-2100

do tube characteristics hold true in different amps?

Really depends on the system synergy but I do think it would help take the edge off your yamaha

1 Like

so ive had about 48 ish hrs of burn in on these tubes and its quite a difference from stock… I just had one of those moments where you hear a song that you’ve heard many times before the best you’ve ever heard it… hd650 and gordon lightfoot read my mind the bass is really nice and smooth and apparent and the guitar in the right channel isn’t as dark as I remember and is very clear and sparkly and his vocals are always fantastic but yeah just really great on this little setup… there’s a hum in both channels but its become significantly less noticeable as more time passes and its not bothersome whatsoever… these tubes are staying

4 Likes

gonna be selling my Darkvoice and a bunch of tubes as well, if anyone is interested pm me for more details

here is the AVexchange listing for anyone interested; https://www.reddit.com/r/AVexchange/comments/gai9i9/wts_ustn_h_darkvoice_336se_a_bunch_of_tubes_w/

4 Likes

What are you replacing it with? I’m curious

already replaced it with a Hagerman Tuba also about to buy a LTA MicroZOTL mz2 soonish

2 Likes

Very very nice! I just can’t seem to let mine go yet, eventually, just not yet. Both of those are very nice pieces! Give feedback and info whenever you can on either. :+1:

1 Like

I do have some impressions over in the tuba thread if you want to take a look.

1 Like

lol Darkvoice already sold. Got bombarded with like 5 messages at once. If anyone is interested in the tubes they are still up.

3 Likes

The Shuguang tube @ZeosPantera uses finally came in today.

Hum in left channel again, though less than I remembered from burning in the new Tung-Sol a few weeks ago. Of course, impressions to follow after burn in and listening.

5 Likes