Dragonfly Cobalt

Just picked up the Dragonfly Cobalt. It’s my first dongle DAC. I noticed right away that the guts rattle around inside the case. Is this normal? Does anyone have experience with the other Dragonfly offerings? Does yours rattle around in the case? Is it something I should worry about? Any advise would be helpful. I figured for $300 it would be a little more solidly built.

I have a DFR and it does rattle. If you grab the usb end and move it around you can clearly see the whole unit move around in the body. Never been a issue as far as function. I only use this with my laptop when i’m not carrying any of my other portable DAP or DAC/AMP.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply!

i had the DF black latest version and in just 2 months of use it started showing signs on wear. the usb connector seemed loose and the black coating started peeling off around the edges, it didnt feel like it would fall apart though.
how is your experience with the Cobalt, how does it sound. can you make a video showing off the accessories and the product i cant find any videos for it.

It sounds fantastic! Night and day difference as opposed to streaming directly from my phone. They definitely filled this little thing with magic. Music and YouTube comes to life. All I use is the DFC paired with Apple’s camera adapter to my phone. I use AKG open backs, FH5’s, or some crappy Bose earbuds when working in the yard. I don’t really do videos, but if I find some free time I might throw something together.

I did a fun little write up on the DFC on another forum.

For those interested, here’s the link:

happy birthday :confetti_ball: :tada: buddy!

rock hard :metal:

and tell us - what did you get yourself as audio present :gift:? the Lawton mod, maybe?!

1 Like

Thank you :pray:t4:

1 Like

Question – what USB plug-in gadget, like a Dragonfly, is best yet hopefully not as pricey as the Cobalt? Also – would such a thing serve as a DAC if I later bought a separate amp like an Atom?

1 Like

Hmm does it have to be the same form factor? As that will limit your options

1 Like

The Cobalt doesn’t have a line-out, so it’s not ideal. I experimented with it as a dac connected to an amp. Didn’t sound good.

I would think if it’s too much bigger it would put serious torque on the USB port. But other than that I can’t think of any other form factor consideration.

Thanks! That could put a crimp in my plans for sure. Idea is: if I can hear an improvement in SQ from what I buy then I could next purchase a JDS Atom, for which I’d need a DAC. Yet, ideally I’d like to avoid separate DAC and amp boxes, not to mention wall-warts.

1 Like

Well now that’s a word we don’t often see in the audiophile world lol

2 Likes

The only portables I know (That I’ve heard positive feedback on) that can work as a “standalone” dac are the Chord Mojo and iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label.

If you want the Mojo, there’s a really good deal on a “used” one here:

Crutchfield has a 3-payment plan.

I see it as a user name all the time! :wink:

1 Like

You can get a idsd nano Black label which would suit @MaynardGKs price range better lol, line out for the dac. The mojo isn’t ideal either because it’s not a true line out

I haven’t really heard much feedback on it, that’s why I didn’t list it.

That’s a really good deal on the used Mojo, just sayin’…

Forgetting about stand-alone DAC ability for a moment. How does the Audioengine D3 rank compared to the DFs for SQ? Available and inexpensive here in the barren northern wastelands.

Meh from my experience, I liked the sabaj da3 better

I haven’t heard the d3, but I really like the Cobalt (as long as you match it with an efficient headphone). It’s a good implementation of a SABRE chipset. Very detailed, very resolving, and not too bright like many SABRE dacs.

1 Like