Different cables do sound different

Fun fact, science existed for almost 3000 years before we had fancy machines and computers to measure signal distortions. In fact, most of the foundational scientific knowledge we have today is based on observations made by human eyes and ears. We charted the night sky, figured out where Earth is relative to the sun, figured out the Earth is approximately spherical, mapped the planet, described fundamentals laws of motion, discovered the entire field of genetics, and pretty accurately described the proliferation of life on this planet (and more!) by simply being careful about how we use our nature-given senses. It’s 100% possible for an audiophile to be careful and intentional about what they observe and to do science without hooking up a circuit measuring rig. It’s then 100% reasonable for that audiophile to then say to the community “here are the differences I heard.” Then we talk about it and debate it and compare results and so forth. By the way, this last bit about presenting and debating our findings, is also how science does things.

So let’s keep Pinocchio emojis and weak excuses like" obviously it was light hearted" to ourselves and be respectful in talking about what we hear and what we know.

10 Likes

No, thanks. We have machines that can accurately measure the frequencies as well those that can measure audio input directly and be analyzed further to a high degree of accuracy. Audio science now is not what astronomy was even 100 years ago. Not sure why you are telling me to stop doing anything, I am here since you keep replying and that is it.

I dont think cable purity grades affect anything after a certain point i will arbitrarily say $40 or so, but materials like copper vs silver can actually change the sound. I’ve found that silver adds treble, whereas OFC is standard.

2 Likes

How is random emoji “right”?

Skin Effect in power transmission is a big consideration as the losses even at the low 50 (or 60) Hz quickly add up. So you could totally, if by chance or intention, build a cable to attenuate certain frequencies.
I rarely see anyone talk about this in audio.

There is also the thermo-electric effect (caused by mixed metal junctions) that to my knowledge nobody in the audio world took an in-depth look at. Having stray DC bias where you don’t want it is bad (depending on application).

And then what?
Numbers only mean anything when you know two things about them:

• How they were obtained
    Banging two rocks together until one of them breaks is meaningless when the mineral type is unknown.

• What they quantify
    I got 42! - 42 what?

8 Likes

And also how it translates to our experience. Most of the time we can have a bazillion of readings, but we simply don’t know what it means in relation to our experience.

1 Like

I was pretty shocked the first time I noticed this. I brought my lcd2c to my local headphone dealer and tried out their balanced cables. When I randomly grabbed a cable and started listening, I couldn’t believe how crappy it sounded. After asking the owner, I found it was a $2k Nordost silver cable. Dark cables + dark headphones sound like crap. Sounds like it would of been a great match for the HD800S though.

I later tried my hand at customs cables and I found out quickly how van damme cable sounds different from mogami cable. cough Mogami kills van damme cough Periapt makes my favourite custom cable, but I’ve never tried hart cables.

I have an electronics engineering background, but I’m amazed at how my ears tell me one thing when measurements say otherwise.

1 Like

but this amp goes to 11.
spinal tap reference for you less experienced in age.

8 Likes

This is pretty much exactly what I found.

The difference I hear between copper and silver cables doesn’t have much to do with frequency response. It is a difference in the weight of the music and the clarity and width of the soundstage and imaging. In poorer quality cables, there is a degradation in the overall sound compared to the better cables.

I have some recommendations for my favorite cables that won’t break the bank. They aren’t cheap either if anyone is interested…

Big Mogami fan here. It’s all I will use.

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Little harsh. The mods in the community actually do care a lot.

3 Likes

I haven’t seem them do this to you publicly yet. Please either point me to the evidence of your claim or share what you’re comfortable with from any PMs you may have gotten from them. Otherwise, we don’t need accusations like this flying around the forum either.

1 Like

I mean that’s clearly a joke lol. But anyways @tehmasterer knock it off, if you are just going to continue to spam threads with garbage you will get a ban. Also @tamara don’t egg them on either, would prefer if contributions actually mean something

4 Likes

Then DM me or @WaveTheory and we can figure that out, generally I would assume someone would be more serious about something of that nature than your previous post was if that actually happened

That is true he has been somewhat spammy, and if that keeps up it will result in a ban, he’s already been warned in other threads, like to give people a chance to not be an ass, but if it happens again than he’s out

3 Likes

Yes, and he’s also been warned. Personally more someone who prefers to have hands off and let simple problems resolve themselves and only step in if really needed, also being ban happy and not giving chances to correct errors wouldn’t lead to a very good community imo

That’s a matter out of my control and better handled by proper authorities so you took the proper steps there

Anyways if you really need something DM one of the site staff, as would prefer if this thread doesn’t get too far off topic

3 Likes

what is going on here

What does that have to do with anything

Since I’m sure an audio forum is the best place to come forward on, especially in all caps when spamming a thread

Yes, I don’t make your life choices

People asking for a ban, which they will get if this continues

5 Likes

Somewhat unrelated but can apply to several things in this thread, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

3 Likes

And that’s all folks, see ya @tamara and @tehmasterer. Will be leaving this up for a bit just for context, then will clean the thread. Sorry for this disturbance in your thread @Resolution

23 Likes

Thanks for the great work as always!

1 Like

That’s all I have to say, thanks Mon. :grin:

4 Likes