Do we really need expensive gear?

The smooth and warm signature will be a perfect match for the Aiva dont you think?

Hmmm, I think you could get the zen and a liquid spark later on if you wanted to, it would be a good choice imo. My only concern is that the aiva could use a little more juice but you should be fine

So zen now, and then liquid spark later? Just say the word and i press the buy button lol.

I think it would be pretty nice, but I think you might want to do a little more of your own research lol

Think the zen on its own will run circles around the fx audio. Thats what i hope lol

This forum is my research lol. None of the big reviewer’s have reviewed it yet. And ifi is a big name company. Doubt they will sell something that doesnt sound good.

It’s more price to dollar and also matchability imo

Agree, but think im gonna go for it. Can always return it if its not for me. Bit for $129 its a bargain imo

1 Like

Nvm i just read Amirs review and doesnt look to good. So much for the 5min excitement train lol. Thanx MON, glad I looked a bit futher

It’s not going to measure well, take into account that ASR is about measurements and not actual listening imo. They want surgical precision over there, not something that colors the sound over there. A tube amp over there is just a plan don’t buy

1 Like

Is the Burr Brown a old style of DAC chip compared to AK and ESS?

I guess it is older (but they are still being made), but they are known for an organic and pleasing sound (and sometimes sought after in certain dacs). I really like the sound of them personally

I would agree that if you only planned to use it as a dac amp combo for it’s lifetime, I think something like the fiio k5 pro might make more sense, but with your plan imo I think it would be just fine since you would add a better amp later on. The zen dac is a dac first and foremost (as the name implies)

14 pages for you to read here, real meat starts somehwere around pg6 or so, have at it.

We do n…n…! dammit. Nnnnnnn… nnnnnnnn.
Again from start. eeee. ok now. Neeee. ok Now ->
We do NnnnnneeeeD!

It might let us hear things we might have not heard before. Give goosebumps and eargasms.
More of everything that sound beautiful and so good. Maybe louder.
Like M0N posted. Depends of listener and also the music.
Might also make us feel sad. Like in oh… This is how the music i like, could sound if i had the same…nice.
Bank could be happy? Aah yes, the good customer.

2 Likes

Thank you for affirming my bad habits lol

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking until now. Same exact mentality, but now the Tin T2 showed me things in music that I’ve never heard with my >1k headphone setup.

This is what made me realize that I must be doing something wrong. Not necessarily that I don’t need expensive gear. I still feel I do, I obviously want the best I can afford (or feel justified). Rather that it’s not the price or measurements that make the gear perfect for me. I should open up to options that maybe on paper look worse than what I have now or perceive good. I should explore different things and I might find that a less expensive can or amp could bring so much more satisfaction than one that costs double or triple that. One thing is for sure. I will be selling my current setup and I’ll get a bare bones system, see how that works out for me, maybe experiment with a few different things and technologies too! I am stoked about this, it’s been a while since I was truly excited about this hobby.

3 Likes

I don’t recommend the iFi Zen DAC for the Aiva, I would for IEMs though. You can get a 5v power adapter for ~$50, which might help with the struggles, but I haven’t done so and adds to the cost. I also find it picky in USB 3.0 cables since the stock cable is short I’ve had bad luck with certain brands.

There is distortion when you try to max it out running it 4.4mm balanced (at leased on mine). Single ended actually can run it fine and sounds better, but I would say max volume without Power Match is pretty low, with Power Match is tolerable, not deafening loud.

I currently use it solely as a DAC, so if you do get an Amp later, it is a decent DAC.

1 Like

Awesome, thanx for the responce