Earbuds Discussion Thread

As part of my “review” of the Rikubud line up I’ll be referencing my initial take and how its changed with more time. I more than expect that my appreciation for each will only go up as I listen to them more so it will be nice to ground them in some initial take.

First up will be the PK buds. Since they aren’t part of the official lineup I didn’t want to sink too much time in them.

After listening to them for the last hour or so I will say my initial take was a bit extreme. While I still think they lean on the bright side, they are not completely absent of bass. They actually have quite a nice mid bass quality to them although the quantity is lacking a bit. The bass presence is just enough to give body to stringed and percussive instruments and replay them with a very life like quality. These are def not going to be good for Hip hop or EDM though as the bass drops off in the sub bass region. Stage feels a tad small for earbuds however would probably land as average compared to IEMs. I would say imaging is average to below average. Overall I would probably move that 3/10 up to a 4.5/10

2 Likes

The PKs were an easy “okay I tried you, now go back to your case and let me play with the real buds” lol

3 Likes

haha yeah that was my general take too. The difference between the PK and the rest of them is pretty substantial

@GooberBM how would you compare the bass between the Serratus and the Grand Beserker 2?

I found the GB bass boomy, more like an IEM, but only moderately controlled. Probably more quantity but Serratus is better quality

2 Likes

Rikubuds review

A little note about this review. I normally don’t give a score but with comparing a whole score of buds I feel it is necessary. There are two ratings; the biased “unbiased” score and my personal score. The biased “unbiased” score is what I would imagine the average listener to put them at if they were looking for something that works with a wide range of music. The personal score is based on how they work with my library and how much I would enjoy them while listening to tracks that I think they best work with.

Lancer 1: Hey there Delilah

Music

Vocals

Vocals are definitely on the airy side. Female vocals can be harsh sometimes but male vocals sound great. This set delivers good stage (deep, slightly deep and not really high all that high) and imaging. Voices are right in the center and come across as very accurate. They are a little pushed back in the mix but not veiled at all. There is not a lot I can fault here in vocals however there is also nothing that is really grabs me. They are there and they are good.

Percussions

The replay of percussion instruments on these is very interesting. In terms of the “thump” feeling its present but light however the the bass texture is very tight that somehow I can “feel” the thumb without really feeling it. It’s rather addicting if you aren’t a fan of big bass and even if you are it’s still very enjoyable. Güiras, Cymbals and other metal percussive instruments are properly sharp and present while being slightly recessed in the mix, giving a good sense of depth and lowering fatigue. While this set delivers good bass it’s definitely not for 808s. You can hear the sub bass but there is no air moving in the lower frequencies which really pulls you out of rap tracks. Also because most rap tracks are all sub and low mid bass and vocals, balance can feel off on those tracks with this set.

Strings

Acoustic guitars come in full and clear with proper body and note weight. These have great treble extension and present the upper notes of guitars and violins with ease. Timbre is excellent and the level of detail you can get off strings is really phenomenol. I can hear all the nuance in the upper range of string instruments and the notes hang for just the right amount of time.

Games

Dialog was a bit recessed compared to the environment, volume wasn’t an issue

Overall

My biased “unbiased” score: 7/10
Personal score: 7/10
I see why these are classified as a U/W shape. They really nail that tuning and would be my go to for acoustic tracks, especially with male vocals, however that’s a small part of my library.

Saber 1: Everything she wants

Music

Vocals

Vocals are airy and spacious like the Lancer however they lack a bit of sparkle and bite up top which helps with female vocals while also reducing fatigue and allowing you to turn up the volume a bit more. Male vocals present very similarly with both male and female vocals sitting center stage with some depth. Stage is pretty good all around. I hear it a bit wider and taller than deep and imaging, while not pinpoint, is fairly clear.

Percussions

Percussive instruments can suffer from a lack of bite up top and bass extension down low. You hear the bass notes more than feel them with these which is a bummer. Mid bass thump is tight but again lacks the quantity I am looking for for certain genres I listen to like rap.

Strings

String instruments replay similarly to vocals and percussion in the sense that there is a lack of extension in both ends. This results in note weight to be a bit compromised for guitars and cellos and violins to lose a little detail and sparkle at the top.

Games

Great sense of space and imaging in games. Really immerses you into the game and volume is at a great level out of the Xbox controller

Overall

My biased “unbiased” score: 7.5/10
Personal score: 6/10
It’s interesting because these really are neutral and non offensive which is great except they don’t do anything amazingly well. Where the lancer takes a bit of risk on both the bass and treble these sound like they roll off on both sides and leaves you with a very comfortable albeit forgettable replay. If you are looking for a single bud that is guaranteed to replay well on anything you throw at it this one will probably be the one I would choose.

Assassin 2: Smooth Operator

Music

Vocals

This is a very unique replay that is heavily mid focused. If you are looking for air and sparkle look elsewhere. It’s non-fatiguing and doesn’t sound “off” but it’s definitely a different experience from your normal vocal replays. Stage is relatively intimate and imaging is mediocre for me.

Percussions

Hits are nice and tight, there is good mid-bass thump although sub bass is absent so don’t expect much from 808s. Drums are fast and tight. Definitely a great listen for smooth R&B.

Strings

Strings have a great replay, it’s full bodied with authentic timbre. Things start to fall off in the upper frequencies so you lose the subtle vibrato in guitars and violins.

Games

I didnt try with these as they are very mid focused

Overall

My biased “unbiased” score: 6/10
Personal Score: 8/10
These are an interesting one. I personally love what they are trying to do with its hyper focus on the mids and tight mid bass. These crush R&B and are so mellow. However, they are highly specialized and not a great all-arounder.

Berserker 1: Bowl for Two

Music

Vocals

Vocal quality is near the top for me out of the lineup. It’s got the proper amount of treble energy to fully convey the vocalists voice however things can get a little harsh at higher volumes for female vocals. Both male and vocals are center and forward in the mix. Stage is decently wide but not very tall or deep and imaging is comparable to the other buds in the lineup.

NOTE: I did notice that vocals can get a bit muddy when a lot is going in the track, idk if that is a particular issue with this unit or if the driver just has issues with congestion on complicated songs but I notice the congestion most in the vocals.

Percussions

Sub bass through lower mid bass is noticeably present giving good body to kick drums although I think it could be a bit cleaner. It’s definitely not boomy and doesn’t bleed into the mids but it does feel a bit low res. Where things get interesting is on the with tom-toms and snares as I feel the bass tapers pretty hard and those two drums lose impact. While there is definitely impact and presence in the sub bass region, 808s don’t get replayed with the proper authority and for me fall into the “heard not felt” category.

Strings

Strings have a very pleasant and clear replay with good body and good extension in the upper range although for certain instruments, such as violins, things might get harsh at higher volumes. String instruments that mostly sit in the mid frequencies really sing, I can close my eyes and just picture the notes resonating out of the instrument, its really beautiful.

Games

These are similar to my Rikubuds so I didnt try them but from my experience they present a fairly immersive environment with decent volume on the xbox controller

Overall

Personal score: 7/10
Im a bit surprised by these as I was expecting a big jump in bass compared to the Lancer and Saber and an overall mellower replay however what I am experiencing is a V signature with more emphasis on the treble than the bass.

Grand Berserker 2: Cuff It

Music

Vocals

The GB2 definitely compliments vocalists who sing in the lower vocal ranges which is most male vocals and some female vocals (ex. Stevie Nicks and Billie Eilish). Vocals in upper ranges have a dampened effect to them which I would consider different from veiled or muddy. Vocal quality is still pretty good given this set leans heavily toward the lower set. With that stage is pretty intimate with everything seemingly coming from one central location right in front of you.

Percussions

Bass is this sets bread and butter. It’s in your face and not shy about it at all. Bass is on the looser side and can be boomy on certain tracks but if the track is well mastered with tight bass it comes off contained and impactful. 808s hit superbly and if you listen to mostly hip hop you will be at home.

Strings

I haven’t called out any songs in these reviews but I need to call out one that is in my go to review list which is “misguided ghosts”. There are two guitars parts and while normally the lower harmony is kind of off to the side and the upper harmony shines, with this set it puts both parts on the same level it which is wild. Now, in a general sense guitars have a lot of note weight, almost too much to the point where you can feel the guitar strings vibrating well past where it would normally trail off at. It’s a unique replay to the guitars which I appreciate although if you are looking for a more natural sound this wouldn’t be it. With strings that focus more in the upper range such as violins they sound very natural with a hint more body than other replays which I very much approve of.

Games

I didn’t try these as they needed so much power they werent going to work for my use case

Overall

Personal score: 8.5/10
So this is by far my favorite of all the sets even though I think my setup is sub-optimal for it. The driver needs a lot of juice (Im at 422mW on the Qudelix) so I think it would be better in BAL. I think I figured out the fit on the Val39 shells though so that isn’t much of an issue anymore. Overall, this really works with my library. They have a heavy bass emphasis without it bleeding so the mids come through clear and laid back. I love pretty much everything about it although there are a few things I wish were different. * I would like a bit more treble extension. These are great for a mellow listen but the lack of upper treble takes some excitement away from me. * I may just be asking a lot here but with the amount of bass on these things I would love to feel it hit me more, I don’t know how feasible that is with ear buds though so I don’t fault this set for it.

Final thoughts

Im super thankful to @GooberBM for sending these my way, @MMag05 for letting his buds go on tour so we can experience what @Rikudou_Goku has created. Mad props to @Rikudou_Goku for creating such good buds at a crazy price point.

Out of the set that I tried the following are the ones I would recommend and why :

• Lancer 1: If you are looking for something that is going to sound good with your entire library I would pick this one. I honestly can’t really fault it and imo its a more exciting listen than the Saber 1s
  • Assassin 2: If you are looking for something unique and love mids this one is really cool. I don’t think I would ever recommend it as your daily carry, all around or first entry into buds but its definitely one that’s nice to have in your lineup to add some flavor
  • Grand Berserker 2: If you want bass in your face on the go
11 Likes

With buds you really only get crazy extension one way or the other. Not both. If you go for both, you will only be like 50/50 on them.

But imo, with buds, the upper-treble doesnt need to be as boosted as with iems. Since with iems, you need that boost to not make things lack air and help with the stage.

8 Likes

Phenomenally detailed article, my friend. Nicely done and it’s quite an achievement along with what @Rikudou_Goku has created for such incredibly competitive prices.

:handshake:

4 Likes

Totally makes sense and with that compromise in mind you choose the right direction! The GB2s are just addicting!

2 Likes

Extremely in-depth and very well written. Thanks for putting so much into it. Really hope some of this exposure helps @Rikudou_Goku sell more sets.

5 Likes

A while back when Brandon had the Rikubuds, I snagged the opportunity to listen to them too.

I also hope that @Rikudou_Goku creates some more varieties so people like me (who can’t use IEMs without auditory processing fatigue, SNIFFLES!) can still enjoy the audio experience. :smiling_face: :innocent:

4 Likes

What I hear, low-key:

“Get more Rikubuds”

I have created the monster! :man_facepalming:t5: :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

So, it is here… No more excuses for it being MX500 only.

7 Likes

Mate, I have something to show you:

P.S. just normal Ripples though haha

6 Likes

Just starting my research into earbuds. Excuse my stupid question but are the only differences between the “bell” and normal version just a different shell? No change in drivers?

1 Like

I am looking forward for your impressions for my 99% sure future purchase :sweat_smile: you have been waiting for yours way too long, wish you would have stellar experiences!

1 Like

Hi, I cannot answer 100% confidently for Jim in regards of those Bell Ripples. I do strongly believe though that it has the same driver as MX500 version - it is quite unique transducer in general not seen in a lot of places -, but probably due to the different acoustic properties of the shell cavity some part of the tuning materials needed to be changed.

You could ask him directly (on IG/head fi) how much it is the OG ripples just in different clothes, he is very responsive and honest :slight_smile:

5 Likes

He is also crazy responsive on emails. When I ordered my serratus I asked him about the difference between the bell and mx500 shells and he said there is a slight sonic difference. I assume that’s the same for the ripples

1 Like

I’ll just drip feed you the poison so you’ll get immune :stuck_out_tongue:

The unboxing experience alone was a step up from the Serratus!

6 Likes

:tomato:

Could you do the close up of this bass vent on the back of the shell?

1 Like