Dethonray Honey H1

Has anyone here tried pairing the Honey with Argons? I’m so tempted to go for the H1 but concerned about it’s ability to drive T60s.

My argons are SE and they did not work. TBH, I suspect you would be fine with balanced argons, but I cant confirm that directly

Thanks for the reply… My Argons are balanced so I guess I’m still in the running!

1 Like

I’ve upgraded to version 3.3 things seem much more stable. I also seem to have found my pairing preference with 2009 Grado GS1.

1 Like

Could you ad a topping bc3 bluetooth receiver to the Honey H1 and bypass the topping Dac, just use it as bluetooth ?

Only if you can go out usb to the usb in on the Honey H1.

Anyone try the Honey with items? I’m curious how the P1s would fair on the Honey. Has it been able to handle most all headphones for you guys, besides maybe 600ohm options?
Anyone have any recommendations for a desktop equivalent to the Honey?

i haven’t had time yet to try the honey with the P1s, but i would NOT recommend them with the P2s! I’m not that experiences in curves etc., but with the P2s, it sounded like these are two devices with a rather similar sound signature, resulting in some frequencies in the high midrange or lower trebles to have huge peaks. It wasn’t an issue with all albums, but i couldn’t stand some metal albums i’ve listened to. It sounded like way too much of a good thing and nearly puked.

1 Like

Anyone ever had their honey h1 payback sound out of phase? I intially bought the honey through Amazon but ended up returning it, for multiple reasons, but partly due to it persistently playing out of phase. Then I picked up a used honey and it doesn’t have the problems my old unit has but has now started playing out of phase one again.

I’ve reinstalled the drivers and installed many different versions of the firmware. Anyone that’s familiar with the unit have any ideas or experience with this issue?

I have never had this issue. I have had the same unit for 8 months and use it for at least a hour or two every day. How do you know it’s out of phase? Can you test it and show us?

2 Likes

I use this to test speaker polarity check - test tone - YouTube . It’s weird I’ve tried starting it unpowered or powered, both sensitive iem and normal firmware revisions. I’ve changed the device settings in windows and I’ve tried using it with my phone and windows PC. It usually just randomly decides to start working correctly (in phase) after I’ve restarted the unit a few times or it just starts up no issue first try.

I’m happy with the performance and plan on keeping the unit for the foreseeable future. That being said if I do eventually look to resell the unit I want it to be fully functional, so I need to figure out a way for the unit to play in phase 100% of the time.

I have the same issue, something has been sounding a little off and when testing with a youtube video like you link above, it’s out of phase, i’ve tested with 2 different headphones, both single ended and balanced through the use of adapters. My unit though doesn’t seem to ever start in phase.

I’ve tested the headphones on my ifi go blu to make sure both sets are wired correctly (they are).

Does any know if this is a setting in the firmware update tool i’ve inadvertently changed? Or if there’s something else i can do to fix this?

Otherwise i might as Hart audio cables to make a custom interconnect to flip the polarity on one of the channels. As my unit is consistently wrong at least that’ll get me back to where i’m supposed to be.

1 Like

I’m almost certain it’s a firmware issue (which means it’s theoretically fixable) and I think most people just didn’t bother with upgrading the firmware, or at least in a way that causes this issue. Simultaneously glad and sad that other people are experiencing the same issue. Oh well.

If you end up finding out how to fix this issue or what is causing it def post it on the thread. I’m over trying to fix it after spending so much time trying to figure out how to fix it when I upgraded the firmware.

I have the newest firmware and have tried both the Ultraman firmware and the normal firmware. I never have had this issue with any of the firmware released. Maybe one of the settings in the Mcfly software was off when you updated the firmware? Probably not but maybe it is something that simple?

I contacted the manufacturer and the retailer (hifigo) they opened a service ticket and asked me to return the unit for testing and repair.

It was delivered to Hifigo yesterday so it should be back with Anson at dethonray soon.

I’ll update here once they come back with their findings.

Hopefully they do find something software related and it’s an easy fix for the other affected units without having to return to base.

Well I got the unit back from Dethonray late Jan and it worked!! Id forgotten about this thread and was happy just listening.

Then I updated the firmware to ultraman 3.9 for a little extra volume out of my DCA noires and it went out of phase again.

Anson at dethonray has just sent me another firmware pack to resolve the issue, he noted it as a firmware problem following the return to base.

Now I don’t know if that’s a problem for all honey H1s or just a subset of units that have a strange interaction with some firmware builds. I’ll be trying tomorrow evening once home from a work trip and I’ll post my results

If anyone else is experiencing the out of phase issue, do reach out and I’ll share the build

Chris

1 Like

Tested, all working correctly again.

Looks like the v4.0 firmware corrects this issue for my unit at least

1 Like