Denafrips Ares or Drop Airist

Can I “heart” this one twice?

Civility and valuing individuality is most important, IMO. Doubly so where expensive toys are concerned.

1 Like

Amen. :heart:

2 Likes

No, burn in exists but I would argue that most cases of headphone burn in are inaudible. Easier to hear on speakers.

My biggest problem with burn in is the scenario where Joe Schmuckatelli says that his Hifiman Mandolorian Delorean Headphones sounded awful, he burnt them in with pink noise for 200 hours and they sound completely different now. Joe Schmuckatelli is a douchelord…don’t be Joe Schmuckatelli, lmfao.

3 Likes

The problem with ASR in general from the outside is it’s very much the cult of Amir.
All Internet forums are like that to some extent, but ASR is particularly bad
They really are not open to any criticism or different viewpoints.
Amir has on several occasions made measurements that do not align with other reasonably well trusted sources, when he is called out on it, he gets very defensive and the rest of the site falls in line.
Worse if you look at how he sometimes presents data, it has clear bias, he’ll change the scale on Graphs for products from manufacturers he doesn’t like to emphasize “problems”.
The most recent example of this I can think of was his Yggdrasil review, to get the full story you pretty much have to read ASR, Head-Fi, and SBAF.

The fact he admits to not listening to equipment rules out any opinion he has to me.

Measurements are a useful tool, but they can be heavily influenced by methodology, and they tell only a very small part of the story.

3 Likes

Gotcha, just wanted to confirm :+1:

Also not around many Joe Schmuckatelli which is nice lol

2 Likes

How can you measure things like transients and soundstage?

I feel as though there are certain audible qualities that can’t be measured.

Edit:
I’m for measurements, by the way. I just don’t believe that they capture all of the qualities of equipment.

An example is the dac I’m saving for is the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA. It’s a measurements guys’ dream.

2 Likes

Many different points being made here. The 1 common theme though comes down to being respectful to opposing viewpoints, no matter how much you disagree. This is something ASR continues to struggle with, but most of them don’t see this as a problem unfortunately.

3 Likes

:triangular_flag_on_post: :laughing:, kidding.

Exactly. And unless Amir measures every audio consumers hearing, physical ear dimensions, and chain of gear…even his valuable measurements are only relevant as a case study and perspective of performance capabilities.

Example… my vehicle speedometer goes up to 140 MPH…but if I never intend to drive over 70 MPH, what do I care if it goes from 100 to 140 better than any other vehicle on the market?

It’s like being rich, but pissed off that the shade of green on your personal cash is not as bright as rich person x.

Kinda pessimistic, but totally stupid to think this is the only way one can set a value on a piece of equipment.

1 Like

I actually withdrew it because of the potential for misunderstanding. But of course 100% joking. Poe’s law and all that. Nuttin but love for the ideas and attitudes here!!

2 Likes

I know. I thought it was funny given the context. :blush:

2 Likes

Bottom line, don’t be Joe Schmuckatelli…nobody likes that freaking guy. :laughing:

3 Likes

:100:

Be cool. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m curious to try one of these Dac’s, maybe. I happen to like the sound of each and everyone of my own Dacs, sometimes i can hear the differences and sometimes i can’t. I do get curious tho and often want at least a sample of each type of equipment. Part of the pleasure i get from this hobby is mixing and matching equipment to understand it better and get a sense of all the flavors of sound available to us. nSome genres mate better with some systems than others.

It’s just like how i research and learn, i belong to and read ASR, diyaudio, Audiocircle, Head-Fi, Stereophyle, audioholics and several other sites. I form an opinion and then look for items i can afford. My lists are long and i jump on seemingly good deals when i can find them and when the it seem somewhat different from what i already own.

I’ve used ASR for years, and it’s someplace i look to as a reference. I also take recommendations from friends with more experience, my own personal preferences and sometimes blind luck based on brand name and reputation of the manufacturer.

4 Likes