Dt 1990 pro / rode ai-1 / dac

I am new to this audio world and great headphones. I currently own a DT 177x GO that is plugged to my RODE AI-1 as I also use the NT1 which is an XLR mic. I now have a DT 1990 PRO coming in soon. I have read recommendations to pair the 1990 with Liquid Spark and Earmen Donald DAC or an E30. I have ordered an E30 as the price with the conversion and shipping would make the Earmen Donald DAC and E30’s price neck to neck.

Question is, can I just keep using the AI-1 and not get a separate AMP? I am still not sure how to connect them together. This setup is mostly used for FPS gaming and voice comms

The ai 1 should provide 245mw into 300 ohm. That should be enough to power the 1990 properly but that doesn’t mean it sound great i would test the ai 1 before thinking about getting another amp

So powering the 1990 is no problem. I should be able to use the AI-1 with the E30, is that right?

if the specs are actually correct on that interface, then you should be fine but 250 ohms is the highest i would go for this…

You won’t get the best sound quality out of the headphone(its an interface after all… would want a dedicated amp for that) but it should power them to full without issue

How would I connect this to my PC?

You connect E30 to your PC via usb.
You can’t connect your audio interface and E30 because, essentially… they’re both pretty much the same thing - they’re both DACs, with having different outputs and interface having XLR input too.

You could have your audio interface working as a DAC and pass it further to some separate amp, but not DAC to DAC.

1 Like

I feel like I need to add something.

It is possible to still use both devices simultaneously - interface for XLR input and E30 for audio output (and then some amp hooked to the E30), however, you will lose direct mic monitoring and there will be some configuration of audio devices involved.

Alright, I am going to reread the old threads with the AMP/DAC recommendations for the DT1990PRO as I’d rather use a dedicated DAC/AMP.

Thanks guys!

any of the entry levels will work for that one or the steps above… depends on what kind of sound your searching for and budget for dedicated… Really don’t recommend combo units