Earbuds Discussion Thread

I think you’ve hit the nail right on the head… the price-to-performance ratio of earbuds is insane - 600$ will get you a mid-fi IEM and yet in earbud format, you can buy 2-3 top shelf earbuds. It’s so easy to justify keeping 5 $200 earbuds when they outperform kilobuck IEMs :sweat:

Luckily I’m limited by my PayPal balance so I am obligated to sell things to take on new gear haha.

That said, I’m sitting on a collection of 10 earbuds not including the ones that will result from my DIY adventures… I’ve sold a couple things already to make way for a taste of the best of the best. Just not sure which one will take that spot :sweat_smile:

Have you heard the D3+ and if so how does that compare with the D3?

Also, OOC, what are your current “elite” tier buds? In our conversations you’ve mentioned the Ucotech and Cypherus and FranQLs DIY buds. Are there others that I should be aware of?

1 Like

I haven’t heard the 3+, but I will be soon as I’m going to be meeting up with a friend this weekend who just scored a pair a couple weeks ago. Ever since he got them I’ve been hounding him to pick a day to kick it before I leave to go on tour and he finally did. I’ll report back to you.

I don’t really have an established elite tier. I just have some buds that I think of as being the pinnacle. I’ll have to look at my collection and think about which ones are truly special. I haven’t had time to sit down and really do some comparisons since I have added a bunch of killer sets so what I would have answered two months ago has definitely changed. That’s kinda what I’m in the process of doing because I am looking to trim a few sets and I’m also just interested to see where all the top shelf buds in my collection really sit in the hierarchy relative to one another. I guess I’ll have to get back to you on that too lol! :joy:

Let me put it this way: At this point, I have access to so many legitimately awesome sets that for anything to stay in my collection (that’s not a budget fun pair) it has to have something about it that I find pretty special. Otherwise, it won’t get any ear time and will get moved pretty quickly. Does that make sense?

Edit: The ES-P1s, the Dragon 3s, Fran’s Blue Voodoo 600s, the Cypherus Black Edition Custom Retunes are definitely all there. I have others that are close to or on that level, but I need more evaluation time before I start labeling them that way so that I am confident in my assessments and don’t overstate or feel the need to backtrack.

Edit 2: The FF3s are a perfect case in point. They do something I have never heard another bud do and they get a lot of listening time for me because of that. Does that justify calling them elite or just really good? Either way, they’re special and won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. It’s things like that that I need to consider and really spend time doing comparative listening to figure out.

3 Likes

Wait wait what what? This notification caught me by surprise… I was going to take leaves and smoke a $1 cigar… now I don’t know what I’ll be doing!!!

EDIT: It just teleported after a few days in LA

The sneak preview: It is very unlikely that I’ll talk myself into keeping these. A single item they exceed the full audio budget I am trying to scrunch inside of right now. There will always be exceptions, if these turn out to be like a second birth for my ears or something.

6 Likes

But while they may not stay, do they live up to the hype?

I’ll have to find out!

Mail already came today unless the bills are from yesterday… imma light my pipe and tackle the yard.

3 Likes

I fully expect you to keep these. Even if you don’t, I also expect there’s a buyer literally lined up right outside your door. Let us know your thoughts regardless, brother - enjoy em while you can!

3 Likes

Ha, my Red Serratus are still in Carson, CA as of the 18th, but I assume they’ll also be teleporting to NC this week. I got real tempted with the hype, myself. First earbud I’ve voluntarily bought that wasn’t bundled with some other device.

4 Likes

:grin:

10 characters.

6 Likes

a bit early to ask but… first impressions? :grin:

1 Like

So I’m putting away the garden tools just as the USPS truck pulls in and asks for a signature.

In any other case I would have knocked the pipe bowl out where it was at and rushed inside, but this was a new tobacco my brother just bought for me as an early birthday present (Tewksberry Hobbit’s Weed Match from 4Noggins). So I did finish up, and then I rushed it.

Once in, I knew I had precious little time before my daughter woke up, and I had to shower before then. After opening the box I was so happy to see the set already had foams fitted - I can struggle pretty badly with putting foams on buds, so that saved me about 5 minutes!

But then things didn’t go to plan. I connected the Serratus to the R3 Pro’s balanced port using a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter off of Amazon. But a few seconds into the first song the volume started ramping up, and up… I had to quickly take the buds out of my ears as I saw it go steadily to 100%. The volume button felt a little mushy, and attempts to lower the volume only led to it ramping right up again. Then sometimes it would get stuck crashing all the way down to zero. There was nothing stuck under the button the last time I used it and it had just been left on my desk? Leveraging a thin knife blade in the edges of the volume button and running it around, I was able to regain clickiness and a proper response. But then it wouldn’t play any of the music, saying there was no media! If I told it to scan for sources it said there was no card mounted even after taking the MicroSD out and putting it back in.

Thankfully I had the idea of at least using it as BT receiver from my phone so it wouldn’t matter if it had local playback messed up. And that worked!

But at this point I only had time to dot between songs listening to 10 seconds of each at a time!

The bedtime routine’s been gone through now, and my wife is in another room so I can listen to not-so-isolated music. I’ll get some listening done now… might even be able to give it a “can not so isolated earbuds work during dishwashing” in a few minutes!

I think the reason it’s not knocking me sideways is because the Grand Archer is already very good, as my most recent point of reference for earbuds - I made sure to bring the GA home for this week so I can compare buds to buds.

So far I’m finding when the volume is high is when the Serratus excel most. I am finding vocals intimate while anything that’s not meant to be intimate is correctly distanced/staged. It can have a lot going on and everything sounds clear. It has good warmth and very good bass, doesn’t sound scooped out anywhere. Timbre is true to reputation. Wouldn’t be fair to say more for now as the impressions are very young.

Sorry if any of that’s incoherent, pretty tired, I need to stand up / move around the house.

8 Likes

It’s always a Hollywood production when you least expect it, am I right or what?! :joy::pinched_fingers:

My goodness. Well, I’m happy to read your first impressions, man. I look forward to the more detailed article :handshake:

2 Likes

Always! Whenever I try to rush a listen when I don’t have time for a proper sesh, especially on new gear, fate intervenes and slows me right the hell back down. I’ve gotten to the point where I expect it now so I don’t open new arrivals until I have time for a legit session.

1 Like

@rattlingblanketwoman I really like your storytelling. It reminds me a lot of Mark Kozelek (lead singer of Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon). Those are very simple, down to earth descriptions of real life situations, nothing crazy, but there is something really poetic/eerie to it and you want to know more.

See e.g. Gustavo song or You Missed my heart:

So not to offtop heavily - I really love Perils from The Sea album on my Serratii :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha what a rollercoaster! I hope you get some quality time with them soon! Looking forward to your impressions!

1 Like

First song wasn’t impressed, 2nd song I was loving it. Incredible timbre, stage and detail, best transducer I’ve heard in a long time (and I’ve heard some insane speaker setups). TGX knows what he’s doing.

2 Likes

Looks like the Serratus has started it’s journey across the pond :smiley:

7 Likes

I think my TGX order might’ve been sent on the same day as yours! :beers:

1 Like

I’m so worried I might not like the Serratus, I hate blind buying man it always makes me anxious not knowing what I’ll hear until I have the product in hand :man_facepalming:

1 Like

To get this out of the way, Initial impressions are mixed, leaning negative, and in all likelihood I’ll be selling these due to both comfort and sound. This is coming from someone who has been almost strictly an IEM user for a number of years.

The closest thing to a traditional earbud that I’ve owned in recent times, and now that I think of it, technically an earbud (just in that newfangled tws shape), is the wired USB-C Google Buds that I’ve used with my Pixel for the longest time.

Compared to the more typical mid-forward signature, the Serratus is much more bodied, with a v-shaped signature ( and treble that’s a bit hot) uncharacteristic of earbuds I’ve previously listened to. Decent stage and separation, but contrary to some quite hyperbolic descriptions I’ve read, they fall squarely in between my Fiio FHE and LZ A6 (Pink Filter) for detail retrieval.

(TENTATIVE)
Unfortunately, I’ve come to find, that earbuds are simply not for me comfort-wise. The foams caused irritation with my outer ear (that’s a me problem YMMV), and now I’m reminded of how important ear loops and ear hooks are for me. With how the weight was distributed the earbuds would pull down on the intertragal notches, which wasn’t ideal.

Source gear included the Soekris 2541 → LA90 w/ a balanced banana-plug to female XLR and my QP2R DAP.

4 Likes

When are yours supposed to arrive? I felt like it’s been a while since you ordered them