DT770 Pro Upgrade options

Not that I’m a huge fan of this term by any means, but I kind of skipped the “mid-fi” portion of this hobby. The T60 are really my first pair in this price range so I don’t have a ton to compare them to that have a similar signature. I’ve got someone in my office that have the MMX300 that I’ve done some A/B testing with. I will say this though, I believe the T60 are the best of the “T50 mods”. I listen to a ton of different music and I will say that the t60 aren’t the best for some genres, but if you listen to music that pander to its strengths there are times when these cans are quite magical. I guess to answer your question on the $300 price point, I would suggest trying to snag a used set of 177x Go. Firstly, because they are easier to power. I didn’t really start falling in love with my t60 until I started pushing them with my smsl sp200

Yeah the biggest con for me for both T60 and Argon mod is that they are hard to drive.

I think that a lot of people tend to exaggerate how hard it is to drive the T50RP/T60RP/Argons. I’m able to comfortably drive them off of my JDS Labs El Amp.

Do they benefit from more power? Absolutely they do. But they aren’t impossible to drive like some make them out to be.

So it is MMX300 vs DT177xGo. I believe I am going to swing to the MMX300. That “gaming” tag though puts me off, even if I honestly could use the mic with my Axon 7 or at work.

Edit: on drop for the EU I cannot get the the 177X. Only the Fostex TR X00 of the ones I am evaluating.

MMX300 uses a similar driver found in the 770, 880, 990, etc. The 177X is going to have better sound quality overall.

The plot thickens. I cannot find them though. I would have to pay customs and shipment if I order them from Drop. I don’t think they are sold outside.

Edit: and also the TR X00 are out of stock. :frowning:

Have you considered the standard 1770? i’m not sure which country you currently reside in but prices for the 1770 is like $399. That’s $19 more than the 177X unless you wanted to purchase the 177X for its portability at 32 ohms

The DT1770 do not have positive reveiws for what I could see. I believe I have heard that the DT770 are preferable to them. The MMX300 on the other hand seem to have blown Zeos away, for what it is worth.

General consensus is the 1770 didn’t do well because of the treble. I’m personally not treble sensitive so I found the 1770 to my liking but your miles may vary. Based on my A B testing between the 770 and 1770 the 1770 performed a lot better than the 770. I suggest you try demoing a pair of 1770’s to see if it fits your tastes. The 177X is suppose to tone down the treble found in the 1770 but if you look over at the 177X thread on hifiguides. There’s currently a member that is having issues with the treble found in the 177X.

The 1770 is very bloated in the bass, overwhelmingly so, and the 177x go fixed that issue. The 177x go is also less peaky in the treble than the 1770, but it’s still a beyer

Well, I guess it has ended. I have bought the DT177x Go on Drop despite customs. They were on sale at 380$ which should end up to 450 EUR when they arrive, likely the normal retail price.
I had in mind to wait at least 6 month before changing headphones but I was wrong. This is a dangerous hobby.

4 Likes

Nice! Hope you enjoy them! :+1: