TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

Not well reviewed, or not a lot of reviews? I bought the Ebony first, and I liked them so much that I considered buying the Mahogany and/or Purplehearts. When I was checking reviews of the other two, I kept seeing the E-mu Teaks getting the most praise out of this driver configuration. Tyll at Inner Fidelity preferred them to even the TH900s if I’m not mistaken, and I want to say Zeos preferred them to the Fostex massdrop offerings. The main negative I kept seeing had to do with the poor connection terminals on the removable cables. The last time Drop offered them, they didn’t have removable cables, but they were only $400 so I took a chance. For my ears, they are some of my favorite headphones in the price range. One of the few headphones I didn’t even have to consider tinkering with EQ. I really have no complaints other than I wish the cable was a little better. They offer them with other cups (bamboo and rosewood, possibly others), but most reviews list the teak as the best wood, and I can believe it. There are definitely better headphones available, but I think they are a steal at the price

2 Likes

I apologize…I had the Purpleheart in mind, not Teak.

besides Drop, who else sells these?

well, E-MU sells direct…$450 for fixed cable, $500 with removable and $99 for the Walnut. how are the Walnut vs. the Teak?

I think it’s Creative Labs. The same place that makes your PC soundcards. I had the email in case I was going to buy the alternative cups. You can buy them directly at http://www.emu.com/order.html. You may want to read up on the removable cable issues though if you do decide to go that route

Pretty sure the Walnut is the non-Drop equivalent of the E-Mu Purplehearts that Drop regularly has on offer. And I’m pretty sure they are an on-ear variant of the Creative Aurvana Live

Yeah the emu purple hearts are not on the same level as the fostex PH lol

I love the E-mu teaks, but I would look at other headphones if they cost over $600 shipped from Singapore

What do think to the Denon Ah D7200 alternative?
I hope Massdrop made a new Fostex Headphone with Fostex and with better Cups Holdingsystems.
I have see some Post who the scharnier is broken. When result this,a better and shorter cabel. And eliminate the Fostex Clip under the Cups.
I find the connecting Systems from the Hifiman and another is better to plug in.

I have the Th xx Mahagony and i find him Good with the Lawtonmod.

I’d love a D7200 or D9200 alternative, and all those changes would be a better headphone than the TR-X00 was currently. I guess it depends on what Drop thinks is their best route. They sell a lot more $200 headphones than they do at the higher price ranges

I also think at this point they have pretty much milked the x00s enough where I think they wouldn’t release something too similar. Their sales has recently really slowed down for the x00s compared to the other sales

I’ll try the Denon AhD7200 times as compared with the Txx00 mahogany. Since I had everything I had on my ears did not come to the Fostex. Hi sundura meh was not mine, not even a Audize.A Koss sounded quite reasonable.I do not think it’s good that Massdrop headphones are wasted for $ 200. That makes other products that you have in the program heavier overall. Because who would like to spend a headphone for $ 400-550 if he does the same good for $ 200 can? That’s also the problem always everything must be cheaper and better. The pressure is great sometimes shit comes out, sometimes something good. I would have fallen now as the next level of Ebony or Purpel heart. Well if the Denon really nothing is, at least I can still access the ph while he is still available.

E-Mu Teaks back up on Drop. Non-removable cables, but that may be a good thing seeing as the connectors were about the only complaints I ever read about them

A worthwhile alternative to the now gone fostex. Great headphones if anyone is in the market for that kinda sound

I joined the hype train on these after I saw Josh’s & Resolve’s reviews.

I always loved the look of these cans but I never heard anything about them other than the purplehearts being bass cannons. After Josh’s raving review of the Ebony, I immediately went to drop to find that the Ebony were sold out and the mahogany were only 320 bucks. I immediately put in an order and began searching elsewhere for the Ebony. I luckily found a brand new pair of the Ebony but had to pay more than double the price of the mahogany for them.

I wasn’t disappointed.

The Ebony so far surpassed my expectations for a headphone that I have spent more money modding these headphones than I originally paid for both of them. I won’t bore you all with my glowing review of these cans since Josh already said it, I will tell you that with some new pads and the Lawton mods, I have no gas for any other headphones at the moment and I could not be happier with what I am hearing from these headphones.

Thanks to Josh and Resolve’s reviews or else I would have completely ignored these cans which have now become my favorite headphones in my arsenal.

7 Likes

Yeah, the x00s have always been a super solid choice and with mods can get even better. I wonder why they kinda lost their popularity half way through

1 Like

If I had to guess probably the price and they are a bit older. Maybe that made people think they are outdated/overpriced.

I would understand the older but I always thought they were priced appropriately for the performance they delivered

Like I said, they were a few years old so maybe people thaught they didn’t hold up by modern standers, making them overpriced for people who felt that way. Personally they are amongst my most satisfied audio purchases.

1 Like

My main concern is the design of the hinge. I’ve seen far too many pictures of the yokes broken apart. I don’t plan on transporting them anywhere and babying them beyond belief. I have a source for replacement parts if anything does end up breaking though. I’m so in love with these I’ll probably buy a few more just to have them around if anything ever does happen to them.

The sound from these is simply too good.

Yeah the hinge is kinda fragile, the stock cups can get marked a bit, and stock comfort is alright. I really love my th900mk2s with the lawton purplehearts. A bass heads dream lol.

Also you plan to swap out the wire for something more manageable? It’s just a pain because they use the reverse polarity connectors

1 Like

I have a periapt cable ordered, I already have a New Fantasia balanced cable and a cable from Ebay ordered here…

1 Like