Disappointed with my DT770 Pro for competitive, what should I try next?

I ordered the DT770 Pro 250 ohm because it was recommended a lot along with the other Beyers for competitive gaming. I need closed-back with good isolation for LAN party use.

I’ve been really disappointed with the imaging on the DT770. I’m using Oratory1990’s EQ settings and it’s really difficult to pinpoint enemy locations with these. The only other closed-back I have experience with is my T40rp mk3 and they have significantly better imaging. As expected, my Ananda’s put all the closed backs I have to shame for competitive gaming.

So I’m back to the drawing board for a closed-back competitive gaming headphone. I would just use my T40rp mk3 but I’m having them turned into Argons, and I think the Argon mod will make them worse for gaming and will also open them up a bit. I’ve been eyeing the Shure SRH1540, AKG K553, Senn HD598 cs, and Denon AHD7200 with pad swap. I’ve heard good things about the Hyper X stuff but I refuse to buy headphones from a gaming company.

I will mainly play Valorant, CSGO, R6S, and Overwatch with these headphones.

Are there any other options I should consider?

1 Like

hmm, that doesn’t sound right… 770s image just fine did you give them ample power post EQ? Not sure why you used the EQ anyway as that can severely disrupt imaging capabilities… stock 770s work fine and I use them myself on the regular when I need that isolation in games it’s just a bit much in the bass…

Denon would be a good option but they are pretty expensive…

hell I would hope so, ananda is a bit of a beast when it comes to clarity and spaciousness lol not to mention no slouch on imaging

1 Like

I’m using an Agard 3 so I have plenty of power. I found that they had too much bass stock and the treble peak was a bit much. I don’t see how making them more neutral would ruin the imaging. Usually neutral is good for gaming. That said, now that I think about it I didn’t game with them pre EQ, so I’ll try that tonight.

Maybe I just have weird-shaped ears that ruin Beyer imaging.

Price isn’t such a concern with the Denon’s since they are also great music cans, but I’ve read that they don’t isolate well despite being “closed-back”, so I was leaning toward the Shure.

I will agree that the bass is too much, I do tell people that… unfortunately that one and the 990s just have too much bass so it can cloud up things in some fps… in some cases it can be really bad

EQ can get in the way of things like messing with clarity of sorts which can get in the way of proper placing things of course… and ya know… bass clouds footsteps as it is lol. Nothing wrong with EQ just to a certain extent.

not sure really, I keep the 770s on hand as my regular walk around headphones next to my lagoons and other closed backs. I never really bothered trying to EQ them only pad swap every now and then… I do get some issues as well but it’s like… 95% the bass being the issue… well that and upper mids since its more V shaped the upper mids arent as present which tends to throw off quite a lot of placements so maybe adjust that a bit on your EQ board may help you out a little

I can second that the isolation isn’t the best… I haven’t really bothered too much with shure, been meaning too but wasn’t sure where to start to be quite honest…

1 Like

That makes sense, the EQ I have on is pretty minor but maybe allowing a bit more treble peak would be beneficial. I just don’t want my ears to bleed from all the 12 yr old’s on comms.

Agreed, I have the upper mids boosted according to Oratory’s settings.

Honestly this review got me looking into them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL_ZrXrZcr8
He says they’re the best competitive closed back he’s tried and his channel is called “Gaming Audio Guide”.

anything that what much bass shelf gets a hard pass from me. holy hell thats the 1540 fr graph

yeah, I normally boost up the upper mids on any V signature headphone less its like… harman curve lol

yeaaah, that is an issue… I usually just mute them the moment they chime in as I don’t want my ears to bleed from it… I use a T1… bright as hell and the last thing I want to hear is that screeching lol. Im not treble intolerant but that’s just horrid

1 Like

Yeah that’s a massive bass shelf, but I’ve been paying a lot less attention to FR graphs since I discovered EQ. If it has superior imaging then it’s worth it imo.

I’m pretty sure the bass shelf on the D7200 is also significant.

Call me crazy but I’ve been considering ordering the Takstar Pro 82. All the guys over on Head-Fi are recommending the HyperX stuff and apparently, the Takstar is the same thing without a mic.

I should really do that, I keep believing that they will give valuable intel but it’s just not worth it.

would be interesting if it had that level of imaging, but I would think it would be more well known if that was the case… ill probably check shure out at some point.

they are raised but not to like that extent really and its fixable… however denons are those I do know have good imaging just not the best on soundstage admittedly.

The hyperx cloud yes, it was designed off the Takstar Pro 82 headphones as was the MH751. It’s not bad but considering the alternatives… I wouldn’t bother with it less you really needed to.

1 Like

The funny thing is that the D7200 with pad swap was Gaming Audio Guide’s previous favorite closed competitive gaming headphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubP3C1CagPI
Neither the D7200 nor SRH1540 get talked about much with regards to gaming, but they are his two favorites.

I’m thinking I may need to bother with it because the DT770’s aren’t working for me.

Here’s what one guy on Head-FI responded:
"Same boat, man. IMO the DT 770’s were unusable for CSGO compared to HyperX’s

The HyperX Cloud II’s are literally the same headset as the Takstar Pro 80’s; but, it has a microphone built in… The HyperX Cloud II is a great gaming headset.

Why refuse to give your money to a gaming company? If they produce a good product, then why lock yourself out of it?"

I’m curious, if you had to use a closed back for competitive, what would you reach for?

if I have to use competitive closed back it damn sure isn’t going to be the most -ideal- as im going to prioritize comfort at that point… venues give you trash anyway.

Sooo that would be either Denon, Closed Aeons, or 177x GO… I say 177x because it’s much more subtle V and the mids are actually present… I prefer it way over 770s honestly… aeons just sound big and are quite nice all around and denons are very damn good closed backs in general

1 Like

In general I think going open back would give you a huge upgrade. I have both the 990 and 770 and I think the sound diffrence is massive even tho price and drivers are similar.
Maybe first check out if you soundboard sucks and is the reason you’re not satisfied and think about an upgrade. You “need” it anyways if you wanna go for higher end headphones.
Also you should be careful about EQ. I have read that EQ and tonality as impact on the accuracy and image, since high frequencys at 8 khz to 10 khz are important for locating sound. Thus the beyer-peak might be important for FPS. Can’t be to sure about that one tho, I’ve never tried it, but maybe give it a shot.

Yep, as I mentioned I’m using my open back Ananda’s when I can and they are much better than any closed back for gaming. I need a closed back because I often game with other people in the same room. it’s very distracting to hear their voices in the room and then again after a slight delay through comms. I also hear all their keyboards and mouse clicks through my open backs.

I’m using an Audient ID14 into an Asgard 3 as I mentioned in my earlier post.

AH gotcha, sorry must have overread it, I was in a rush. Setup sounds decent.