Elysian Acoustic Labs Pilgrim IEM - Impressions, Discussions, Pictures, and Comparisons

This is what I was saying. The cable might seem expensive but it’s a one time investment.
The cable improved Verdandi/GATE so much that, I was shocked.

1 Like

And I’m saying anyone who spends $300 on a cable for a $400 IEM is nuts or likes to burn money.

Your mileage may vary … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see where @Argha and @ATechReviews are coming from. I’ve experienced IEMs that sounded decent with stock cables, but when paired with high-quality cables (sometimes costing twice as much as the IEM), the sound quality improved significantly. While I don’t typically recommend spending a lot of money on cables, I’ve gone from being a skeptic to cautiously experimenting with different cables to see how they affect the performance of an IEM or headphone. In some cases, when you’re mostly satisfied with an IEM’s tuning but seeking that final 10-15% improvement in sound quality, cable rolling can make a noticeable difference.

2 Likes

That’s mighty expensive EQ. To each their own.

1 Like

I have seen people using Eros cable with KZ ZAS :slight_smile:

I haven’t believed in Cables since the start. In 2024 due to more exposure I tried different cables (Expensive to be exact). I am a huge EQ Enthusiast, Crossfeed/Convolution everything I do use in my day to day life. And cable SQ changes can’t be replicated by EQ. Like This particular cable enhances the texturing in midrange, and refine the treble.

Even then, I don’t support/trash expensive cables. My point is if you’re getting a cable within the packet - you are free to use that cable with any other IEMs too.

2 Likes

i would love to try rme adi 2 pro. i have heard few rumors that rme is working on new balanced dac amp with audiophiles in mind and have more power

1 Like

That’s a clever way of looking at it. Cables are important, especially if an IEM is sensitive and has low impedance, or if there’s an issue with the cable itself, as I’ve experienced before. They can make a difference, but they won’t change the fundamental character of the IEM. For example, using the Pilgrim Noir cable with the Pilgrim made a slight improvement, but it was still the Pilgrim I was listening to.

Honestly, many other factors dramatically change the sound for me more than cables do. Things like DACs, amps, and even ear tips make a bigger impact, at least for me. I care about cables more for the overall experience. When I buy a high-end IEM, I expect a high-end cable that looks good, doesn’t tangle or have memory, feels nice, and is made of premium materials. I expect it to sound good. I respect those who invest in expensive cables, but I don’t feel my ears are discerning enough to hear massive differences.

The Noir is a retuning with a different driver, crossover, and a high-quality Effect Audio cable that you can use with other IEMs. In my experience, Effect Audio makes the best cables I’ve come across, so it’s worth the money if that’s what you’re after. The cable alone costs almost $400, making it a good deal if you’re looking for that.

As for me, I’m a simple guy. I love my Elysian Pilgrim and the cable that came with it. I even bought another original single-ended cable for it. Together, they sound great to me.

2 Likes

Exactly, you get a better deal by buying the IEM with the cable, and you can use the cable with other IEMs. If you use TermX, you can easily switch the connector to 2-Pin, MMCX, etc. Plus, the cable is a perfect pairing for the IEM itself.

1 Like

ROFL lol, this just got me laughing hard haha.

1 Like

Do you have more info on that? That sounds great, though I’m not sure what else they could improve. It already has a lot of power. Maybe they could add a front XLR headphone output, but given the size, I doubt they’ll do that.

I’m not pointing a finger at you, but there’s one area of sound improvement that often is overlooked: File quality.

How many people are running YouTube Music or Spotify 320 kbps through quality gear? More than we think.

I know there’s a crowd that insists Qobuz and Tidal high-res files sound no different than Spotify 320 kbps. I can certainly tell a difference in dynamics and clarity between Qobuz and Spotify, especially on my best gear.

4 Likes

100% I have LP/CD rips of my favourite albums—huge Huge difference.

And for that point - Cable rolling is much more noticeable in AB testing than the delta between Spotify & Apple Music

2 Likes

It is true and that is why I have most of my library Offline. I prefer streaming for new music either on Apple Music or Qobuz. I usually prefer Tidal but since neither tidal nor Qobuz are available in my country, I have to rely on a VPN to even log in for the first time.

2 Likes

Got it. That definitely makes a difference. For me, Spotify is just okay; it’s great for discovering music and sharing playlists with friends. Besides that, I use Tidal, Qobuz, and offline music files. I can hear a difference, and I tested it before deciding to use them.

1 Like

I agree with you. High-resolution files or streaming services like Qobuz and Tidal indeed provide superior audio quality, allowing high-end audio equipment to fully showcase its capabilities.

In case anyone is still on the fence about using hi-res files, here’s my reasons why they matter.

1. Audio Quality:

• Lossless Formats: Offline files in lossless formats (e.g., FLAC, ALAC) or high-resolution streaming services offer better sound quality compared to compressed formats used by services like Spotify or YouTube Music. Lossless formats preserve the original audio data, providing a richer and more detailed listening experience.
    • Bitrate and Sampling Rate: High-resolution audio files typically have higher bitrates and sampling rates (e.g., 24-bit/96kHz or higher) compared to standard streaming services, resulting in greater dynamic range and more precise sound reproduction.
  2. Compression Artifacts:

• Lossy Compression: Services like Spotify (with Ogg Vorbis compression) and YouTube Music (with AAC compression) use lossy compression to reduce file sizes, which can introduce artifacts and reduce audio fidelity. This can mask the finer details of music, especially noticeable on high-end equipment.
    • Uncompressed Quality: Offline files and high-resolution streaming avoid these issues, maintaining the integrity of the original recording.
  3. Listening Environment:

• Controlled Environment: In a controlled listening environment with high-end audio gear, the differences in audio quality become more apparent. High-resolution audio can reveal nuances and details that are often lost with compressed formats.
  4. Hardware Synergy:

• Optimal Performance: High-end audio gear is designed to reproduce sound with high accuracy and detail. Feeding it high-quality audio allows it to perform at its best, just as a high-performance car performs optimally with high-quality fuel.
    • DACs and Amps: DACs and amplifiers in high-end systems can process and amplify high-resolution audio signals more effectively, leading to a superior listening experience.
  5. User Preferences:

• Convenience vs. Quality: While some users prioritize convenience and accessibility (e.g., using Spotify for its vast library and ease of use), if you’re really looking to get the most out of your gear, the effort of collecting hi-res offline files or a streaming service that supports hi-res audio is worth it.

Ultimately, while it isn’t a strict rule to use only high-resolution files, doing so can significantly enhance the listening experience, especially when using high-end audio equipment. It allows the equipment to perform to its fullest potential, delivering the detailed, immersive sound that audiophiles seek.

It’s like feeding low quality fuel to a super car in simpler words

4 Likes

It would be extremely convenient to have an XLR PO out in the front. I’m using a dual 6.35 to XLR female adaptor to use RME Pro in balanced mode.

1 Like

I’ve worked in motorsports for 35 years, and that’s the exact analogy I use when people run Spotify through expensive gear. “You just bought a Ferrari 488; why the hell are you running 87 octane in it?”

:slight_smile:

Don’t know if anyone mentioned, but there’s realy nice influence of additional impedance to the sound signature. It’s not neccessary to add a lot, but to my taste additional wieight on mid bass is very welcome for Pilgrim.

5 Likes

Thats why it sounds extra special on my ONIX XM5 with 6.6ohm output impedance