Dom Q’s spot (Recap of CanJam NYC and other things)

It’s no worse than planning a vacation and sifting through reviews to find the right hotel or any other kind of situation where you sift through reviews and opinions to build a consensus.

If it’s worth it to you, you’ll make the effort. You don’t think it’s worth the effort and good on you. I just find it funny that I’m the hill he was willing to die on. I might get really exited about 1-3 products a year and I always still look for reasons to pick at a product. If I’m a shill or only blow smoke up your ass, then there’s not a single reviewer or opinion you can take at face value.

But if you’re that burned out on forums, I hope you just enjoy interacting with people and leave the IEMs alone, like you are

3 Likes

I assume its less about you and more about their tolerance reaching the limit already and ANYTHING overly positive would have set them off the edge.

6 Likes

Yeah I mean I don’t get that I’m the straw that broke the camel’s back. But sucks for him

2 Likes

Honestly, Guy is far more qualified than I when it comes to Symphonium sets but I’ll give my two cents if it’s worth anything!

The Crimson is a phenomenal pair of IEMs. I personally love them for a bunch of reason, I did a write up on them a few months back and if you’re interested in reading more on that I’m happy to go back and find the post for you - but the Titans are just special. I’m still very much in love with that set. After tip rolling properly I’ve found the right set that goes well with them depending on my mood. If I want all the bass, the render tips work really well but if I want a slightly cleaner sound, the H570 tips are the best I’ve found so far. Plus, these tips seem to fit me the best when rocking the Titans.

The reason why I bought them is because I wanted my bass Endgame and be done with the rat race for that part of the hobby, so I did it. I also had the chance to demo them before buying, once at CanJam which is when I fell in love, but then at home a few months later which is when I was convinced nothing was going to stop me from buying a pair in the future.

The Titans aren’t necessarily a one trick pony because they play my entire library really well, the upper mids and treble are really well sorted, especially considering the monster base levels, but they do accomplish a very specific goal for me, which is achieving that bass end game. If you’re looking for a more all a rounder, there is better options for that imo and honestly, for a lot less. I think the Estrella (shill incoming) is as good as most folks need for that EDC tune that’s good to amazing with every genre of music.

The Crimson, like I said before, is a phenomenal set especially when it comes to the technical side of the sound. They trade blows with the sets that are double an even quadruple what they cost, but keep in mind they may be fatiguing as a lot of folks have pointed out. It seems like the Europa is more in line with an EDC tune, being toned down In thr bass and the treble (IIRC). Guy, feel free to correct me on that one.

That’s my two cents, I hope it was cohesive enough to read and understand :sweat_smile: I had a stupid long day at work.

And about this shill talk, idgaf - if a set is good and I’m passionate about it, I will yell from the rooftops about how much I love the set. I will be super upfront and say it’s just my opinion, of course, if people want to take my opinion for an objective truth, that’s their problem, not mine. I always try to make it clear I’m just talking about my opinions, there’s no objective truth in this hobby unless we’re to just stare at graphs all day, which I sometimes do I, I won’t lie - but we all know an IEM in the ears can sound completely different to our predispositions from when we peaked at the graph.

I’m done ranting, I hope everyone is having a great night!

Ps. The Estrella has completely captured my attention since it came in. I haven’t picked up the titans once in the last 3 days… if that’s not enough of an endorsement, idk what is.

13 Likes

It was great read, thank you for taking a moment to reply so thoroughly.

1 Like

Great write up and rant!

Yes and both Symphonium and Elise have said as much, but I don’t really think that the perceived bass is lower than Crimson (they stated that they brought it down a hair to keep it in balance with the reduction in treble, and to that end I think they did it as well as they could).

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming, Guy. I think the Crimson’s bass has a very standout characteristic of being extremely textured and pretty bouncy, which I like. This is very good BA bass IMO so I assume the Europa is no slouch either!

2 Likes

Man, I wonder if the Crimson I heard was broken… it was just a flop for me. That or it just didn’t work for my ears, but even the bass I didn’t find standout (compared to something like the Penon Voltage, for example). And it wasn’t an amping problem.

Opened up the Estrella this morning, and it put a smile on my face right away :star_struck: I was a bit nervous about the treble since it looks so similar to the Crimson, but it’s delightful. Pretty much what I had hoped the Crimson would be. Bass is big and tight, super satisfying. Treble and air is forward but in a way that feels natural and exciting, with good voice timbre. Will post impressions after a few weeks, but off to a very good start.

edit: Kindly sent by Jay for the AudioGeek EU tour group :pray: I didn’t pay anything for it.

11 Likes

I caved :grimacing:

Titan_ordered

11 Likes

If you find the treble ends up just a bit too forward, I like AET07 clones (aka KBear 07) tips to bring them down a hint without killing the air. Could be my imagination, but I think it helps bring the vocals forward a tad, too. I wouldn’t get too worked up over Crimson not being your thing, not every IEM works for everyone. Sometimes it can even be down to just mood or the environment, but there’s always something else out there to enjoy!
@Delta9K Yeah buddy! BRING ON THE BASS!

4 Likes

They are well worth it…enjoy🤙

3 Likes

Well, tbh it could be fit? It could be your HRTF? or, maybe it could of be a broken unit for sure. Anything is possible really, man. It may have just not worked for you, end of. It’s not a big deal, these things happen obviously.

WOOO HOOO, Lets goooooo! Enjoy, brother!

:bangbang: :bangbang: :bangbang: :bangbang:

My brother! Very nice, congrats! Thats a big purchase, man. I’m super happy for you. I have my pair in the ears right now and I’m straight up rocking… It’s a phenomenal pair of IEMs, so fun, so engaging… Syphonium has definitely taken over as my favorite IEM company currently doing the lords work in this hobby. They simply haven’t missed in years… now all their missing is a sub $500 set so they can bring in more and more people…

4 Likes

Tonight, with the Titans whilst the wife is out of the house…

Have a great night, big dogs <3

5 Likes

Just keep your pants on and your hands where we can see them, before this turns into a Panda Night!

But have fun, player!

3 Likes

Pants were kept on, indeed but it was a close one…

I think I have finally completed tip rolling the Estrellas and the Titans for sure.

The Tri Clarion tips sure are weird tips to my ears… they’re ultra wide bore obviously but when I’m rocking them they always seem to smoothen out the upper-mids and add some mid-bass thump to almost every IEM I put them on. Case-in-point is with the Estrellas. The Clarions seem to be made for the Estrellas. Since the Estrellas are fairly deep fitting, I found that squishy tips work best when it comes to long term comfort and getting a proper seal. I also sound that the Estrella simply need a deep fit in order to sound their best. With a shallower fit the upper-mids do become a bit more harsh, bordering on shrill and the bass is no where near as textured or impactful. These really do benefit from tip rolling more than other IEMs imo.

The Titans are a little more tough because of their design. The shell is fully aluminum and not really molded to a human ear. Not to mention the nozzle is kind of short and theres no. Damn. Nozzle. Lip… so that means that some tips are just automatically out. A great example would be the Final E tips, I tried them once thinking they could enhance that bass experience but they slipped off and stayed in my left ear… so nope, not trying that again. All this to say I found that the Render tips (Zeos collab tip) work the best when it comes to fit and sound on the Titans, specifically in the bass department. The H570 also work really well if you needed a cleaner replay overall.

I know @Delta9K is getting his Titans in so I hope he can find some other tips and rec them as well! as for all the folks waiting for the Estrella to come in, make sure you tip roll heavily. Super important to find the right tip for a deep fit. It changes the sound dramatically.

11 Likes

The Dunu Vulkan

My good buddy @GooberBM was gracious enough to lend me his pair of the ever-elusive Dunu Vulkan. A 6-driver, hybrid IEM that was released what feels like ages ago. It has 2 8mm DDs firing the low end in a coaxial setup with 4 BAs from Knowles handling the mids and the highs in a mostly smooth fashion. Now I’ve made the very adult decision to not work on this write-up over the last 2+ Weeks I’ve had these IEMs in my possession due to other IEMs demanding my attention like the Estrella and the Titans but I digress - I don’t really have time to take, edit and upload the photos as of right now since these will be going back to him tomorrow and it’s now crunch-time… with that being said, whoever took the promotional photos for this set deserves his or her salary, they’re beautiful. I’ll link Dunu’s product page here if you’d like more tech details and sweet photos. These have beautiful faceplates in my opinion, the Damascus steel-like design is wonderfully understated but also really pretty to look at.

https://www.dunu-topsound.com/product-page/vulkan

The shells are a little on the chonky side with a slightly larger nozzle opening and a shorter stem than I’d like. Comfort isn’t really an issue for my ears, but I did have to tip roll quite a bit to find a comfy fitting tip that had nice sonic qualities. I landed on the BGVP W01 after a little while.

The bass of the Vulkan can be described as smooth and sub-bass focused with a very nice thump behind every drumkick and thicker bass lines throughout. This is by no means a bass-head set, but it is a cleaner replay with an emphasis on the rumble rather than the punch, which I tend to enjoy, however, I’d like a lot more rumble here and with that higher emphasis of sub-bass, more texture. For some reason I don’t find the bass to be as textured as I’d like - It could come down to the hardware or the tuning, I’m not quite sure. But that is something to note. Otherwise, it’s perfectly fine for most of my library. A few examples of my gripes with the bass on the Vulkan would be on Daytime by Lunar Vacation. During the song, all throughout, there’s a double kick on the 1 beat that has some extra emphasis and this usually has a seriously satisfying rumble behind it, but it’s missing on the Vulkan. Fruiting Body by Goon is nicely rendered and the bass rumble is there, but it comes across as more of a blob of bass rather than a radiating note of ultra-low frequency. I will say this might be more of a nitpick rather than an outright criticism, but it affects my library to a point where it does stand out.

Where the Vulkan stands out to my ears is the mid-range and vocals and how they interact with the treble tuning. Male vocals have decent clarity but with great body and heft behind them. Female vocals are similar, but they do take a small hit in terms of overall details and texturing. The added lower-mid range does add some extra heft and weight to female vocals as well but this is something I do enjoy. If you’re looking for female vocals that are the epitome of clean, this won’t be for you, but if you’re a person who likes a slightly laid-back tuning approach with some added weight, this is a very good version of that.

The treble is hard to quantify for me. Some parts sound fairly forward to my ears, but then there seem to be some parts that are missing - I think this tuning falls into the category of “unconventional” and once you get your head around what the Vulkan is trying to accomplish here, that’s when you start to appreciate the bigger picture. Although these usually fall into the technicalities, the treble most likely has a lot to do with the imaging and overall stage size because both are a trip. Especially the stage size. For my HRTF at least, the stage feels spacious and intimate at the same time - Female vocals are right in the center, along with guitars. Cymbals, hi-hats, and notes from keyboards however feel farther back truly giving this illusion of stage depth. Vinta by Crumb is a good example, in the intro to that song there are lots of rim shots and open hats being used alongside a female vocalist and if I were to close my eyes it does feel like I’m in a room with the band sitting dead center in front of the vocalist. It’s a cool effect and it indeed works. It’s generally well-detailed and extended as well. Cymbals have proper decay, with a little more of a longer tail that’s incredibly satisfying once your brain starts to pick up on it. The only thing I’m hearing that could be a big turn-off is a small peak somewhere in the consonants area, really splashy cymbals and harsh S sounds can come across as grating to my ears, but then again, I am somewhat sensitive to those types of sounds so of course, YMMV. Overall, the treble is the most interesting part of the Vulkan to my ears, I think Dunu took some risks with the tuning and it mostly works and works really well I might add.

I already touched on the techs a bit in the treble section, but to reinforce the strongest part of the Vulkans, let me repeat myself; The imaging is very strong and so is the overall stage size. Width and depth are both big standouts with height not blowing me away but I don’t feel like IEMs do stage height well anyway. Overall detail retrieval is fine, not mind-blowing, but absolutely adequate for this price range. The tonality is on the warmer side with some extra emphasis on some parts in the treble. The timbre is totally fine across the board, nothing is standing out to me besides that consonant area but that’s more so a product of the tuning rather than the quality of the BAs I think.

Overall, I think the Vulkan falls into the camp of “good sounding, but not special enough” for most folks, but I just feel like more of a chance needed to be given for these things to really shine. If I owned a pair I wouldn’t use them as an EDC due to the lack of bass I need for my library admittedly, but I also wouldn’t choose to sell these if I were to downsize my collection at any point. The last 45 minutes of refreshing my memory with the Vulkans in my ears, rather than skipping through songs in my playlist and hitting those important parts I use to evaluate an IEM, I’m just jamming. My wife is waiting for me in the living room with a movie ready to go but I can’t quite hit pause on my music yet. I just want to keep listening. There’s something addicting to the replay and it lies in that special sauce where the treble lives. They’re special enough to maintain a solid spot within a rotation for most of us here in my opinion and I think Goober has a solid contender for “Stage-king” in the Dunu Vulkan :call_me_hand:

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my short, off-the-cuff write-up of the Dunu Vulkan, and thank you to Goober for letting me take them for a spin. Take care and have a great night, everyone!

12 Likes

That’s exactly my take on Vulkan. Stage and imaging was a stand out. Bass quality is good imo but bass quantity and timbre is what made me sell it in the end.

2 Likes

You heard what I like to call the amphitheater effect that Vulkan does. You’re in the middle and the sound wraps around you like a U rather than an O.

One of the most unique specialties I’ve heard in an IEM

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s funny how with a few headphones it does seem like everyone, or at least, lots of people’s opinions line up. I can see why those short comings would lead you to sell em’ off. They’re certainly not an everyday kind of listen IEM.

That’s actually the perfect way to describe them tbh. It’s all in front of you but in a way where it really does feel like a live performance. What a unique IEM.

2 Likes

So… I figured out the Titan’s true meaning. While listening to music with the Titans is quite the experience in its own right, watching movies with the Titans is a completely different experience.

Wow.

Due to some conversations I was having with my co-worker earlier in the day, the move Tron: Legacy came up and we both are huge fans. I didn’t know that before so it was quite a surprise that someone else was as big of a fan as I was. I first watched the movie with my good buddy when it first came out back in 2010. We were huge fans of daft punk and since they were to score the movie, my buddy Christian and I knew we had to go support the robot’s debut on the silver screen. It was a jaw-dropping experience watching that movie on IMAX. Every time I watched the film after that initial viewing, I never felt the same kind of feelings. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a very fun movie to watch, but the sound design and especially the soundtrack has never come across… correctly.

Enter the Syphonium Titans.

Holy Jesus Christ. Chills and teary-eyed inducing.

I felt inspired to share the OST here because I think it is such a beautiful piece of music. The robots truly out did them selves.

14 Likes