šŸ”¶ Drop + Sennheiser HD8XX

I havenā€™t noticed this in games like COD or even open world games like Rust where I can watch people walking up on me and perceive the difference between what I am seeing and what I would expect to hear. Even games like New World (just a few weeks ago) the perception of distance felt right on. Would the DAC have any impact on this?

The difference is more noticeable when you have the other headphones that are known to be capable of the same aspects. Arya / Sundara, T1 2nd gen / DT 1990, Some of the Audeze, Harmonicdyne Zeus, etc. In games like cod the hd 800S isnā€™t remotely using all of its capabilitiesā€¦ this is very noticeable if you go from cod to tarkov with the headphone as the expansiveness of the sound is massive in difference. The hd800 is more soundstage and air than anythingā€¦ much like the sundara and arya are capable of packed with very good imaging.

There are many cases where in just cod you can get similar or the same results from using the cheaper sundara or even just a regular Sennheiser 560s in some cases compared to the hd800s. It wonā€™t have that air quality no, but the similarities are marginal enough to write off needing such a higher end headphone in that particular regard. However, if were talking Warzone, Planetside, Arma, Tarkov, battlefield, Hunt, etc those games where you have a very large playing fieldā€¦ large soundstages really come into playā€¦ however, realistically the only current shooter of our generation capable of fully capitalizing on the full kit of an hd800 is Tarkov over there.

That isnā€™t to say you shouldnā€™t use an hd800. But it can cause some complications due to just how large it likes to space sounds outā€¦ more so when the sound engine of the game itself is garbage

Dacs will but to a smaller extent to the amplifier. The amplifier can govern spatial recreation and even cases of your imaging.

3 Likes

Now I want to give Tarkov a shot.

Do it, but be prepared to not have fun :joy::joy:

1 Like

Depends on how good you are at patience, listening, and reactive shooting topped off with how good your vision really is. That game is punishing as hell.

1 Like

Sure, most punishing game Iā€™ve ever played, but Iā€™m nearly at 2000hours in it, so I guess I love it :joy::joy:
So addictive and rewarding if it works out fine for me ā€¦

the first day you play tarkov is the first day you realize youā€™ve never played anything like tarkov before. itā€™ll hit you like a fucking truck and itā€™ll drive you insane and then one day itā€™ll click and tarkov will become so addicting itā€™ll hurt.

Zā€™s recent video testing the Dekoni pads on this is really making me consider grabbing some finally

Here is Crinicleā€™s first impression it was not that favorable. Still would like to see some more impressions out there.

He even provided an EQ profile to get the sound signature to anyone who was debating if it is worth getting if they already own one of the other versions.

1 Like

the 1-2.5k dip is weird, could that be a stock pad thing?

weird dip in the bassā€¦ massive drop off there at the treble. looking more and more like I wont be interested in this one.

I was contacted by Drop and told I will receive a review unit within the next couple weeks or so. Could be longer.

Iā€™ve been ordering and recording playback of a bunch of Sennheiser headphones just in preparation for the 8XX. Iā€™m going to do a big showdown and comparison of all of them, with sound demos.

I already have the 800S and put them at the top of my ranks. Really suits my tastes very nicely. So Iā€™m excited to see what theyā€™ve done to this 8XX actually.

FYI, hereā€™s all the models Iā€™ve been recording/will record for the upcoming video:
ā€¢ HD600
ā€¢ HD650
ā€¢ HD6XX
ā€¢ HD800 S
ā€¢ HD8XX
ā€¢ PC38X (why a gaming headset? Pure curiosity)

Hopefully itā€™ll help many people in the community to decide what sound is best for them.

If anyone is interested in that video, itā€™ll be up on my channel:

Sorry for the plug but it seems appropriate.

7 Likes

Some more impressions/reviews

https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-hd-8xx-headphones/talk/2838797

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad you like them i believe the professional streamer tfue uses them also

Crinacle posted his formal review

Also DMS has a picture of the innards,

3 Likes

he also released a review video now, and itā€™s hilarious.

3 Likes
1 Like

DMS impressions (edit see previous post)

Also Crinacleā€™s video is the funniest review Iā€™ve ever seen XD. I didnā€™t even know he made videos.
I wonder what actually happened during the development process. Did they really think it sounded great with no 2k presence?

2 Likes

This headphone is looking like a real shitshow. I wish they would have done a real retune instead of what they did. 800s didnā€™t deserve this treatment.

3 Likes