DT 770 PRO (80 or 250) w/ the M-Audio M-track solo

I am wanting to get a version of the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (80’s or 250’s)…
but I don’t want to buy a Headphone DAC/AMP… with that said…

The M-audio M-track Solo has; 60mW/Ch at 32 ohms.
The DT 770 PRO requires; 100mW at the respective 80/250 ohms.

I read somewhere that the headphones should be 8x the ohms as the headphone amp. For example, 32 ohms x8 = 256. So I think the DT 770 PRO 250 should run well(or satisfactorily) with the M-Track Solo Headphone AMP, pushing 60 mW/Ch at 32 ohms.
(my question is will the volume be usable for studio mixing and tracking)

Or… should I go with the DT 770 PRO 80 because the 60mW is significantly lower than the 100mW required for optimal performance with the 80 ohm headphones. My theory is that the lower ohms(80) will require less power (60mW) that the M-Track Solo supplies.

Thanks for your feedback and expertise in advance!

1 Like

That is power into that impedance.

AFAIK That is maximum power the headphone can handle. Meaning extended periods exceeding 100mW will damage the headphone.

While not optimal, it will likely be fine.

2 Likes

Hello,
And welcome to the forum.

With 80 ohm it will be enough but not enough.
The headphones will probably still be quiet when you have them fully turned up.

The whole thing is a bit suboptimal.
You can try it and see if it’s enough for you.
Otherwise, you could use the main output of your M-audio M-track Solo, if it’s not busy, to go to a headphone amp via Rca that would have more power.
Something like a Schiit Magni or Herasy if available should be enough.

1 Like

I remembered the power requirement for the 80ohm was slightly less than the 250ohm, but not by much. The extra bass from the 80ohm requires juice.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the response…
I figured this was the case, but I was holding hope it was near optimal.
For $150, I want it to be a good choice, not “likely fine” :upside_down_face:

Thank you so much for the response…
Suboptimal was what I was expecting to hear… :unamused:
I have a DOD SR 460H (SPEC LINK), but I’m worried its so old it may introduce more noise rather than power to produce more clarity.

I think I may be better served by a 32 ohm headphone… should I stop being so focused on the DT 770 PRO (32, 80, 250), and looks at another consumer/semipro headphone, such as the; AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-M40x / ATH-M50x?

Hello,
For the 32 ohm it would be enough.
As I said, if the preamp output on the Solo is unused, you could connect a headphone amplifier to the input there that is more powerful and then the issue is also settled.
You can still use the functions of the Solo if it is indispensable for you.
Otherwise you take something that harmonises better with the Solo.

1 Like

Not a fan of Audio-Technica. Maybe the MMX300 2nd gen which is 32ohms. The price might be a deal-breaker.

80 sounds the best but still needs an amp imo, just get the k371

Hello,

I just bought the M-Audio Solo and Behringer DT 770 Studios are my only headphones. Admittedly I bought the audio interface based on price point and did considered the power output. Well I am not sure how much louder one would want to get but these headphones get plenty loud even cranked just half way and my god have I been missing out in life. First time using what I guess is considered a DAC and it is so punchy and powerful. Unbearably loud at max output but clarity is maintained. Also, I have the 80 ohm version cans so I guess it makes sense that I have a good level in my head. I am thinking 250ohm cans would require more power because I hear how even the 80 ohm cans could handle more power despite the loudness at max output.

1 Like

I believe what you’re referencing here is the rule if thumb that states that the output impedance of your amplifier shouldn’t be more than one eight of the impedance rating of your headphones. If that’s the case, you’ve mixed up output impedance with power rating at a certain load in your example. If you aren’t referencing the rule of thumb I mentioned then I’ll just say that I have never heard the rule you’re mentioning and that I believe you were given incorrect info.

Edit: sorry, this thread popped up because the poster above revived it and I assumed it was recent so I answered without noticing the post date. My bad.

First off, welcome to HFG! Second, congrats on the new interface and headphones! Once you hear quality audio, you can never go back. At least, I know I couldn’t. I wish you and your gear a long and happy audio journey together.

P.S. I believe you meant to say Beyerdynamic DT770s as I don’t believe Behringer makes a DT770 headphone. :wink:

1 Like

Hey there! Yes I did mean that. Oops! Thanks for the catch. Thank you for the well wishes. Oh yeah I am loving the new power coming out of my headphones. Cheers!

1 Like