DIY Cabinet for (In-Ceiling) Speaker

I recently watched Zeos’ video on rear channel speakers and his conclusion was “Bigger is better in the rear.” Also he mentioned that by laying the speaker on its back and pushing it as close to the wall as possible you can create a huge zone where the sound comes from.
In this video he was using 5.25 inch coaxial woofers with tiny boxes that are not being sold anymore. My idea was to just make them myself.

So the plan is to make the smallest possible cabinet for either a 5.25 inch car speaker or 6.5 inch in-ceiling speaker. For example the Micca M-6C 6.5" in-ceiling speakers (35$ each) seem like a great option.

Does anyone have experience in designing speaker cabinets?
Where can one find the rough outlines and equations to make sure it doesn’t sound like crap?

PS: Just mounting the speakers in the ceiling as intended is not really an option where I live since all houses are built from bricks or concrete.

just saw this. speaker cabinet design is pretty easy. however, in ceiling and car speakers are designed differently. typically they are designed for little to no “cabinet” room. I would say building it slightly larger than driver is all you would need. I would go with in ceiling over car speakers as they tend to be better on the cheaper end.

The trickiest part is mounting. for those micca’s, it looks like all you need to do is build a box large enough to house the part behind the baffle as the baffle is designed to be on top of the driver mounting surface.

Thank you! Building a speaker cabinet feels kinda scary because of the weird geometry some professional speakers have inside. However if you say that it’s pretty easy I guess I’ll give it a try :smile:

1 Like

it can get complicated with internal bracing. but for your case, you just need a small box and no bracing. your mostly just hiding stuff than building a cabinet.

even in traditional boxes its pretty easy. most raw drivers have recommended volume. driver’s take up space, bracing takes up space, xover takes up space. calculate volume of each part, add it to the base recommended volume, and you have your finished volume. and that’s just a rough estimate.

i have seen people use the box the speaker is packaged in :slightly_smiling_face: