Earbuds Discussion Thread

Thanks for the early impressions, brother! I take it that you’re enjoying them then?

The part that surprised me is you’re hearing more detail than the Serratus? Dayum - that is insane.

2 Likes

The thing that doesn’t get said much about Serratus is that the treble is hella boosted. That is definitely NOT natural treble, but it is a part of why the staging plays out the way it does.

Ripples is a vastly more natural listen.

9 Likes

Hmmm, important clarification…

Definitely a good distinction between the two. I think I prefer a slightly boosted treble, past say 5k for a touch more air and overall clarity.

The Serratus while maybe wasn’t the most natural sounding, I could perceive more detail over say the Monarch’s, which have a neutral tuning across the FR besides maybe the sub bass. Maybe I’m just hard of hearing when it comes to treble :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

There definitely are good reasons for boosted treble, and I’m certainly not qualifying it as a weakness.

Just two different flavors of special

I like it, I like it. Jim has made two fantastic sets that you could absolutely justify owning simultaneously- that’s damn special.

2 Likes

I know, at some point, I will have to.

@Lcg842 may break up with me if I refuse her Serratus…

:neutral_face:

1 Like

Break up with you? Well that seems like a very measured response for no Serratus, sir :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I mean she had a taste of near-perfection.

And then there’s me.

I can understand the balance on the scales :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Exactly.

Which is why I try hard not to let my wife get her pretty little hands on the Monarch’s - can’t be too careful now-a-days :smiling_face_with_tear::rofl:

1 Like

Yeah I guess the combo of better texture and dynamics in the bass region gives the impression of better bass detail. Serratus has a lot more treble detail and treble overall. I find both to have realistic timbre, although obviously the Serratus has a sharper bite while the Ripples has thicker noteweight

1 Like

Ohhh, PPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Don’t worry, I would never do that. Oy vey!!! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well damn, now I want the ripples and I haven’t even gotten my serratus!

2 Likes

Here’s a comprehensive review by Ian:

I don’t have the Alpha but are with his take on the Serratus and Ripples for most part. Need more time to figure out the nuances myself;

Hehehehehehehehehe :laughing:

2 Likes

You can still EQ Goober here and there :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’m trying not to get my hopes up but I just checked my tracking and it looks like my serratus is out for delivery today!

I can’t wait to compare them to my current fav, GB2!

6 Likes

Oh, she is fully in control of my PEQ function.

Do not doubt this for a second

2 Likes

:grin: :+1:t2:
(10 characters)

They arrived! I’ve only gotten 10 minutes on them so no thoughts outside of “these are definitely worth it!”

I can see how the Ripples would be a nice compliment

10 Likes