Earbuds Discussion Thread

Yes, buds are light and comfortable. I like to change between buds and IEM so my ears don’t get too tired one way or another.

2 Likes

Hype bump.

Buy buds

1 Like

That was my hope, until I triedVE Monk and found it super uncomfortable lol. But @Rikudou_Goku told me there’s another common shape I should try, so I’ll give that a go

@Rikudou_Goku do you know if Beryllium drivers used in earbuds are actual beryllium coated drivers, or is it all marketing hype? Tinhifi T1S is supposed to be Be, but man I don’t trust that one bit

I need good bass for my classical music though. I’ve read your customs have good bass - maybe I should wait for one of your 7 upcoming launches?

oh, the NiceHCK EB2S isnt a common shape.

Other shell standards exists like the PK, MX760 and DP100 shells though.
Have a look here:

I do not know tbh. I know that from looking at taobao, beryllium coated drivers are super cheap. For both iem and earbud drivers.

I did actually order a driver, which has a titanium coated version and another beryllium coated version. When I got it, they sounded identical. So I have no idea if the bery coating is just…bad…or I got scammed by the seller cuz the drivers DO look identical…

I suggest you wait for my “chaconne killer” (not really a true upgrade to the Chaconne since it will have more sub-bass whereas the chaconne rolls-off way too much). :wink:

2 Likes

in general, think of it like this:

Iem = closed back hp
Earbud = open back hp

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen that comparison around, and I wanna try to get into it again. I have the Sundara and it’s great, so if an earbud can approach that level (:pray:), then game-changer really

For my buds, I aim to not have them have such a big sub-bass roll-off like most branded buds. So even for my neutral and brighter buds, they will have some boost there to compensate for the natural roll-off.
If you read my bud reviews, they all have sub-bass roll-off as a con, I aim to fix that con with my buds.

1 Like

oh, my sundara is gathering dust. :rofl:

2 Likes

Holy cow! You’re raising my expectations good sir!

Yup, which is why I’m keen to wait for one of yours :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do believe the Sundara might have an edge in imaging and separation over buds though, due to the planar. Resolution is basically tied, at least on the more technical buds. (the sundara also has a tonal advantage in that regard and planar.)

Timbre, bass texture, soundstage and air are all better on pretty much all the DIY buds I made so far…

Ironically, its harder to screw up the timbre of a bud than to have a natural timbre. :rofl:

1 Like

Crikey, you’re selling your work very well! And I don’t mean that in a derogatory way - since you can A/B with the Sundara, I trust your statements! Given how many people rave about the Sundaras, I can only imagine your earbuds / good earbuds sound amazing.

It really is a bit strange why earbuds haven’t made a bigger splash on here. This is post #34, compared to #2729 on IEM Discussion!

1 Like

Sundaras are a bit overhyped IMO. But they ARE the best open-back hps I have tried…(also have the R70x and that is…uhhhh inferior…).

But hey, as I said, start with the dirt cheap Vido before you move on to my or tgx78´s buds. Doesnt matter how good they sound if you cant fit them…

Yeah…me and @nymz are like the only reviewers here praising buds…

2 Likes

VE included another free earbud in my order that looks like the Vido - I’ll take a pic when I have it available so you can confirm if it’s MX500 shape :slight_smile: I think I’ll need to try PK shape or buy a silicone case

Yeah, post a pic and I can confirm it.

PK buds are really rare though…and dont be tricked by the NiceHCK B40, thats not the actual PK shell. (its different and worse according to a lot of people.)

Shozy BK uses a real one I believe.

But yeah, the price is steep. And I dont think its really well regarded either…

Hmm maybe it’ll be best if I make the MX500 shells more comfortable for my ears. Maybe some silicone covers or dental wax (I use it at work for non-dental stuff haha). I’d be surprised if my ears are so different from the average shape…gotta experiment lol. I’d rather play around with the shell to make it comfortable than give up sound quality

you could consider trying these silicone ring hooks:

I have ordered some other shells to try out though, so hopefully I can find something else than just MX500 shells.

1 Like

Have you tried any NiceHCK earbuds?