Do it all closed back

You also should not need an amp if your smartphone is a LG V20, V30 etc. Apparently the amp is powerful in this.

I think the 177x go is a great choice imo. I think the 1770 pro was let down by it’s tuning, and the 177x does not have that issue imo. It can be driven off of a phone or PC from my experience adequately, and also sounds great, with better imaging and soundstage than the dt770. Also if you lean towards the dt770, I would recommend getting some sort of amp and then getting the 250 ohm as that’s the best 770 of them imo. The 32 ohm isn’t that great from my experience and is somewhat unrefined. I think the 80 ohm is better if you want to run if off of a phone, but overall I like the 250 ohm the best

1 Like

I find the better low impedance versions of this can are the custom one pro plus or custom games.

Yes, I can somewhat agree, as I would rather have those than the 32 ohm 770

1 Like

Who cares, let the jerks stare. Hey! Are you ashamed of being a nerd?

2 Likes

I already went to the store with a big beard and my HD280 Pros with the “telephone” (spiral) wire. Pretty sure someone there thought I was a terrorist. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

yeah! thats the spirit! I once went to disneyland wearing a Jecklin Float. people though i was part of the Tron ride

:joy: hahaha

Also, seriously considering bringing my T50RPs with me if I have to do a 4 hour bus trip next month.

By the way, maybe OP doesn’t know, but the mh751/752 mic is removable!

I noticed that.

Been back in the trenches watching reviews and reading posts on here and this is where I’m at…

Dt177x Go $350
Dt770 Pro 80 ohm $150

Are the differences worth the price difference? Also, I know that the 770 32ohm was squashed earlier but can anyone personally vouch for the 80ohm on a phone? And am I missing a better valued option for my criteria (no amp, gaming, sound stage, closed back)? I have headphones that require an amp so mostly after being free of that when I choose to be.

Does the mh751 really stack up to these?

I think the 177x can be run off of a phone and would be better sounding than the 770 80 ohm, but the price reflects that

2 Likes

The MH751 is really good for the price. I would highly recommend it. Plus Zeos said nothing beats how comfortable they are.
I personally found the 770 80 ohm version very irritating with how sharp and piercing the treble was. The 250 ohm version was just on the edge where I could enjoy it.
The 177x Go may have less sibilance, but I have never tried it.
The Sivga 006 and 002 are nice wood back closed backs that are low price, but I wouldn’t consider them gaming headphones. Might still be worth a look for their comfort, especially the 006.

So here’s where I’m at… currently…

Snag a pair of the Mh751 for now… then amp or not which of the following soon after??

Neumann NPH20
Argon
T50rp
177x go
X00 (but I read there’s leakage)
Missing one?

Do we like this approach and if so which one? Keep in mind these will be my only closed backs that I intend to own, presumably.

I’d personally take the Beyer over the T50RP variants (I haven’t heard the Argon), but the T50’s just have something I don’t like in the crossover from Bass to Midrange, other people seem to love them so YMMV.
I haven’t heard the X00 or Neuman’s so I can’t comment.
A lot of this is personal preference.

Zeos also really liked these. And the frequency response is also great.
And the drivers look a lot like Sony drivers.

Edit: IMHO, this is what “do-it-all” looks like. Close enough to the Harman curve that 99% of the time, nothing will hurt your ears.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#737/3161

Depends on what you want. Zeos described the Argons as the widest soundstage he has ever heard on anything except for a few thousand dollar area Fostex models. The bass is also amazing, and there is very good detail all around, especially in the treble. However, Fostex headphones do leak some. They are not technically completely closed back. Although the Argons leak very little as T50 mods go.
So if you want something with insane soundstage, solid bass and very good detail, Argon would be your best bet. They are the hardest headphone to drive properly though, so you would need a really good amplifier.
The 177x Go is going to have a narrower, smaller soundstage with more v shape, bass is going to be elevated a bit, and the highs are going to be sharper.
I would watch Zeos’ reviews on the 2 headphones and see what you think. He actually reviewed the Argons alongside Fostex’s own mod of the T50, the T60.

I would personally rate the soundstage of the 177x to be more accurate compared to the fostex but that’s just me.

Also I didn’t notice the 100k in the t60 on that picture before

So no NPH20 lovers here?? Thought they were all the rage (end game) close back?

Do you mean the ndh20? They are nice, but personally I am not the largest fan of them

1 Like

They are fantastic. Little clampy and need that good seal, but they are the only closed backs I need.