Denon PMA-600NE

So, I think if you were to prioritize speakers this is a great option. But I think the atom and d10 stack would be better if you prioritize headphones, as the headphone out is just ok

Thanks for the reply.

I was planning on using both equally so I guess I’ll wait for Black Friday and see what’s what.

If you wanted to spend a bit more, if you got this amp and the atom, you could run the line out from this amp to the atom and use it as a dac, then you would get the best of both worlds imo. I would assume that would kinda be what you are looking for

hmmm if I wanted to get this to power my left/right channels and my sub would I still be able to use this with my Yamaha RX-V381 which has my center channel and possibly added surrounds in the future?

basically can I use this with my AV receiver, and how would I wire it? I want something a little better quality for music listening but still would like to use my 3.1 for movies.

Hmm, so to use this you would have to convert the speaker outs into a usable signal with a high level to a low level rca converter. You would also want to look for something like a pure power amp tbh over an integrated like this amp

okay any suggestions for a power amp? I’m running a pair of KEF Q100 atm and might be looking to upgrade in the future, possibly to a pair of svs ultra bookshelfs. also would I still need a rca converter if went with a power amp instead?

I really like my ultra bookshelfs, nice speakers but a bit more amp dependent than some. You need a rca converter if you want to use the other amp. I’m a bit worried that it will be a determent to the quality imo, as its not going to be that clean of a signal. I just wouldn’t recommend getting a nice amp and then using the output of your avr. I think the parasound newclassic 275 v.2 is a great amp at a great price. Of course there is also the parasound newclassic 2125 v.2 which is pretty sweet as well

1 Like

Okay so I’ve been doing a little reading on the subject, and it seems like my problem is that my AV receiver doesn’t have pre-outs… which makes it hard to accomplish what I’m going for. Seems like I will need to upgrade my receiver as well.

So I need an AV receiver that has pre-outs for the left and right channels that bypass the units amplification and output a analogue signal. Then I need to get a power amplifier that has a dedicated RCA input for AV receivers, this way I can bypass the units volume control and control everything from the receiver instead.

sounds like a lot of spending on my part lol. Am i missing anything here? Also this might be worth mentioning but I’m currently running everything out of a 12’x12’ room, so it’s not a huge space and it’s pretty packed full as well. Is it worth getting the stereo amp with this small of a room to work with?

Don’t really plan on implementing any of this until next year, but figured why not start planning now.

Well I’m not super knowledgeable on av receivers, but depending on how much you would like to spend, you could get a preamp/processor and power amp setup. That way the preamp/processor decodes the signal and outputs via rca or xlr to the power amps. That way you can prioritize the poweramps of the front lr and get a cheaper workhorse poweramp for the surrounds. You can sometimes find good refurb deals or used deals

ah I didn’t even think of that as a solution, just cut out the AV receiver. So I would need a surround preamp/processor and either a surround power amp or separate poweramps for different speakers…

yeah looking at some prices on some of the options and this is getting pricey haha.

1 Like

Try the used markets if you can as there can be better deals had over there imo. The preamp/processor might be more expensive for a modern one, but finding good poweramps for cheap isn’t as hard. This setup is just way more flexible and cheaper in the long run imo

will do, thanks for the help! yeah separates definitely seem so much more flexible and better overall.

If you find something you have questions on feel free to send me a dm or something and I can help you out

1 Like

Would you recommend this amp to drive RB42s for a home theatre type setup?

Yeah, I think it could get the job done depending on how loud you push them though

Bought the PMA-600NE on black friday, but it was only shipped to me in the middle of christmas due to it being out of stock (even though i got the order in).

I’ve tried to compare it to 2 of my other amps (or rahter, 1 stereo amp, and a surround receiver), with my Bowers & Wilkins 685s2 and Dali Zensor1 speakers. The amps in question are the Yamaha AS501 and the Onkyo tx-nr626. I don’t have “switching” gear for a-b comparison on the fly, so i might be looking at it with my “new gadget” glasses :slight_smile:

My initial impressions are that the Denon is a small step ahead of the Yamaha AS501 with both set of speakers, and a step further ahead of the Onkyo tx-nr626 receiver. The sound of the Denon seems a bit “fuller” than the Yamaha, and compared to the Onkyo it also sounds less processed. Mind you, all where in their “source direct” / “pure direct” / “pure” mode (the onkyo i also tried in “stereo” mode as i had a small sub connected at one point, and the onkyo cuts the sub in “pure” mode). The onlyo in stereo mode gains a bit of “body” to the sound, but also sounds a bit more processed so i’ve used both modes with it in the past.

Also, at higher volumes (not earbleedingly loud), i felt the Denon had more “control” than the others, even though its the lowest rated when it comes to wattage (guess its rated with lower distortion, but i don’t have the spec sheets to really say that with any confidence).

I have not tried it with my klipsch speakers yet (RB81 II), but as those are easier to drive, power is a non issue… but the Denon might make them sound better than the Yamaha their connected to at the moment.

All in all, first impressions tell me its a small upgrade, and since it being a black friday offer also a relatively small price (also, i’m shuffeling the onkyo to replace another old amp i have, so none of the amps are going to waist). I could probably have waited, and perhaps take a bigger step up, but atleast for now i’m very happy with my purchase :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How does the volume knob feel?

I’ve got an old-ish surround receiver from Denon I quite like, with a digital knob that has a bumpy/tactile feel as the knob turns up in 0.5db increments. I haven’t seen that in other manufacturers’ stuff, so I’m curious if Denon did it on this volume pot.

I would say it feels very smooth, and no “bumps”, but adjusting the volume from the remote is a bit of a hassle as the steps on the remote are a bit too “big”, so hard to get the volume just right with the remote…

Compared to the onkyo it has replaced at my desk, the onkyo felt lighter to turn, and you had to turn a bit more for the same volume increase. The denon feels like it has more substance to it and increases the volume faster…

1 Like

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Got one for a great deal on ebay. Snagged this amp recently as an alternate to the emotiva basx a-100. Im hearing better soundstage, separation, control in the low end, and a dac that performs well. Never knew I could get the volume to such a low level and still enjoy what im hearing. A step up in refinement from the emotiva. Love watching the volume knob move with the remote adjustment.

The funny thing is, im using this amp to power cheap polk rt5 speakers. These speakers have seen multiple systems and now they get another step up in performance. Speakers might be my next move in my 2ch set up.