DT 880 32 ohm without an amp

I mean if the 880 isn’t available, the 990 isn’t going to be a let down either imo, they are still pretty similar headphones, just with a bit different signature. I would say go with the one that is more readily available and is the best deal

Can’t particularly find specifications on this motherboard other than the fact it may or may not have a built in amp on the motherboard. It’s worth a shot testing this on the headphone ports available to see if it works. However, keep in mind that on board audio is definitely not going to be remotely as good in sound quality as a dedicated amp and dac.

Sounds about right as Beyerdynamic has been having some out of stock issues potentially due to covid.

So, I used the 990 for a long time and still own mine at 600 ohms in the premium aka Edition. 880 to my ear is far superior in competitive gaming however 990 is no slouch either. Here’s some information that may help you. The 990 has two big drawbacks to it, 1 is the bass however this can actually be equalized down through the use of an equalizer if on console or PEACE apo which is free software on the pc. The other issue is it’s brightness the 990 is extremely sharp much sharper than the 880 and if you have any treble sensitivity at all trust me your going to know pretty quick this while can be alterred in equalization tends to be a little fussier while there’s other ways of taming it it’s still rather complicated. Things such as changing the pads, a cable filter, or a modification of some foam or toilet paper on the driver dial it back.

As for the 880 I find it better as a daily driver than I do the 990 as the 990 just isn’t good for regular use in my opinion due to that overbearing overly aggressive brightness. 880 is much more neutral with the highs being raised but still not as much as the 990.

if you compare the two in competitive gaming. DT 990 has better soundstage, better imaging, and the brighter highs can play at an advantage as due to just how sharp it is those fps sounds really come to light. In comparison though the 880 is more well rounded more neutral it doesn’t have that bass issue and the treble is not as overbearing. DT 990 is a V signature while DT 880 is a Bright signature

I would say go with your gut on this one. If it was for absolutely strictly competitive I would go the extra mile with the 990 but I can tolerate that much treble. If however, I wanted to use it for more than just competitive fps I would definitely side with the DT 880

@Falenkor @M0N so maybe ill do something like this, ill take the 990 for the gaming side, and if I want to hear some music or just you know chilling at facebook and some regular stuff and ill see that the treble is really that big problem and annoying on the 990, ill use my hyperx cloud 2 and when ill play games ill use the 990 .

Worth a shot provided there is a return policy on the 990 as well as it’s price tag.

yeah i think ill do it, and theres a different between the 990 premuim edition and the 990 pro ?

yeah, go with premium. Pro has the coiled cable which can kind of be annoying in my opinion for a gamer.

except from the cable, in the sound theres a difference ? imagining and sound stage ?

aesthetically they are different. Pro has a coiled cable premium has a straight cable. Premium comes with a carrying case pro does not. Premium is the only one that can come in 600 ohms. Premium has slightly more clamp force to my experience than the pro. Sound wise? I didn’t notice a difference outside of the clamping force making things sound different once the headphones loosened up more they sounded identical

alright ill take what they have doesn’t really matter to me all that stuff if sound is the same.
you know I saw that DMS really hated the 990

This hobby in general is subjective and niche. We all have points of opinion. 990 is either a love or hate relationship. Best to take reviewers are purely their point of view and opinion and find your own preferred sound. Find a reviewer who has your same tastes in sound. Myself personally, I like DMS but our opinion of the DT 990 is very different as I love very bright headphones.

Other reviewers like zeos over there claimed to need to use the emotiva basx a-100 amp to drive the dt 880 600 ohm which is far from the truth as you can drive that headphone on an ifi zen dac combo unit or liquid spark / magni 3+ / jds atom etc

Im really confused, theres too many opinions on this headphone, and In general, on any headphones that I checked I saw theres no one solid opinion everyone saying different things.
I asked DMS in his 990 review video, how they are for gaming, he told me to skip those and get the tygr 300 R or the PC37X, well the tygr I cant get and I read that the PC37x is like the GAME ONE, and the game one I can get in my country, but idk they have better imagining and sound stage than the 990 ?.

Like I was saying before, people are going to give you different opinions. There’s going to be varying opinions on literally everything audio related.

Yeah, sounds about right there’s a couple reasons for that. First off Tygr is similar to the 990 in the fact that it has quite literally laser accurate imaging and an even bigger soundstage. Tygrs biggest issue though in competitive gaming is that it’s a warm headphone meaning it’s bassy but without all the brightness and has slightly recessed mids. It’s fantastic for those who still want a well rounded headphone that can pull off competitive gaming but have a treble sensitivity. Secondly, pc37x is extremely well rounded it really doesn’t have a drawback to it other than I just don’t think it sounds all that great music wise however, in comparison to a dt 990 I would say it has a tamer signature you don’t really have to be concerned with the treble there though the imaging and soundstage is better on a 990.

This ones hard to get in general. I own it myself quite an amazing headphone at that. It’s only obtainable by itself directly from Beyerdynamic so you’d have to check their store as they may be able to get you one otherwise you’d have to buy it inside its fox bundle which comes with a condensor microphone

Well, it should be since pc37x quite literally is the game one just altered. I find the pc37x better and didn’t have some of the sound quality issues or mic bleed issues I had with the game one.

If I recall correctly DMS isn’t a fan of brighter headphones in general though I could be wrong I don’t watch the guy enough but I am pretty sure both him and Joshua are known to be treble sensitive people so it makes sense for them to tell you to steer clear of something as crazy as a 990. It has a very bad reputation for people due to that brightness and one of the reasons I immediately steer someone towards a DT 880 before I tell them the 990 is okay. Even in competitive I would typically agree with DMS here just due to my concern that 1. the bass is too much this is common fact for competitive gaming with this headphone and 2. the treble is so bright most people struggle to even use the headphone.

I think all of the suggestions here work fine, some in better varying degrees for strictly competitive gameplay. DT 990 isn’t all that great for a daily driver it’s super bright and very fatiguing so not the best for every day use outside of certain scenarios. Meanwhile the others listed pc37x, tygr, dt 880 are all much better at being daily drivers and can do the job as well but also succeed at other things such as casual listening, videos, movies, etc.

PC37x and Tygr both do not need an amp it just helps them meanwhile dt series over there does need an amp.

thank you a lot of the detail answers Im really appreciate it, I think ill just go with 990 and that’s it, I saw more reviews on that and 95% saying that its really amazing for gaming. thank you a lot.

When I bought a car i didn’t debate that much and did a research like this :sweat_smile:

you know DMS just wrote me that the PC37x is much better for gaming than the 990

@Falenkor @M0N well I bought the 990 PRO, its fucking amazing ! big difference between this and the cloud 2.
the treble is a bit too high, I can see now why people complaining about it, but I dont find it that bad.

the imagining is amazing, I can hear much more clearly where everything is now.

and Im using it without an amp…and its really loud for me, Im even lowering the volume cuz its too loud, so maybe I won’t buy an AMP.

and again thank you !

1 Like