šŸ”· Denafrips Ares II

Hmmmmmm yeah, sureā€¦ But if you sell something and you call it ā€˜NOSā€™ it should be NOSā€¦ Thatā€™s my point more. Likeā€¦ Sure a Ferrari drives well but if I bought a Lambo and paid for a lambo I want a motherf*cking Lambo :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

hahahaā€¦good point. Well already bought it, used it, like it, enjoying it. Nothing to care now. Already in the hole. Damnā€¦haha

3 Likes

did anyone test if using both outputs of the ares at the same time degrades the sound in a meaningfull way or is it more of a best practise cause of the output stage design ?
Just asking cause i like to use XLR and RCA at the same time but im not shure i want to import a bf2 to germay and wait a few months cause of the schiity supply situation :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Does it say something about direct R-2R ladder to output?

Would also be nice to get some photos of this area:

I have actually found my Dac with the Singxer Sda 2 and Su2 pairing.
But you donā€™t make it easy for me to keep looking here and discover something new.
If something new is needed then it would be the Ares 2.
What I was wondering is, how useful would it be to feed the Su 2 to the Ares 2 via coax?
Thatā€™s actually the main reason why Iā€™m hesitant in the first place :grin:

hm conventional wisdom would suggest that it should help whit jitter and help with the noise floor if you feed it from a pc, like golden did presend it in one of his vids.

but hey ask someone that can hear those fine details instead of me XD

I use both though, still sound brilliant, i cant differentiate the 2 method.

2 Likes

thx did hope its not like day and night :scream:
now i just have to sell some unused gear and roll the dice what r2r dac to get :hugs:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a link somewhere up the thread to Denafrips stating it may degrade the sound. But itā€™s fine to use a rca splitter cable. The rca and xlr outputs seem to be directly tied together.

1 Like

Not because it changes or not, it is because they sell it as a DAC with an non oversampling mode

I had a long chat with a very nice guy at Vinshine Audio (Alvin) and he did not recommend a RCA splitter, he send me a diagram to make an XLR to dual stereo RCA that is supposedly a good solution to connect two amps

There are no commercially available cables like this (at least I did not find one) so you will have to make your own, but it doesnā€™t look very difficult

3 Likes

Should not be necessary, the Ares II already buffers and reclocks all digital inputs to eliminate jitter and in the ASR review you can see that the jitter elimination is pretty efective

Well thatā€™s interesting. Iā€™ve never seen anyone suggest breaking out xlr outputs like that. I think most people donā€™t like the idea of having reverse polarity going to one of the ampsā€”which is probably why they donā€™t really exist.

Do you plan to make a set?

Probably, donā€™t like the idea of switching cables around everytime I want to use my headphones

I donā€™t care that much for XLR as the cable will be very short ā€¦

This cable gonna be a mess to makeā€¦:slight_smile: but input rca to my balance amp gonna be a waste though. Not sure now. I think Iā€™ll leave it as it is.

So, letā€™s say you have a 48kHz file.

Non-Oversampling would mean the DAC does a single take on each of those samples.
The way to tell that is to stick probes inside the device where the oscillator (likely an even multiple of 48kHz for better jitter performance) has gone through a binary counter (in order to bring the clock down to whatever is desired).

You will NOT see if the device does oversampling on the output signal since, and that is explained in great detail in the video linked above, the output filter cuts off at 20kHz (or rolls of from 20kHz to 22.1kHz in case of CD-spec).

So, to verify NOS or OS, measure clock when going into the FPGA (I would assume, never probed around one of these) and verify no fuckery is happening by checking audio signal before the internal filter.

1 Like

Not the same but i use these cables to use the xlr to rca to other amps on top of using the rca outs to other amps simultaneously. Got the cable in yesterday and they work.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4785

Cant speak on degradation but so far with 600ohm cans, I dont notice. Havent done comparisons but this does it for me when I want all my amps running from the same source at the same time.

1 Like

I found on the amps ive used,

Asgard 3 OS i like the smoothed off highs on the asgard but i like what the ares does in OS for the asgard in adding a more open sounding quality to them and improving the smoothed off highs to a point where i feel like i enjoy it more. Less laid back on the ares ii vs e30 in comparison which is why I decided on picking up the ares ii and the air and highs that os provide make it my preference.

Lake People Rs-08 NOS the extra air and highs on OS were a bit much for my ears and NOS evened the sound to my preferences.

Liquid Platinum OS. I think with its large soundstage, the airy openess? helps accentuate those qualities.

Still need to give the bottlehead crack and emotiva a100 a go with the ares.

1 Like

Ahh, that makes a bit more sense to me as to why you might like OS over NOS, since Iā€™ve been trying out OS for the past couple days and I just canā€™t deal with it on some tracks. It gets super sharp at times and I canā€™t get past it being sharp to analyse any other details that it does differently. This is likely because I am using it with the RNHP/Monotor most of the time which are more neutral amps, although I have tried it with the Lyr 3 and still found it to be quite sharp. I also find that the slow filter is straight up noticeably sluggish and just makes listening to anything a slog. NOS for me personally is by far the best since it doesnā€™t have the sharpness issues, is much faster than the slow OS filter, and has noticeably better spatial reproduction to my ear which is one of the main things I listen out for alongside bass reproduction.

4 Likes

Yeah i agree, the sharpness gets to me at times as well OS. The bass reproduction on NOS is also something i like very much.

2 Likes