Elysian Acoustic Labs Pilgrim IEM - Impressions, Discussions, Pictures, and Comparisons

My understanding: any changes done physically will not have the same effect as PEQ. I think using an impedance adaptor would have a different result compared to PEQ.

Yes, if its done by acoustic physical damping. Impedance adapter is an electrical factor and should be much closer to what you can do with peq.

1 Like

Hmm. Valid point. But PEQ is on the digital side. Wouldn’t that still have slightly different effect on sound compared to using a impedance adaptor?

As long as you properly use preamp it should be fine.

I conducted a blind A/B test with the help of a friend, even swapping the cables (using the Noir cable with the Pilgrim and then the original cable again). The test was volume-matched, but the EQ was not perfect—more of an approximate EQ based on the frequency response curve I measured. To keep it brief, I couldn’t reliably distinguish between the two most of the time. Even the technicalities and detail retrieval sounded identical, making it feel like I was guessing. However, this is just my experience, and others may have different results.

4 Likes

I would still take Pilgrim OG as is. Although it’s slightly bright for my taste but man does it retrieve details effortlessly. It’s $400 well spent for anyone who buys it and their sound preferences align close to Pilgrim.

3 Likes

Do you have the PEQ preset?

This is a very useful tool for a test like this though.

Using a squig that has both iems graphed, go into the EQ tab, select the iem you want to EQ to (in this case it is from the OG to the Noir) then click on the AutoEQ button and you will get the PEQ preset for it.

3 Likes

Thank you for introducing me to AutoEQ. I wasn’t aware of this feature. Here’s the EQ preset I used with the Pilgrim OG to make it sound almost indistinguishable from the Noir (at least to me). While it may not be the most precise, it worked well for me:

• Preamp: -5.2 dB
  • Filter 1: ON PK Fc 110 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 0.800
  • Filter 2: ON PK Fc 460 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 1.100
  • Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2600 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 2.000
  • Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3900 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 2.000
  • Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5100 Hz Gain -5.0 dB Q 2.000
  • Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6100 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 2.000
  • Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8500 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 1.800
  • Filter 8: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain 7.0 dB Q 2.000
  • Filter 9: ON PK Fc 18000 Hz Gain -12.0 dB Q 1.600
2 Likes

so OG = Noir without spending any penny?
I mean was the difference only due to tuning and color?

There will be subtle differences given the extra driver count but mostly yes.

2 Likes

Pilgrim in the house for a tour. Early impressions are positive, but will need to give it an extended listen.
nice to see inclusion of Spinfits.

2 Likes

Since they use the same drivers in a different arrangement and crossover, and share the same shell, it makes sense. Most of the price difference is actually due to the cable. I see you have one now. If you’re curious, you could try experimenting with the EQ settings I posted above.

2 Likes

for sure, I would try the EQ to see how subtle/major is the difference

1 Like

Let us know which version you prefer.

But i heard that the Pilgrim Noir uses a knowles unit, like one of the drivers is something upgraded. Maybe that was just in the talks.

1 Like

You’re right, and that Knowles driver is used for the highs. The Pilgrim OG has two E50 Sonion BAs for the highs, providing more treble extension. According to their official website, the driver configuration of the Pilgrim OG is:

• 1x Custom LSR DD for bass
  • 1x Sonion 2300 for the mids
  • 2x Sonion E50 BA for the highs
  • A three-way crossover

The Noir uses:

• 1x The same custom LSR DD for bass
  • 2x Sonion 2300 for the mids
  • 1x Knowles BA for the highs
  • A four-way crossover
  • The Effect Audio cable

I’m curious, @gadgetgod have you had a chance to listen to the Noir?

1 Like

Yups I have at a meetup for about 15-20 mins. It sounded fuller in midrange, slightly relaxed in treble. For exquisite details i would still pick OG Pilgrim but fuller midrange of Noir is worth listening(although I don’t think that it is 400$ extra worth by any means).

2 Likes

so the driver configuration is different, not sure why they chose to name it is Pilgrim Noir, instead they could have considered and launching a new iem altogether :smiley:

Initial impressions of the OG are very positive for me. Firstly, the stock cable is high quality for an iem of this price, the treble is detailed and airy, bass is impressive and female vocals is just :heart_eyes: , listening to Sabrina Carpenter’s Espresso as I type this.

Didnt like its carry case at all. my S12 pros case are much better with a zip.

1 Like

Took out my pilgrim for a short listen after getting sick for more than a week. I’m still enchanted by the magic of this IEM. It sounds so goood. :heart:

7 Likes

Today I hooked the Pilgrim on my XD05 Pro with ROHM DAC and used Eletech Baroque tips, man i fell in love instantly. The stage depth, the layering, and then the quick bass, everything sounded so good that I spent a good 2-3 hour session in a single go. Don’t ask me where the Pilgrim is because she is in my ears haha.

5 Likes