Desk Speaker Rec's

Hello, Fellow Lovers of Music!
I am currently looking to grab a set of speakers to pair with my iFi Micro Black Label. “Un/Powered” For the past maybe 8 years I have used the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX. I have enjoyed the sound but am looking to step up. “Total novice when it comes to speakers” Would there be something small + semi-portable. Would the iFi BL be enough power for a reasonable upgrade to the Klipsch or would I need to find a powered solution? Budget is 300-500$

Current Chain AMHD > iFi BL > Tuba

Thank you!

you won’t power much of anything off of the ifi micro black label speaker wise. that being said, there are plenty of good powered speakers and lots of good amps for not much money. if space may be an issue, i would go powered. if you have the room, passive can be great to. whats primary purpose? what kind of music do you listen to? are you keeping the sub from the promedia?

Primary purpose would be a counterpart to my VC and Grado’s. Sound signature wise i very much enjoy the Klipsch sound but am not obverse to looking outside of that. I have seen the Micca RB24 recommended several times but i would need to find a desktop amp solution. Music would be the primary use case. Music would range through everything but country and death metal/screaming. I could re use the sub but would prefer to have something new and or maybe omit the sub.

and the more i think about it, your best bang for buck would be powered since you already have a volume knob with the black label.

the jbl studio monitors get great reviews. but they are not on sale atm, i would wait for a sale if you go that route. they run really good sales on them.

any of the kanto’s are great for desktop use.

the audioengine/swans/edifiers are good as well

2 Likes

your could also get the klipsch powered monitors. i think they are even on sale atm.

edit: nm, looks like sale ended.

Thank you for the info. Since I am so familiar with the Klipsh sound I will keep that in mind. Seams to come back down to just sticking with the Klipsch but moving up.

1 Like

adam audio also has a bigger brother with a 7" woofer that digs a little deaper for 100$/pair more. They are also coming out with an 8" version soon that has floorstander low range. 600$/ pair for those though when they come out.

1 Like

It truly is a bit nutty what the ProMedia 2.1 can push out.

i like my klipsch. if you have patience and are content enough, wait for a sale. they always have sales on everything at least once a year. well everything but the heritage stuff and the RF III’s.

my buddy has been using them forever, killed the original amp and is using a fiio to power them now lol.

edit: they are one of, if not the best, mini computer style speaker on the market.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about our speakers!

There are plenty of good, small and relatively cheap class D amps that you could use with micca rb42 or other passive speakers. SMSL has a bunch of them and topping has the pa3. Could be worth looking into. Passive speakers can more often be found used for good prices as well so that might be something worth concidering.

Thank you all for your feedback.

if you don{t mind a couple of scuffs i{m interested in selling my miccarb42s and the Pa amp that i bought with them. been meaning to sell them

I regret not buying active speakers for my desk and intend to replace my MB42x with some eventually to help reduce the number of boxes. With actives an Asgard 3 with a dac card in it would be all I need. Or even just an xduoo xd-5.

By the way, RB42 are really great. Mine are attached to the tv.

Thank you for the offer. I will stick with a powered option for now since it is more in line with my current chain. I am leaning into the Klipsch.

As a personal preference from experience I tend to avoid any used items. It is not anything personal. If something is gonna GetPhukt… I would rather be the one to do it. “Preferably nothing does” :slight_smile:

1 Like