🔷 Denafrips Ares II

I can confidently the Bifrost 2 does everything I toss at it so well, I could be happy with just this DAC if I wasn’t picky or a perfectionist. I have yet to throw a song at it I don’t enjoy on it and only after the GS-X Mini do I want something honestly a bit more detailed and maybe forward… but if someone wants my BF2 they’ll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

5 Likes

Look at what just arrived :slight_smile:

19 Likes

You lucky bastard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :call_me_hand:t2: :nerd_face:
Welcome to the Ares ii club: we have secret hand shakes and matching jackets and don’t talk to people with a Schiit stack or non-R2R-believers :robot:

I hope you like your Ares ii as much as I like mine :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I want to just keep turning up the music lol.

If only I had gotten more than 4 hours of sleep :stuck_out_tongue:

I also like this speedy response by Alvin on Head-fi on the Ares thread…

Alvin is on Zach level re service, he really tries to help his customers.

I was aware of #1 and mine is always on, but #2 is new to me, so thx for sharing :+1:t3:

1 Like

Do you got a link for the Head-fi/Ares ii thread?
I can’t find it.

2 Likes
1 Like

Can’t wait to hear about it. Could you let me know how it pairs with the Erish and how it’s different than the enog2? Maybe with the Andover if you still have it and the clears and eikon. Thanks!

Just sold the PMs. Will likely not compare with enog until I get a usb cable as switching the optical input is a fucking pain.

Will let you know how it works with the Erish and my cans.

1 Like

I was thinking about getting an elex(or if I find a good deal on some clears) and Ares and using the Erish with it.

So, only keep one amp connected at a time?

That seems odd. I like to use RCA and XLR, split to always have the option of four amps.

So, I would guess he is not fan of running split cables at all?

It’s the way the DAC is designed internally. I would assume that this is a conscious design choice.

I don’t mind that at all. 10 seconds to switch physical outputs.

If you realllllly want multiple amps just run XLR to a switch.

Get the clears over the Elex (if the comparison with the Elegia is accurate) any day. Would highly recommend just going enog + erish + clears and upgrading later. The clears will keep up with the upgrades. Use the money you save to get a better cable than the pos board that Focal gives you.

3 Likes

Yea i have hart cables on the way for sundaras and focal. Thanks for the req. You like your clears over the eikon right?

Yea. I just picked up an OFC ZMF cable for the Eikons and a usb a to b. I use a hart cable for my clears.

Not really, no. Depends on the mood. If I’m listening for mood or acoustic, Eikons. Listening for analyzing or detail, Clears. They’re pretty on par with each other in terms of technical chops with what I have right now. Clears are the more obviously detailed can, but the Eikons hold their own there while giving the music and staging a more natural feel. They are both consummate all-rounders.

Back to the Ares. This is nice, but very different from the Enog. Will have to nail down my thoughts over the next few days, but am liking it so far. Just waiting for the RS-08 on Monday to see what it’ll do with an even better amp.

3 Likes

How do you like the eikon on the Erish? I may lean more towards eikon/auteur for a more fun sound than the clears though.

Not a conversation for the Ares II thread lol. Throw it to me on the Eikon or Erish thread or in pms.

1 Like

Hey @M0N. If I have a Topping D50S + RNHP, will I get a greater improvement if I upgrade the D50S to an Ares II? Or if I upgrade the RNHP to something like a GS-X mini or V280?

With which headphones in mind? Generally I would say the amp first for the most improvement imo in this case

I was just thinking in general. But we can say Clear and HD800S. I’ll prioritize the amp if you think that’s more worthwhile