Does the brand or type of micro usb cable matter?

I just bought the DT880 600ohm headphones with a schiit asgard 3 and modi 3+ that from what I have read online it looks like the preferred method of connecting the DAC to PC is through the unison usb.

Does the brand of micro usb cable matter? Is there any difference in 2.0 and 3.0 cables or anything like that for use with a DAC to PC or should I just get the least expensive one? I am planning to get World’s Best Cables interconnect rca cables to connect the DAC to the amp. Thanks!

at this price point? no.
Just use whatever that seems decent really. I would not recommend going and balling out on usb cables for a modi3+ is all i’m saying

pretty sure audio only uses 2.0 speeds, so 3.0 doesn’t offer any added benifits… in fact i think some dacs might not play well with 3.0 iirc. so go 2.0

Just make sure it has proper rf shielding and your good.

From Schiit’s website:

Can I use a fancier cable to get better sound?

You can do whatever you’d like, including dancing by the light of the full moon and making small, non-living sacrifices to the audiophile gods.

No, seriously.

We are being serious.

I’m asking specifically about the cable.

As long as it’s a USB 2.0-rated cable, 2m or less in length, terminated with a micro USB plug on one end, you can use it, sure.

And it’ll sound better?

Probably about as much as taping $100 bills to your headphones. Or sending the $100 bills to us. We prefer the latter.

Almost doesn’t, but some brands tend to last longer.
I’m particularly fond of Baseus, they look great, last long and cost pocket change, i use a pair of their USB Cs on my xDuoo.

As for sound, you’ll either have sound or no sound at all, there will be no difference in quality.

1 Like

if you have extra laying around on a cable spend extra on a better amp or DAC. just get something decent and wont fall apart.

2 Likes