Different cables do sound different

You can say that again!

It’s not mine, it’s for everyone. Thanks for taking care of whatever happened in here. I know cables are a controversial subject but I didn’t think things would evolve into a discussion about sexual harassment & rape. :woozy_face:

6 Likes

Do tell. I’m cable curious for my FDX1.

Sure. These are my favorites for very good, overall IEM cables. Would love to hear any suggestions for your favorite, great sounding cables.

For 2 pin, I like these…

Copper cable

Silver cable - available in MMCX as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N5VVKF7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For MMCX, I like these…

Copper cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GGZCFD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Silver cable - This one is a bit iffy vs my other choices. It’s $100 and quite thin, but again, it is a fantastic cable and my favorite MMCX silver cable.
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-LC-2-5D-High-Purity-Monocrystalline-Replacement/dp/B07RZRMRG1/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=fiio+cable&qid=1613141176&s=industrial&sr=1-4

1 Like

Lol. It went pretty far afield, for sure. I think someone was really bored…

I haven’t had much opportunity to really check for sonic differences in cabling. However, I have some stuff coming in soon that should give me a decent chance to give a listen and weigh in.

The scientist in me is admittely torn on the issue. Any conductor will have measureable conductivity/resistivity (those are reciprocal quantities) and various other signal-carrying properties. So it is possible to measure some differences. However, numerous listeners report hearing differences beyond what we can measure. The scientist in me also admits to what I said in a post above - using our own senses to make careful observations has always had and still plays a huge roll in doing science. In practice both the measurement-only approach to thinking about audio cables and the observation-only (which is a misleading term because a measurement is just an observation that compares a quantity to a standard, but it’s a useful term in this case, I think) approach to thinking about them are inherently flawed. The measurement approach is flawed because it’s still very much up to human interpretation about what should be measured, how it should be measured, how well it was measured, etc. Then it’s further complicated because we still don’t understand all there is to know about our own hearing works and how measurements correlate with our hearing. The observation-only approach is flawed because it’s literally impossible to remove our own biases from those observations. And that gets even harder when money is involved, or if social pressure is involved.

In science the peer-review and publication process helps with both measuring - multiple fellow experts check your methods and results - as well as the more sensory-based observations - multiple experts check to see if what you report observing fits the situation or if you’re falling prey to biases in inappropriate ways. I’d like to say the scientific community is above the kind of sniping and arguing that happens in the audio cable discussion…but alas, no, we are not :unamused: We can get just as troll-y and argumentative at times, unfortunately.

One last comment which is not related to your cable discussion that I feel obliged to make as a scientist and an educator…when 97% of scientists agree on a thing, we should ALL pay attention. Scientists want to be remembered with Newton and Einstein. They want to be the first to discover new fundamental truths of our existence. So it’s also a competitive field where we inherently don’t want to agree with each other. But we care about the truth most of all. So when you get 97% of a very smart and well-educated but also very competitive (and often emtionally immature - it’s true!) group to align their thinking, it means something, and it means something important.

7 Likes

I think you can hear the grass growing if you hear a difference between cables , congrats bro you have a golden ear

2 Likes

Im slightly sarcastic on this topic, but am intrested in dunu cables due to their connectors. Have the God’s seen fit to grant them a higher sonic status as well? Looking at their price it may be worth it to just get the iem for the cable tech as well so /shrugs. Also occ, silver plated, silver, or single crystal etc etc. Do the other types do anything. Outside of copper vs silver?

The Dunu connectors are the best I’ve used, although I don’t change them as much as I originally thought I would. I’ve ended up using simple adapters for different amp sources.

These cables aren’t actually very good quality. They are thin and don’t measure well. I’m planning to get the Dunu Blanche eventually to see if it’s more special than anything I currently have.

I don’t think there’s any difference in the cable style or coatings. I know that when some cables are advertised as silver plated copper, it’s not real silver. Something to watch out for. I’ve heard some use silver looking tin. So it’s more about looking like a silver cable but it’s actually just a basic copper cable.

1 Like

Well, at least the measurements on the DUW-03 (the stock Zen/SA6 cable) are very good. 0.21-0.23 depending on the modular connector (probably within unit variation).

2 Likes

The Zen cable looks really nice. Good to hear it measures well. Waiting for that review. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Going to take a while lol.

Take your time. Just looking forward to it when it does arrive.

1 Like

one thing i noticed with my periapt cable i have for my t60 argons: have to turn the volume up a little bit higher then its stock cable. presumably from the extra resistance from a lot more metal in the cable?

i can not tell a difference in sound quality to be honest. but as others have mentioned, i think regular headphones, that normal people can afford and buy, do not benefit much from cable changes.

one thing i will say: i can jump rope with the periapt cable while using it and not hear any phonic feedback.

2 Likes

Generally the thicker the cable ie of the same material and grade = less resistance

3 Likes

Resistance is inversely proportional to a conductor’s cross-sectional area and directly proportional to its length. If the Periapt is thicker but of the same length (and assuming it’s using high quality materials - which it should be) its resistance will be lower. But if it’s significantly longer than whatever cable you’re comparing it to, then yes, it could possibly have a larger resistance. An increase in cable resistance can effect a headphone’s sound - particularly if that headphone is already low in impedance. Essentially a higher resistance cable is like having an output with high output impedance.

3 Likes

got ya. that expains it then. its longer by almost double. The more you know! thanks guys!

edit: i am pretty far from an engineer lol. but i do notice things haha.

The question I’m asking myself: is it worth it to buy/try different cables, if the one I’m using right now doesn’t feel bad? I’d be so interested in a detailed blind test: same IEM, DAC, Amp, cable length, but different priced manufactured cables of different core materials.

1 Like

on a speaker wiring note. i have vintage infinity speakers that are 2 way with a 10" woofer. i initially used 14guage million strand wire on the inside to rewire the new woofers and tweeters i replaced. the bass was lacking and anemic. i was like wtf. 10" woofer should not have anemic bass. i changed the wire going to the woofers with some made in the USA(shameless plug to USA manufacturing, go USA!) 14guage 7 strand wire, and the bass opened waaaaaay up. sounded a lot better to me with more warmth.

Tbh only you can answer that, I use one main source a iFi iDSD Micro, I have a a number of IEM’s, each IEM has been fitted with the best for me fitting/sounding tip and then they’re matched with my various cables that work best with each set up…and yeah it’s not always the biggest :dollar: cable that works best…trial and error and curiosity is the answer :+1:

if it doesn’t feel bad, I`d wave white flag. Danger is you’d hear the difference. And then, the rabbit hole would be long and deep… If the cable is long enough and connectors match with your gear, leave it. Eventually better to look for other headphones.
Having said that - if I only knew this winter would be that long and cold, Id order myself a bunch of cables to try them, just for fun and giggles…

1 Like