DT 1990 Pro or Focal Elex

Hi guys, I’m really in two mind between these two, any suggestions ? And does Elex really have clipping issues?

1 Like

I don’t think a headphone can clip… unless you EQ it using an EQ that is not limited at 0db then every headphone would clip, but a headphone can’t clip by itself…

Also I am really interested in this topic as I am also considering these 2 for my endgame open back headphone so far the DT1990 the Elex and the Hifiman Edition XX seem to be the best choices.

Also a thing you should know is that the 1990 have recessed mids and a treble boost at 7-10k so they are technically V shaped but not really cuz the bass isn’t boosted.

The Elex measure similar to a 650 but with a bit more treble and more bass extension.

Between the DT1990 and the Elex I think the 1990 have better bass extension so better bass, the mids are better on the Elex and the treble is more natural on the Elex.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I havnt heard the DT1990. From what i hear it has this peak in the treble that some dont like. I have the Elex and its exceptional. Very nicely balanced, good bass, midrange and treble. Its my favorite headphone. it has a lot of detail and sounds fantastic. From what i hear its a better headphone than the 1990. but its 650$ and the 1990 is 450$ so 200$ less.

1 Like

What about the soundstage would you say its better than the 58X/600/650/660 series ? And how does it compare to the HD800

1 Like

Kinda funny but ive heard it has soundstage. but it sounds close to me, forward.

1 Like

Not the widest sound-stage, but exceptional imaging. Definitely a bit wider than the sennheisers for sure. Well except the hd 800 probably.

1 Like

I did cause it to clip but i think it was cause it was on a cheaper amp. i was using a schiit magni. but i havnt had problems since i upgraded to the SP200. I think maybe if you play the volume too loud it will clip but you gotta be playing it really loud

1 Like

similar experience, i had more clipping, more easily on the 788 dac/amp than the sp200. Not sure why that would be… but IMO the clipping is a non-issue. You have to play it VERY loud.

1 Like

The “clipping” on the elex is the driver over exerting itself… particually with sub-bass notes. You’ll hear like a little ‘pfft!’ when it happens. Think of a speaker driver getting pushed too hard. That can happen to the Elex due to the driver design… the trade-off is very good, deep extended sub-bass for a dynamic headphone.

1 Like

Interesting :thinking: didn’t know that was a thing, but I wouldn’t worry about it if it only happens when you play it stupid loud

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty much.
20char…

1 Like

The elex only has clipping issues if you push them pretty hard, so it really won’t be that big of an issue imo. What type of music do you listen to, and what do you prefer sound wise?

From what you own already, I think the elex would be the most different compared to your other headphones, so that might good or bad lol.

2 Likes

The 1990 is realistically a flat bright studio tuning, not really v shaped

The elex may measure similarly to the 650 but honestly they really aren’t that similar tbh

The 1990 has better bass extension, but the elex has better bass detail and is also faster with the bass

1 Like

I just realized that the Elex doesn’t ship to EU, my dissapointment is immesureable and my day is ruined :sob:

1 Like

What about a forwarding service?

1 Like

What’s that, never heard of such thing

Edit: you mean like someone for the US to buy them and then ship them to me ?

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what that is

I think a company like this: https://qwintry.com/en/services or https://www.parcl.com/

Although never used one of them

1 Like

Or instead of a company if you know someone in the US who could ship it to u

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll save those

It’s funny tho cuz I can buy other Focal headphones here

I do know people from the US :thinking:

2 Likes

There you go lol. It’s useful to have connections

1 Like