Does Expert Music Streamer Outrun CD Player?

I think this is a very good, yet controversial topic to discuss, firstly, don’t get me wrong, I adore CD music as well, I solely would like to throw a thread to make discussion, that’s it.

Let’s look at this thing “ objectively “, normally CD players got sampling rate at 44.1KHz/16bit for PCM data, music streamers nowadays got sampling rate at 192KHz/24bit or higher for PCM or DSD data(so-called “ Hi-Res “ audio), so given the sampling rate comparison, it seems that a music streamer literally serves better sound quality than a CD player, right?

However, if that’s a damn fact, how come still lots of people out there fighting for which is better for music playing, so CD player does have its audio merits, shorter data transmission path, connect to a DAC then to speakers, easy and fun, but as mentioned, Hi-Res audio got higher sampling rate, which indicates that it’s got more music details, more music data stored, so it’s understandable one should gear up more equipment to play this music data through a music streamer properly.

As one might wonder, why bother making listing to music such a complex job, fairly good point, lets’ do some simple pros and cons then.

CD Music

Pros: Easy to apply, and serves fair sound quality, immersive and loveable.

Cons: One CD can’t serve many songs, lacking flexibility and convenience, due to lowers sampling rate, some music detail might be ignored.

Streaming Music

Pros: Versatile choices, easy to obtain, listening to different genres to fit different mood in seconds, more details and dynamics.

Cons: Somewhat difficult to understand how to play it “ right “, too many gears to equip, certainly cost higher than a CD system (if you are a extreme audiophile).

Generally speaking, I don’t actually see which conquers which lol, everyone has his/her own taste, no? if you like it easy and “ less technological “, CD would be adequate indeed; if you like it challenging and “ more audiophile-like “, streaming music is your pal.

For me, Vinyl is a whole other level, people adore its quintessential spirit, it’s gonna last forever as long as people still treasure this divine audio essence, but it’s just too expensive and way harder to get the desired one lol…

Personally speaking, as a dude in his early 30’s, I’ve been in love with CD music for sure, it’s classic, it’s cool, it’s the ancestor of digital music, but as the innovative technology keeps cornering me with its appealing convenience, I failed to be loyal to my CD soul… I stated to adopt streaming audio system 3 years ago, yes, at first it was hard to understand what the heck is going with all the “ new stuff “, such as music server, network switch, linear power supply, even the audio cable for network and power connections, let along the audio operating app, I was like, oh man I don’t think I’ll be able to learn all this shxt, but my curiosity of the freaking “ Hi-Fi “ and “ Hi-Red “ drove me to learn and try, well, you reap what you sow, after 1 year, I finally geared up my own audio system…

Was it perfect? Hell no. Was it lousy? It’s alright, Was it worth learning? YES, so now I can write this article, no? lol…

Anyways, I do enjoy listening to music via a streamer, it’s damn convenient and versatile with the whole different streaming services, but, I still listen to CD music every now and then, it’s still got its spirit actually, cuz some music does actually perform better via CD player, it’s classic, it’s lovable, so does expert music streamer outrun CD player, my answer is 70% YES, 30% NO!

Care to leave a comment and let me know what you think about it?

Interesting topic. I used to be a CD only guy. I wanted nothing to do with streaming. But the technology has evolved to the point where you just can’t ignore it any longer.

So I made the investments to get to the level where I truly enjoy what the streaming world has to offer. The quality of the music as it comes out of my gear (and of course “the gear” is another whole rabbit hole that we won’t go down here as it is a major delimiting factor) is truly mind boggling. So short of the waste-of-time con job that is MQA I have fully embraced streaming technology and will continue to do so.

Having said all this, I still enjoy CDs and local FLAC more. It may be old school, but I am old school. I love the versatility and clarity that hi-res streaming provides, but for serious listening in my personal space, gimme a CD. Period.

Vinyl? Hell no. Diminishing returns on that stuff. Too expensive. Takes up far too much space. Don’t need it, don’t want it. Just gimme a CD. And that, as they say, is my two cents!

I think the diminishing returns is a bit of a misnomer on vinyl. Unless you are playing an album everyday, a well kept record will last 30,40,50+ years. I have lost 100’s of gigs of digital music over the years or ruined plenty of CD’s (that partially a bit of disrespect of the product on my part). I am super careful with my records to keep them in working order and last years and years. Agree on the space issue though, I’m running out of it myself :laughing:.

Most records come with digital downloads these days, albeit mp3 quality most often, but about 20% of the time it’s WAV or FLAC. As far a cost goes, I try and buy as much as I can from Bandcamp, that way I get the record and digital version in whatever format I want (FLAC of course :grin:). I get both the physical and digital format for one cost.

I find with going vinyl I end up listening to and appreciating songs I would normally skip and it’s much more interactive than a CD alone. My CD’s I rip and put away to almost never be touched again.

I use streaming to discover new music or listen to recommendations and then buy what sounds interesting to me. I love the convenience and truthfully can’t tell the difference too often from my FLAC files, but will say I find a lot of enjoyment scrolling through my library and seeing all the music I have acquired over 20+ years. Even if much of it a low quality live recordings off archives.org or downloaded from shady sources.

Long story short I’m in on all the formats and appreciate them all for what they have to offer :grin:.

I have a local library that has access to an entire county’s worth of cd’s. i order 8-10 per week drive up the drivethrough line at the library get my cds then head home. Rip to my library then head back the next day and drop them over via the drive through.

Rotate a 2 TB cards into my dap and play into my Dac via lineout. Is it better than streaming; yes for me it is. But eventually I may convert to a bluesound node.

1 Like