🔷 Denon AH-D5200

This is the official thread for the Denon AH-D5200

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: Over Ear
  • Amp needed: Yes
  • Closed Back

:red_circle: Denon Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews…

2 Likes

Josh has made a review of these cans:

I’m interested in their entry level AH-1200

I heard the D1200, I found it have a plasticky timbre. It doesn’t actually use biodyna driver. If that’s sth that interests you I’d suggest Denon MM400

1 Like

Oh damn, thanks for the tip. I was attracted to those cans, mostly because I thought it was biodyna at such a low cost. I’ve been looking at the Denon brand and the Emu brand, as they both modify Fostex’s higher range products.

Guess I’ll just quietly save my money before I buy a decent pair of closed-back cans to upgrade my Yamaha HPH-MT5s :sob:

So EMU uses 40mm and 50mm Fostex driver, so did the old Denon D1000/2000/5000/7000 but since then Denon started making their in house biodyna driver (called free edge), the lineup was replaced by D340/D600/D7100. There’s also the transitional poorly regarded D1100 and anniversary edition A100 during this period.

Then it was replaced by MM400/D5200/D7200/D9200. To be precise the MM400 is more like a transition product between these two generations but you can definitely see it looks more similar to the new X200 lineup than the D1200 (which uses no wood at all).

The D1200 is more like a consumer headphone that doesn’t use biodyna driver. Depends on whether you want the Fostex sound or Denon sound, for the former you can go for Creative Aurvana Live or EMU Walnut or Purpleheart, which are all based on the 40mm Fostex driver as the D1000, for the latter go for MM400.

1 Like

That’s a load of information, but very welcomed nonetheless. Thank you, I’ll be doing my research on those cans :pray:

1 Like

I’ve heard/had most of these so feel free to PM / create a new thread if you have made up ur mind on which one

1 Like

Oh, speaking of the Emu Walmut, what do you think of the Teaks? Comparing prices with the D5200, the Teaks strike my fancy more.

The Teaks are quite nice, I personally prefer them to the Fostex X00/TH610, theres plenty of info in another thread. They are pretty different from D5200, again depending on your preferences

1 Like