DROP HD6XX upgrade

just a thought, you could try a pad swap or like you said, a tube amp. It will make a big difference, as if its a totally new headphone.

2 Likes

This may be way outside your price point, but Iā€™ve heard Aurorus Audio started with the goal of making headphones that sound as good as the Sennheiser 58x/6xx in mids and tonality but add dynamics and base response and detail. Theyā€™re very well reviewed by folks who love Sennheiser sound

1 Like

I would recommend the Sundaras. I believe there was som site selling open-box for around $260. Does anyone remember where that was at?

They will not sound like your 6XX - I feel the Sundara offers more clarity pretty much across the board, wider, brighter.

1 Like

Those Borealis look badass, but our of my $$ range at least for now.

Just make sure you opt for the balanced mod if you order the Argons to take advantage of that extra power and sound quality from the 789. They donā€™t automatically come with balanced capability.

1 Like

Most in this hobby have likely rushed a bit at some point in our journeyā€¦itā€™s hard not to when you love music and start to realize whatā€™s possible after listening to your first set of quality cans. Just try to take your time to really explore what you like or dislike about what you currently have (may be the gear itself, source, genre, or even song specific) and try to fill the gap with something that better meets your overall preference or complements what you already have and plan to keep. Lots of helpful folks here, but at the end of the day it comes down to your ears.

2 Likes

I get it, I had Sony CD999 way back and I thought they were good, got Grado SR80 back in like '00~01, though ok really good. Then got Shure e4 and that was ages agoā€¦04~06? Great with an iPod. Thought well fineā€¦I. am set. Got a new gig last year, a dude had some Sony blutooth on ears, so I said wow ok, and have been using the Sony WH-H900N h.ear on 2 with the phone to commute, shuttle van into cityā€¦noise cancelling sound really good for around the house etc. I was fine.

Enter covis 19, the wife is always here and I need to rip tunesā€¦need head phones on par with my stereo set up. Then I saw the HD6XX on sale ($190)!! (When I was looking at the Gradoā€™s the Senn HD600 where the sh@t) also got the amp because of the ohm and wanted to go balanced.

So have had the THX 789/HD6xx thing about a month, itā€™s the best headphone Iā€™ve heard. But now know there is better and want to take the next step up.

The Sundara or the Argons seem logicalā€¦do I want light or heavy is the question I. have to answer. The reason I posted was to see if the Sundara were redundant after having the HD6xx and well maybe there was a better moveā€¦seems like Sundara might be the move.

If you donā€™t mind the wait, I canā€™t recommend the verum 1 enough. Fantastic headphone easily competing with some significantly more expensive options. One of the best all-rounders I have heard with excellent timbre and tonality, similarly smooth midrange to the hd600 but much better bass extension and impact. Tons to read about them in forums and Z has a review for them.
Otherwise, a popular step up from the 6xx is the focal elex but I have not heard those myself.

2 Likes

Just wanted to throw this out there, but you could also try a tube amp for the 6xx. That might be fun.

3 Likes

Yes, this. Even an inexpensive tube amp is worth a try. All of the 600 series have good synergy with tube amps.

1 Like