DAYTON AUDIO APA150 - Anyone tried? / Reviews

Came across this power amplifier, it has all the features I need, especially the crossover subwoofer output. I’d be powering a pair of KEF Q100s and a SVS PB12-NSD subwoofer

While this is my current setup i’d like a versatile amp that can power all kinds of setups in the future

Anyone have experience using this sub? What can it be compared to?

Thanks!

1 Like

The sprout100 is only $600 usd and not tuned for best measurements, as it’s more focused on the specific tuning it’s been given. It just doesn’t measure well for it’s price, but that’s kinda how it was designed to be.

The apa150 does look like a sweet little amp though, and Dayton stuff usually is great bang for the buck

How would the sound compare to something like the Topping pa3?

Someone did a comparison and I’m a little concerned there won’t be the same detail, but I could be wrong

1 Like

Also wondering how I’d connect a subwoofer to take advantage of the low pass filter.
Does the low pass filter affect the Line out? or to the Speaker outputs? If it’s the speaker outputs, does that mean I won’t be able to power speakers and a subwoofer at the same time?

You would connect a powered sub to the RCA outs I’m assuming. I would just let the sub do lpf and set the amp to flat. I would assume that it would be a high pass filter if it was effecting the actual speakers

According to https://www.avhub.com.au/news/hi-fi/dayton-audio-apa150-395092
" It also has a built-in, switchable low-pass filter so that it can be used to power a passive subwoofer."
But wouldn’t the low pass filter be for the RCA outs instead, otherwise you’re doing low pass on the speakers which isn’t right…

I think it’s trying to say that it can be used as a subwoofer amplifier if you want then. I don’t think you could run a sub and speakers from the same amp at the same time. Kinda confused me as well I guess

1 Like

Yeah I’m willing to bet its for the RCA out, not too sure about that website

Eh, now that I look at it, I think it might just be a line out and the lpf is only if you are using it as a sub monoblock to power a passive sub

1 Like

Just checked and you’re right. It seems like this was designed as a monoblock / sub amp. It’s a rebranded emotiva and jamo have a similar one, they all function the same.
I would prefer the other way but oh well!

Most separate powered subs have a built in lpf, so that shouldn’t be that big of an issue if you want to add a sub

Hi. I had this amp and sold it after a year. Barely used it because I enjoyed the sound of my SMSL a whole lot more