šŸ”¶ Drop + Sennheiser HD8XX

if the bass is still shit on my 8xx im going to be dissapointed ngl, but they didnt change the driver i donā€™t think, may be wrong, but i think they have just elevated the bass somehow in another way.

would love to hear from someone with expertise on this

Has Senn ever done good bass???

2 Likes

what does he mean here? because if he is talking about custom cables there is tons of them, just as much supported third party cables on these as with any other high end headphone i feel like. he could mean something else but idk

ā€¦ you rite

gfdfdsasadf.jpg

but waiting is half the fun!

1 Like

i donā€™t normally do this but iā€™m going to make an insertion here, that thats what faked soundstage does, it makes the things that shouldnt sound wide sudenly sound wide, mainly because of the physical distance from the ear to the driver, iā€™m sure there is more than one way of theorizing about that and iā€™d be all for hearing an alternative take on what others think about it.

on a slightly different note, im not sure if my understanding of depth makes any sense in how i relate it to soundstage in the sense that ā€œdepthā€ gives audio the ability to travel ACROSS the total width of the soundstage but at any spesific point, would love to be corrected and learn more on this, iā€™m not a very experienced individual,

i guess what iā€™m actually trying to convey here is my underlying question if thats what people mean when they refer to depth

So they did another revision to the 8xx tuning and shipments starting in September

Should be seeing some more reviews coming out soon.

1 Like

lol compared to someone like fostex? hell no, not to my ears atleastā€¦ They do fantastic mids and a good balanced tone but bass is a sore spot imo. Even the Sennheisers that are bassy are quite awful with intensive bleeding and muddyness. Will gladly take my focals for bass over senn

though I will be ordering a pair of these soon enough to check out. Probably alongside that new schiit lokiā€¦ need that

1 Like
1 Like

Zs 8xx review is laughable. Iā€™m sorry, itā€™s a new level of shill.

3 Likes

ehh even in the comments for that video he tells people not to buy them and that they can probably get the tuning changes themselves with light mods and that its not different enough to buy if you already have 800s. he also talks a bit of shit about design choices and doesnā€™t go full shill. heā€™s definitely been a lot shillier in the past than this.

He never really liked the hd800s but these, these are good.
He also said if you donā€™t have the hd800S and youā€™re going to mod them then you should just get the 8xx. Talks about the Honda civic analogy, etc.
And how the 8xx works so well with tubes. As if this is new and wasnā€™t the case with the hd800S.
Then goes on to link everything possible in the description related to the hd800s/8xx. Even the radiance, which to him is the closed version :laughing:
Come on man, you gotta admit, itā€™s pretty cringe.

hmm this review was all over the place a bit at the same time stating what we already knowā€¦ suppose I will wait on others to get their hands on this to get a more indepth review because zeos told me practically nothing

1 Like

I have it built up in my head that theyā€™re like the clear mg tuning upgrade since the og clear and og 800s are kind of tinny and need some help tuning wise.

So im still new to the hole audio realm of things, but I game a lot and listen to music on the side
I have been using a modified balanced pair of Dt990 pro and a magnius and modius stack would these end up being my endgame do all be all pair of headphones or should I look at something else for my music and just have two pairs of cans for both purposes?

oh lord no

Bit early to say, but there are many alternatives outside of the hd hereā€¦ the 800s keeps getting quite a bit of hype I have been seeing for gamers due to its soundstage qualitiesā€¦ but most games canā€™t even use 75% of what this headphone is capable of so its straight up overkill in many many cases. It Could very well be an endgame for you if you like brighter headphones with insanely large soundstages thoughā€¦ I would recommend trying to audition one if you really want to know for certain. Otherwise just upgrade the 990 to the 1990/T1 2nd gen whichever you preferā€¦ as they will most likely suit you for a very long time in gaming sessions considering what they are capable of and price / performance. 8xx being quite new here Id say its far to early to say anything for certain as most dont even have this headphone yetā€¦

1 Like

I think im ok with my Dt990s for gaming and I think I have found my choice for a end game pair of cans. I think im going to end going to end up with a pair of lcd-x because of the style and genre of music I listen to. Lot of rock and metal occasionally pop and rap. I want more out of a headphone for music and im happy with the dt990s there already modded and im doing a headband swap from dekoni and a pad swap as well for the time being. Thank you guys for the awnsers.

As a user of the HD 800 S and a gamer I understand completely the advantage of the wide sound stage. The games in particular that take advantage of those capabilites are first person shooters like Valorant, Apex, and COD: Warzone. These games benefit dramatically from being able to hear exactly where a gun shot or foot step is coming from especially when coming from behind, below or above the player. Being able to tell the difference between the various gun shots sounds help a player understand the potential number of opponents in the area and the type of weapons they are using. Being able to hear the difference in footstep sounds can help you understand if there are one, two or three opponents in the area. I am by no means competitive, but these headphones are seriously flying under the radar for these games.

The 800s can be deceptively large on a lot of games and can sound like some enemies are too far to be a problem but in reality theyā€™re a lot closer.

1 Like

^ this is the other issue. Either the headphone will appear too large or it will just max out the games audio engine capability and not really use all this headphones capable of. T1 2nd generation does this same thing where in smaller games like apexā€¦ the soundstage is overkill and infact is a bit too large causing some slight complications

The issue is that people are practically brainwashed into thinking their best choice to go with for gaming is headsetsā€¦ when in reality there are plenty of actual headphones that do the job much better and can even save the person money. HD800 is one of the few ā€œendgameā€ cans due to what its capable of but I would never recommend it to someone less they were pretty much just playing larger games like arma, planetside, tarkov, etc

1 Like