Desk Audio Setup "Upgrade"

Hi there :slight_smile:
First time writing on this forum, please let me know if this isn’t the right category.

I’m planning to upgrade my desk audio setup and I’d like your help.

I currently have a pair of Klipsh R-14M wired to a SMSL Sa-36A Amplifier which is plugged in an AudioBox USB 96.

I want to keep my current speakers but change the amplifier since it’s kind of cheap and when I turn the volume knob, it makes a grshhhhh noise. I’d also like to change the audio interface because I have some problems with one of the XLR inputs and with the ASIO driver.

• I’m looking for an audio interface with at least one XLR input with a 48V switch, a USB input (type C or type A, doesn’t matter), ¼" balanced output and a headphone output (separate volume knob preferred, but not mandatory). My budget is $300 CDN max with tax (~15%).

• For the amplifier, I’m just looking for a decent quality one with analog inputs. $200 CDN max including taxes.

Since I don’t have a subwoofer, I find the bass from the Klipsh a bit lacking (a 2~2.5dB increase is perfect for me, just a touch more but not too much). If there as an amp / audio interface with EQ knobs, that would be great. Although, it’s not necessary, just a +.

So, I’m no expert, but I did some research and came up with this setup. I was looking for maybe a MOTU M2 for the audio interface and a Micca OriGain Amplifier.

What do you think?

1 Like

Since you need 48V for a mike you’re kind of limited in your choices. That MOTU has been well reviewed, there’s also the Focusrite Scarlett, a popular choice.

Since you’ve already got the DAC you don’t need to buy an AMP with a built in DAC, and the Micca one is probably inferior to the one you’d have on the MOTU anyway.

A great warm amp is the Emotiva A 100 but it’s a little outside of your price range. It’s a solid headphone amp as well. If cost is limiting though I’d take a look at the Topping PA3.

aren’t they identical to the ones on the SMSL amp you have? Screenshot_2020-07-22 SMSL Audio Component Amplifier, Black, SA-36A(Black) Amazon ca Electronics

Yes, these outputs.
I have speaker wire going to the R/L of each speaker.

What would be the difference between these two PA3?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073QGNCM7/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_bHegFbCVJ7EFR
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0757C58VJ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_nIegFbVV6Q3FE