Do amps really have different sound signatures?

A comment on the Class A part. Because of the class A topology, assuming the power supply is propperly sized, they have a better time maintaining higher current limits at higher loads than other topologies. Thats why a lot of class As sound more powerful than their number sugest. Because instead of “5W @16 ohm, 3W @32 ohm, 1W @ 150 ohm, etc” they are more of “XmA @ all loads”

Class A has little do to do with the topology and more of the fact a resistor is working the entire time. When there is 0 sound coming out of a class A, the resistor is in the middle of it’s amplification. Class A/B means you have a class A amp in front doing work while 2 resistors (often inverting) split amplification for half for the top of the wave and half for the bottom. The time the resistors have off helps with efficiency.

DC couples class A just has to have power all the time resulting in power that is much more immediate. Supposedly. @MazeFrame may have more to comment as his studies are more recent than mine on the subject.

Power is Voltage times Current.
Writing Current or Power at a given Impedance comes out to the same thing.

Class A is a topology.
To help Class A’s miserable efficiency, they often run relatively high voltages. Combine that with low capacitance (= faster response) to get more “slam”.

The PSU argument:
While linear PSUs might have huge output caps, Switch Mode PSUs have those huge caps on the input side. Linear Regulators due to their working principles are slow. So a load transient will drag down the linear PSUs caps which will then have to recover slowly, see Bottom of Page 2 for example.
A modern SMPS will do that in roughly a quarter the time, Bottom of Page 6.
Time scales on both are 10uS per division.

(There is a reason computers use switching regulators instead of linear for CPU and GPU power regulation)

More detailed writeup on amp classes here.

I mispoke, I mean power requirements for class A has little do with the power supply (meant in terms of raw numbers). As you mentioned with the specifics of switching power supplies versus linear power supplies.

They can have very different sound signatures. I didn’t notice much difference with cheaper amps, but it becomes much more obvious as you climb the tree.
I now have a:

1. Solid State amp
  2. Hybrid (both tube and solid state) amp.
  3. Tube amp

And the three have Very different sound signatures.

You really don’t know until you start experimenting. Buying used softens the blow as you move up or sideways.

is this also a factor for dacs, kinda new.?

1 Like

It can be, but gebrraly speaking jts much less noticable outside of a few scenarios. In the lower end stuff burr brown dacs tend to be a bit smoother but also a bit more natural while cheap ess dacs can have an issue with “glare” (esentialy very forward highs). The high end is a whole different ballgame with players like chord and holo playing with staging. Tbh though, just dont worry too much about your dac if you get one that’s generally well liked. It has the lease impact on a system vs headphones and amp

ah okay, what are your thoughts on the Mayflower ARC Mk1 . if you have any , my set up is mayflower arc to my darkvoive to hd6xx I feel like the Mayflower ARC is holding it back for some reason as i cant tell due to lack of experience

TBH, even if the mayflower is holding your system back, imo, you are better off spending money on cans. they scale much faster with price than dacs or even amps do.

2 Likes

Headphones, DAC, amp is my personal preference on how to build a chain I’m looking for. Granted it seems I find a deal on something and build around that.

3 Likes

Today I read a review about the 3+ vs Heresy: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/schiit-magni-3-magni-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison

I generally like headphones.com’s review methodology, combining measurements and/or proper testing with subjectivism as well. I kinda get it now - the differences probably won’t mean much in the grand scheme of things but it can be reliably heard in blind tests for some people.

I generally don’t trust people simply saying ones sounds different than the other without doing a proper AB-blind comparison to remove potential sight bias. But with blind testing, I can’t really argue against results people give. After all, it seems Schiit themselves blind test their own products too. As for the actual subjective opinion on the sound… well it’s subjective so I’m sure there is a variation in opinion.

Still, none of this changes my own personal limits of perception. I can’t really hear the differences consciously haha.

I will say respectively that a lot the amps like the Atom, Heresy, Mayflower, etc… should all sound VERY close to one another as the designs are pretty similar. When doing op amp designs for the budget minded markets, there isn’t really a lot of variance. I hate the excuse but I’ve seen it myself, the more you spend the more the difference show up.

I can’t even hear the difference between different headphones, between with amp/dac combo and direct plugging into the pc sometimes. That’s why I always hesitate about purchasing amp/dacs. I guess my ears are not that sensitive. I’m gonna stick with my Fulla for a while because I think what I will gain from new amps are very limited.

Maybe I should plug my brain to an amp to boost it.

1 Like

What headphones did you test?

Apart from that, using some random music from YouTube is less than ideal. :wink:

1 Like

I mean, yes, but, say, elex and 2C should sound different even with a recompressed MP3…

1 Like

Now I can but the first day I received my 58X I felt it was really similar to my X2HR.

When I test headphones I only use music that I often listen to instead of those “well recorded” track that are recommned to test headphones. I’m not gonna listen to those anyway in the future so if my favorite music sound the same on the new headphones, they are not worth buying to me.

I tried Tidal and Amazon music and they sound just the same as Spotify so I unsubscribed those. Again, not based on those “Hifi Testing Tracks”, only music that I like and listen to a lot.

1 Like

Fair.
The main issue with YouTube is the relatively low bitrate. No matter how good the recording, it will make the quality worse.

1 Like

I mean, thats what matters. Ultimately if you are happy, you have reached end game. No need to hunt for gear if you arent wanting for anything

I wouldn’t even call it endgame, in general the minute you’re happy JUST STOP. There are few times in our lives one can truly be happy and when they find that with their gear just enjoy the moment.

4 Likes

But of course there’s always the rabbit hole that you can enter :wink:

1 Like