šŸ”¶ DUNU EST 112 Tri-brid IEM

Came across this on reddit yesterday and thought you might be interestedā€¦

(it has english subtitles)
ā€¦its also on the topic of EST112

I already posted this lol.

Oh :laughing:
Sorry, I usually just read the ā€œthumbnailsā€ of head-fi links and I didnt notice thatā€¦
But the main engineer seems like a cool guy :smile:

2 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku These look really interesting! Now that Iā€™m emotionally deep into this expensive little hobby, Iā€™m curious to try some multi-driver/BA style IEMs; how would you compare to this to FD5 for TSFH style music? This and the SA6 are looking really interesting!

I will compare them (and more) in my review. Havent done any comparisons yet, but as I mentioned a little bit above. This iem is a very versatile set and I havent found anything (yet) that it plays bad.

1 Like

Size comparison

Smaller than the Blessing 2 which is like a potato in my ears.

A bit bigger than the fh3.

A lot bigger than the blon bl-03.

3 Likes

The EST112 is actually superior in detail, clarity and overall performance. The soundstage is tied and they are similarly airy, which is very impressive since it looks like the upper-treble is more elevated on the FD5 in the graph compared to the EST112. Guess the EST is working hard lol.

The only reason why I would recommend the FD5 over the EST112 (besides price difference) is if you want a bassier iem, then the FD5 will probably be more to your liking. But the EST112 is a better tuned and more versatile iem.

Compared with the A7 (pop-red) and the EST112 is beating it on all factors. Bass actually sounds a bit bloated on the A7 in comparison. A7 is only better if you want a relaxing and fun iem (bigger bass).

3 Likes

Honestly, I might need to create S+ and S- rankings due to this lol.

2 Likes
1 Like

Glad I pre-ordered this gem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ouch! SA6 > EST112.

2 Likes

Hello there! For those of you who have the Dunu EST 112 (and/or the Dunu SA6), how much do they scale? Iā€™m looking pretty seriously at buying these and Iā€™m currently using a BTR5 as my portable amp/dac for some lower tier IEMs (Starfields, etc); Iā€™m curious if I should look at using something a bit higher-end to pair with these.

I also own an XD-05 Plus that I mostly use for taking full-size headphones portable, but itā€™s kind of a brick and the Bluetooth isnā€™t amazing on it. (I still love it, but itā€™s not as well suited to my IEM use cases.)

I have them bothā€¦

They are a great choice at their price point. These IEMs will scale quite well with anything you throw at them. Iā€™ve been more impressed with the FR of the SA6. I was expecting it to be more relaxed than it actually is. Both are quite detailed IEMs. The EST112 hits harder (more dynamic) but the treble is a bit harsher vs the SA6.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not the best photo, but I figured Iā€™d update to say that I picked both of them up!

Iā€™ve been spending a lot more time with the EST 112 so far just because itā€™s the one that happens to be more comfortable in my ears, but Iā€™m enjoying both of them quite a bit. Iā€™ve mostly been listening through an iPhone 11 Pro ā†’ USB/Bluetooth ā†’ XD-05 Plus (opamp rolled) and I have Final E tips on both of them at the moment, but I havenā€™t had a ton of listening time with them yet.

5 Likes

Some random non-sound thoughts:

Both of these IEMs are incredible packages. They both come with fantastic cables with interchangeable ends for 2.5mm/3.5mm/4.4mm, but they both /also/ come with 1/4" adapters, and while they arenā€™t the screw-on type, thereā€™s no play in the adapter and it works great for plugging into 1/4" outputs.

The two of them do come with different cables: the cable that comes with the SA6 is a thicker, more well-built cable, and the cable that comes with the EST 112 is a thinner cable. I feel like if I were using these IEMs primarily sitting down at a desk, I would strongly prefer the SA6 cable. But in practice, I mostly use my IEMs under non-ideal conditionsā€”while folding laundry, going for walks, cooking dinner, washing dishesā€”and in my particular use case, I think I prefer the EST 112ā€™s cable. It just gets in the way a little bit less and holds itā€™s shape just a little bit less, though again, both cables are the best stock IEM cables Iā€™ve ever used.

They both come with a bunch of silicone tips, and the EST 112 even comes with some foams and some SpinFits. Iā€™ve been using Final E tips because I already know I like them, but if you didnā€™t already own any other tips, I think youā€™d be pretty good to go with what comes in the box.

In terms of the fit, I feel like the SA6 naturally wants to sit deeper in my ears and I ended up being most comfortable with eartips a size down from what I would normally wear, so Iā€™m still playing around with eartips and sizings and all that. (I wear my ā€œnormalā€ size on the EST 112 if I put the eartip all the way down the nozzle, over the ridge). Neither of them are uncomfortable, but wearing the two of them feels pretty different. Also, not sure what kind of metal the EST 112 shell is made of, but it can definitely get cold.

Theyā€™re both plenty sensitive enough to just plug into your phone with a dongle, so if youā€™re that kind of person, you should be good to go. Just for fun, I plugged them into my RNHP, which I usually have set around 9-oā€™-clock-ish to power the Focal Elex, and these IEMs get loud at like 7-oā€™-clock.

Thereā€™s basically nothing thatā€™s ā€œwrongā€ with this package. It comes with everything Iā€™d want in terms of cable terminations, cable quality, eartips, fit, comfortā€¦ I havenā€™t been in this hobby for all that long, and it shouldnā€™t be that hard to do, but I basically havenā€™t bought any IEM or full-size headphone that actually came with all the stuff I needed where I didnā€™t need to buy an aftermarket cable or extra padding for the headband or whatever.

So yeah, Iā€™m impressed. Good job, DUNU!

(EDIT: Okay, one fun mistake in the packaging, the SA6 was boxed with the left earbud plugged into the right cable and vice-versa. Not a huge deal, just unplug and swap them, but hey, they technically got one thing wrong. :P)

6 Likes

Nice impressions, mate!

Okay, Iā€™m not an audio reviewer and I donā€™t have the best-trained ears, but since Iā€™ve had them both for a while, I figured it would be good to post some thoughts on the actual sound of the EST 112 and the SA6.

First off, Iā€™m coming from only owning low-tier IEMs. I own the Blon BL-03, some KZs that I kind of hate, I own a Moondrop Starfield, and I own an oBravo Cupid. (I donā€™t really like the Cupid either.) And so in that sense, Iā€™ll immediately say that the EST 112 and the SA6 sound more similar to each other than either of them do to something like a Moondrop Starfield. So just keep that in perspective when I talk about their differences.

The SA6 is the one with more bass from the frequency response graphs Iā€™ve seen, but the EST 112 definitely has what comes across as the punchier bass. You really feel the bass impact on the EST 112 in a way that you donā€™t on the SA6. I feel like itā€™s a similar story for the treble as well: something about the treble on the EST 112 just draws more attention to itself and makes you notice it more.

Meanwhile, the treble on the SA6 is smooth, and when you combine the smoother treble and the less-punchy bass, I find the SA6 kind of relaxing to listen to. Out of curiosity, I tried some of the tips that were recommended to brighten the treble on the SA6 to see what would happen, and itā€™sā€¦ well, louder and smooth. The overall relaxed quality of the SA6 seemed to remain with whatever tips I used. (Though you might be able to go the other way and use some foam tips to smooth out the EST 112, but I just donā€™t like foams at all.)

Maybe Iā€™m just trying to justify keeping both of them instead of selling one of them, but it would be really easy to imagine a preference for one or the other being based on your mood. The EST 112 could be your ā€œwake up in the morningā€ IEM and the SA6 could be your ā€œunwind after dinnerā€ IEM. Both work well for all the genres of music that I listen to. (I canā€™t speak much to orchestral or metal, sorry friends.)

In terms of detail and whatnot, they both sound better than any of the IEMs I own, so if youā€™re upgrading from something like a Moondrop Starfield, I feel like both of these are just better, and I imagine youā€™d be happy upgrading to either one. Neither of them sound as good as the Focal Elex that I listen to nearly every day, but thatā€™s to be expected. And honestly, it probably doesnā€™t make sense for me to go too far up market for IEMs considering I mostly listen to them in environments with distractions and background noise.

I mentioned this before, but since Iā€™m only ever listening to IEMs portably, my chain has mostly been iPhone ā†’ Bluetooth ā†’ XD-05 Plus (w/ AD827SQ op amp). Iā€™ve also been using Final Audio Type E eartips on both IEMs.

If I had to only keep one, I think Iā€™d keep the EST 112.

6 Likes

Thats the DD advantage vs the BA in the SA6. BA lack a lot of the texture and air that DD has, so they compensate for that with boosting the quantity instead to try to achieve a similar feeling, which still doesnt come close to DD bass IMO.

The power of ESTĀ“s I guess, they have tons of micro-details vs other drivers. (generalizing ESTĀ“s based on only the EST112 so keep that in mind.)

1 Like

The EST drivers of the EST 112 do not sound the same as the Thieaudio EST drivers in their tribrids.

1 Like