Do DACs sound Identical?

My 2 cents on the topic. DACs for me really didn’t mean that much until I spent over $300 and tracked down implementations done properly. Even more interestingly I found the characteristics between headphones, amp, and DAC really can change a sound. One of the issues I would look at is that most cheaper DACs and some expensive DACs pretty much all use the same chips with the same reference designs. Now analog implementations after Sigma Delta chips can be different but that is about it.

R-2R DACs are some of the first functional circuits EE students learn to build and assuming the resistors from ladder are precise, ladder DACs are amazing. For some of the fastest DACs in the world for communications, they’re often driven by a 12 bit R-2R DAC (on chip) in the gigahertz range where Sigma Delta DACs cannot not keep up.

1 Like

The whole speed thing surprised me. I never thought of speed when it comes to DAC’s. Man i’d really love to hear a high end DAC. I have trouble imagining a DAC sounding better than my SU8. but apparently the high end DAC’s can sound amazing.

1 Like

I noticed improvement from su-8 to Bifrost 2.

5 Likes

So what’s a non R2R DAC you’ve heard that was noticeably better than something like a Topping D50? Some time ago, I did some AB testing between my D50 and RME ADI-2 DAC. I couldn’t hear a difference at all. Although the tracks I used weren’t exceptional or anything. I haven’t tried any R2R DACs, but I will eventually.

This may sound hard to believe, but I personally believe the Geshelli labs Enog2 pro and JDS Labs El DAC sounded much better than the D50S or any Delta Sigma DAC I’ve heard under $500. They both sounded more natural in the treble comparatively to the others I’ve heard. Also, both didn’t distort much at higher volume levels.

1 Like

Personally I think you would be spending into the 5k range for a noticable sigma delta upgrade, for bang for the buck in the 1k-2k range, imo r2r is the way to go. I think if you wanted a sigma delta dac something like the dangerous music convert 2 is pretty nice

3 Likes

Well I was planning to go R2R next. I will definitely go that route now. So what about something like the Bifrost 2? I’ve only heard good things about it (but haven’t really researched it). So I figured it must be doing something to distinguish itself.

That’s interesting. I’d be very curious how many others hold that opinion.

1 Like

Imo really good for the price, very nice sounding dac, recreates space very well and isn’t harsh and sounds pretty nice

4 Likes

Sometimes I can pick up on differences in dacs easier than amps… I can’t explain it

1 Like

Wow 2500$.

I second this and agree. The Bifrost 2 is the best sounding DAC that I currently own.

2 Likes

I was just speaking on regular Delta Sigma DACs. The Bifrost 2 certainly sounds much better than the Enog2 pro or El DAC.

Got the Bitfrost 2 graded stock on offer in the UK :+1:

https://www.schiit.co.uk/schiit%20graded%20stock/Bifrost2-graded-stock

2 Likes

Maybe people should focus more on listening music and not “digital-analog-converters”?
lol

3 Likes

All part of the fun man :+1:

2 Likes

IKR
Listening to equipment is an odd hobby. Especially when the ideal setup has 0 noise ever.

At some point, someone will start to use multiple arbitrary wavefrom generators and synthesize the perfect 100% accurate signal just to discover the bitrate is now in the Gigabytes per second.

The Bifrost 2 is just a wonderful DAC. Comparing it to the Sigma Delta DACs is just the sound is so much Fuller. You hear more details and never hear a sacrifice on layering (unless your source is overly compressed digitally). Now I do have to say my Airist R-2R sounds closer to vinyl.

Given the Soekris is available and the Airist DAC can no longer be purchased + accusations of stealing the Soekris design, get the Soekris if the Bifrost 2 is too much money. If you want a DAC with balanced outputs that is multibit, the Bifrost 2 is the way to go. The Soekris based on the Airist experience single ended still will have a place in your setup in addition to the Bifrost 2 because some bass dynamics on my Airist are just richer.

When you get a ladder DAC, you start looking at Sigma Delta DACs and realizing there is a bit of integration going on where the sound can be sacrificed. What doesn’t measured but where I think R-2R would dominate is mixed signals THD numbers at multiple frequencies should measure better than Sigma Delta DACs. I say this is a suspicion because Ladder DACs sound the closest to vinyl I’ve heard in years.

3 Likes

For over 20 years I could never hear “Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins reproduced properly since I was a kid with the turn table plugged in. The Airist R-2R made that sound come back just like a kid. So I agree, but my music was tainted by Sigma Delta DACs. Now if you grew up with Sigma Delta only and that is all you know, maybe stick with it. They’re still miles better than most phones and mother boards.

I personally just like a good dac and don’t really care about the tech it uses to get there lol, just give me the good sound and I’m happy lol

5 Likes

Probably.

I have been very happy with my 2 preamp’s with 192/24bit dac’s.
As well the usability. Streaming on other from network or any device and one with TV usage.
Music comes out from speakers -> enjoy music.