Denafrips Ares or Drop Airist

I agree entirely with both of you, and Mon, I knew exactly what you meant!:laughing:

I do believe that measurements have some worth. Those measurements told me that there isnā€™t any remotely audible noise. It told me that channel matching is good, and that performance doesnā€™t change much with the signal modulation (volume). And that distortion artifacts are inaudible also. Of course that is probably true of many If not most quality dacs. This is where some of the ASR-inatti start to lose their high ground. They will proclaim one inaudible measurement superior to another inaudible measurement.

I didnā€™t mean to turn this into one of those endless objectivist vs subjectivist things. Especially since I donā€™t belong in either camp (or maybe both!).

I wonā€™t ignore carefully measured data. Iā€™m also not confident that there arent things that are missed by the current set of measurements. Especially once you throw in additional variables of the signal chain and how they all work together.

And believe it or not, these measurements pushed me to order an Ares. Iā€™ll report back in April!!!:laughing:

1 Like

Exactly, you should be in the middle, you use measurements to complement your real world experience, not use measurements to supplement experience. You use measurements to make sure nothing is glaringly wrong and that everything in your setup will work nicely, and even at times perhaps predict what something might sound like (although I donā€™t suggest doing this). Subjective for everything else

2 Likes

Amen brother! Couldnā€™t be said better, or from a more experienced speaker.

1 Like

Easy answer for an engineer.
In the workplace and much of life, you get what you reward.
Noise floor, SNR or SINAD are trivially measurable single metrics that you can use to define success in your job.
Now imagine the engineer whoā€™s given the task to design an amp that sounds better than the RNHP, how do you measure success if the whole premise is subjective?
Thatā€™s not a situation most engineers want to be in, especially if their bonuses depend on the metrics.

To do that sort of work requires a company culture that supports it.

There is a really good interview with Nelson Pass on Steve Gutenburgs channel where he covers some of how it was done at Pass Labs. They would make up multiple amplifiers in identical cases and have one of there employees (who was considered to have a very good ear) take them home and listen for extended periods. Heā€™s occasional put two of the same amplifier in the test as a way to validate the opinions.

4 Likes

This is a problem in non-engineering situations also. Iā€™ve encountered many situations where ā€œmanaging to the metricā€ doesnā€™t result in overall success. [To be fair it often can produce good results.] It does, however, always provide directors and their VPs something to point to during their annual reviews and say ā€œI believe weā€™re making progress. Here, here and here!ā€

This is a great practice, imo! Itā€™s using an objective process to produce subjective excellence.

1 Like

Just had this conversation with my AVP yesterday as Iā€™m in the middle of goal setting for 2020. Some goals canā€™t be measured in conventional ways but it doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re not good goals. The short answer to your question is sales.

The ultimate measure of success is how well did it sell. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I work for the commercial arm of my large corporation and of course this is where the rubber meets the road, of course. However Iā€™m always encountering situations where lots of teams with poor sales have good metrics. Process metrics and goals have to align with real world success, and it often doesnā€™t work out that way. The problem? Some of the practices that produce success canā€™t be measured.

3 Likes

Yes sales is always a good fallback, but even itā€™s not always a good metric.
Relying on sales alone means that sites like ASR get undue influence because of the large membership.
I think innovative companies and good managers include metrics but look longer term, an see past pure metrics.

Metrics clearly have a place in management, but they can be very dangerous.
I worked in Bing for a while at one point (not directly on search), they introduced a metric that measured the difference in the quality of their search results and Googleā€™s, it led to a very rapid closing of the gap, even with the much smaller index they had at the time.

As the results approached parity, the same metric basically prevented innovation, teams were assessed every 6 months on a single metric, if you couldnā€™t move the needle you didnā€™t get your bonus, so teams refused to take external dependencies that would risk their 6 month measurement cycle and were excessively conservative in what they would try.

1 Like

Which was my argument. Itā€™s frustrating to propose a goal that you know you can hit because customers are telling you they want that yet since it canā€™t be measured thereā€™s push back on the viability of it as a goal.

Thatā€™s ultimately why I mention sales in lieu of those tangible metrics. Getting this back on trackā€¦ R-2R DACs seem to be rich in that intangible yet very real substance that people like yet donā€™t do well when measured. R-2R DACS seem to be the digital counterpart to class A tube amps.

4 Likes

Pretty much, this is how I explain it to people sometimes

The real fun is when you have tubes in your r2r dac, pretty dang sweet ngl

2 Likes

Brilliant! Well said.

And in terms of class AB amps, I may just stack the Ares with a RNHP and call it a HFGuides stack. :grin::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

To be fair, Iā€™m a member of ASR and Iā€™d like to think Iā€™m a rational person.

That being said, most of the ASR site members are measurement worshippers who need to learn that most of those measurement methods used by Amir are completely inaudible.

The best contribution that ASR has provided is transparency as far as price to performance considerations. Even this contribution is one that ASR doesnā€™t own to itself, but boy do some of them act that way.

Bottom line: I have always believed that measurements are a good thingā€¦but the variable that is being measured and how itā€™s being measured are what is most important. If you have to spend more than a few sentences explaining your measurements, your method of measuring is either way too specific or niche to be valuable, or those measurements are not detailed enough to have any added value to itā€™s core readers. ASR is a prime example of a Group Think mentality.

Edit: Hifiguides is a better site anyways, lol.

2 Likes

Hazi, Iā€™m glad you said that. I agree entirely with your assessment of ASRā€™s contributions.

I should have mentioned that I am, too. I donā€™t comment a lot, but I read almost every new review.

Though occasionally I just see the headless Pink Panther and skip it. :grin:

3 Likes

Lol, Iā€™ve been a fan of The Pink Panther since childhood, so that is a sentimental bias for me. Amirā€¦tugging at my childhood heartstringsā€¦but that canā€™t be quantified and measured, so eff me right, lol?

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess what bothered me the mostā€¦ is going through that threadā€¦ someone came in there and decided to describe the sound of the Ares 2 in more ā€œfluffy audiophile termsā€ā€¦ and then a number of people jumped on the guy, putting him down and being just plain awful.
I find the audiophile fluff stuff to be plenty silly at timeā€¦ but there is never any reason to treat other human beings with that kind of distasteful attitude. Itā€™s just fucking audio gearā€¦
Itā€™s kind of gross, IMOā€¦ when people act that way. And it turns into straight ā€œother-ismā€ when they start referring and talking about other people who donā€™t share their opinion and mindset of ā€œmeasurements are kingā€ mentality.

6 Likes

The Pink Panther can be measured (about 4" without head, 5" without), but your emotions canā€™t be measured. At least thatā€™s what the compulsive measurebaters would say. :grin:

1 Like

Also, I apologize for my wordy response, but it definitely is necessary when discussing something like measurements.

2 Likes

So Iā€™m curious, you follow measurements, but if I recall correctly you donā€™t believe in burn in? I can understand not believing that burn in makes a significant audible difference, but do you also feel that burn in doesnā€™t exist in general? If you want to get scientific you really canā€™t deny burn in, you can deny it makes a difference though

1 Like

Amen and I agree with you. Had I witnessed that first hand, Iā€™d probably be banned from that site for sticking up for the guy they attacked with the mob mentality. I was bullied as a youngster until I started boxing, wrestling, playing organized sports and lifting weights. Because of that, I go way out of my way to vigilante bully the bullies, so to speak. Nobodyā€™s opinion is worth any more than anotherā€™s just because it fits a majority narrative.

2 Likes