Dynamic vs. planar vs electrostatic

what sound profile/signature would you associate to each driver type and music genre’s they best cater too?

I have my own feelings…but won’t share until there is some conversation so I don’t color incoming opinions/thoughts. :wink:

Dynamic for organic sound, natural bass performance, and more tilted to warm sound. Planar for in-between electrostat and dynamic, with good mix of speed, detail, extension, and generally more even response. Electrostat for extreme detail, speed, but lacking organic timbre, bass extension, and might be a bit cold sounding to some.

This is grossly generalized, as I was trying to incorporate everything I’ve heard, but I just tend to ignore driver type and just focus on the sound of each individual headphone itself

5 Likes

I’ve only ever heard dynamic driver headphones so was looking forward to learning more by following this thread.

One thing in particular – the Resolve Reviews guy startled me by introducing the concept that headphones can have their own timbre. And now here we have M0N talking about e-stats “lacking organic timbre”. My sense from Resolve Reviews is that planars can have some sort of plastic or metallic edge to their sound that needs to be tamed by the designer. Yet if this were a common aspect of planar sound, I’d think I’d have heard it endlessly debated.

I’ve also heard the charge of “metallic” levied against Focal’s beryllium driver, and to some degree also the titanium and aluminum ones. That suggests that it’s a matter of the material being used for the vibrating surface rather than the electro-magnetic activation mechanism.

1 Like

That’s generally correct. The type and design of every driver comes with drawbacks that can color the sound. Also regarding focal sound, I think the metallic sound comes from their upper mids dip in their freq response

1 Like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

???

What’s the issue?

1 Like

nothing, I was just being dramatic. :slight_smile: LoL!

No you weren’t. You were understandably upset that my post took a perfectly good topic and drove it straight into the sandtrap of picky-picky technicalities.

Admit it. What penance must I perform to atone for this sin? :wink:

1 Like

buy me some HE-1000 v2’s. then all sins are forgiven. :slight_smile:

What it doesn’t have to be Susvaras? You are indeed merciful upon a poor sinner.

2 Likes

when can I expect delivery? :smiley:

The sundaras were truly exquisite, much finer quality then the plebeian he1000v2

1 Like

In one hour. I’m having Amazon use their experimental new jet engine superdrone. Just go stand on your rooftop about an hour from now and shine a mirror or laser pointer at it as soon as it comes into view.

1 Like

Ah! Thanks for correcting my typo, M0N! Somehow I hit the s and v keys when I wrote “Susvara” instead of the n and d keys of “Sundara”.

2 Likes