DIY headphone 'kit' from Ali Express

Been lurkin these forums for a few months, but this is my first post. Great community!

On a whim, I took a chance on buying headphone parts from AliExpress. Took about 3 weeks for everything to show up, but it all arrived well-packaged and in good condition. I took a few hours today to put one of the “kits” together.

Using these shells with these drivers

Of course, they need some burn-in, but I’m damn impressed with how these sound! Definitely brighter than my Jubilees, but quite spacious, quick, and detailed. Bass is there - it’s clean, but I could use more. I’ll have to tinker with tuning them to take the edge off the highs and get more out of the lows.

The headband assembly is good quality - real wood cups, mostly metal band, and tapered faux-perforated leather & suede earpads. Pretty comfy - a bit tight, but that’s an easy fix with some bending. The gold-plated 2.5mm mono jacks come hot-glued to the cups, and they had thin wires already soldered. I replaced the thin wires with 20AWG wire, because, overkill. Ships with a decent cable too - cloth-covered, nice and flexible, labeled with R & L on the 2.5mm end. I’ll have to make a balanced cable & try 'em on the Geshelli.

I’ll update this thread if & when I land on a good tuning. I was bracing for disappointment, but I’m surprised to discover some space and details in my favorite tracks I hadn’t heard before!

8 Likes

Interesting first post :+1: welcome to HFGF :smiley:

2 Likes

Looks nice. What is the driver diameter?

Those are 50mm. When you purchase the shells, you can specify the size of the driver baffle cutouts; 40mm, 50mm, or 53mm. (check the links in the main post.)
I replaced the Beryllium drivers with these 50mm Graphene drivers, which reduced the sibilance.

1 Like

Those wooden honeycomb cups are beautiful. Very interesting project. Not sure I’m up for self assembly of a headphone, but cool to know it’s out there.