Decisions, decisions

Appreciate all the feedback and help @M0N @Falenkor
Soooo many headphones i want to try them all lol,

I’m starting to have a clearer picture of what to get thanks to you guys. I’ll go with the Philips Fidelio X2HR since from what i read are all around great headphones. For the Amp/Dac ill go with the G6. Think its a good start for now.

Thank you guys for all the help

Lol, that was one of my issues cause theres so many choices. Just a suggestion though here for an amp/dac combination that may save money I would recommend looking into the Creative Sound Blaster X3 or schiit fulla as well since you may find those cheaper provided that you don’t really plan to have a full on audiophile setup, fairly expensive seperate amp and dac and care a lot about music, but also want to save some on your budget.

The issue i face is i take too long to make up my mind. Also like making sure i purchase something that i will be able to use in the future lets say when the PS5 comes or when i build my PC, so it makes something so simple a little difficult. (sigh)

Even now after deciding on the philips X2HR Im still contemplating the HD58x since for gaming they are said to be better.

The Amp/Dac i want something that will basically last me and be good with whatever headphones i buy. Because knowing myself this wont be the last headphones i get lol.

I’m sure ill get the x2HR. I’m thinking the G6 will give me the option of scout mode to enhance for fps games, but can also turn it off and go to more of a bass when playing other games.

I don’t want to pass my budget but i’d rather spend a little more and get something that lasts with me. i started with a low budget and now i’m close to $350 lol.

It does tend to add up really quickly, I do recommend trying to find stuff like this on sale or used in most cases otherwise you will spend a fortune. Amp/dacs like the ones discussed here will still last even in the ps5’s case it really boils down to what they provide, sound, and budget in that regard. In the end if you want the best sound you are better off with a seperate dedicated amp and dac but this is of course more expensive. Personally, as someone who competes heavily I never use recon modes lmao but that’s more of a personal thing. The x2 would probably be more catered towards a casual all rounder due to that much heavier bass it has over the 58x. Not to say it’s bad for competitive but it really just depends on preference and how hardcore of a competitor you are. 58x is your run of the mill “balanced” headphone more of a true jack of all trades approach but the soundstage isn’t as wide as an x2 fidelio. Really are pros and cons to both of them. DT 880 as discussed earlier is also a good choice here because its an all rounder the difference here is its a “brighter” headphone meaning your sound will sound a bit lighter but your bass and treble will be somewhat increased needless to say imo this will probably be the best of the 3 for competitive and will be marginally and subjectively better than the 58x. In terms of best to least for competitive it would be 880, 58x, X2 and would depend on if you still want it for other reasons like music and casual gaming but also your tastes in sound. In the case of you not knowing how bright, warm, or balanced sound I would recommend trying to find them with a return policy or a store that carries them. You should already know balanced fairly well since most gaming headsets are a neutral or balanced sound its just that 58x is a truly open headphone providing a studio quality sound unlike the gamer headsets with some in certain cases tuned more specifically for competitive so while they won’t sound the greatest they won’t have the best bass to them either due to competitive reasoning, rumbly bass can throw you off on sounds like footsteps and the like. If you wanted a strictly competitive style headphone though I would point you towards a akg k702/k712(possibly one of the best for strictly competitive due to lack of bass and an extremely large sound stage but these can be pricey if you cant find a used variation also not the most comfortable imo), ad700x(again moderate for soundstages reported issues of some placements depending on location of sound not very good seperation of sound, colorations in sound), dt 990(very sharp V signature can be uncomfortable to those without a proper setup or treble sensitive people has an ampless alternative known as Tygr 300 r), or something along the lines of a fully isolated iem setup if you want to go to the extreme length of true competitive tournament style.

Appreciate the detailed response,
For the time being i’ll get the HD58x or Dt880. I’ll get the modmic 5 since i know i will us it with future headphones.

I’ll get the G6 or Sound blaster x3 since its compatible with PS4 and PC. Even though the G6 price increased to $180. Ive been reading that not all amp/dac are compatible with the PS4.

1 Like