šŸ”· Emotiva BasX A-100

Are you talking about the TA-100 receiver /dac/amp unit? If so i am not familiar with that piece. The bassX A-100 is what i use and continue to enjoy.
At under $250 shipped for a brand new unit i personally find it one of the best values available. Itā€™s not perfect by any means but has solid useful features. As long as the rest of your equipment is of similar price and quality i donā€™t see an issue. Good luck

I am talking about the A-100 mini X i should have clarified. i believe its the exact same speaker output section. Thanks, just looking for an upgrade to the sound, and i dont think im letting the UB5 shine with my cheap receiver.

On their site and canā€™t find that particular model. If all it lacks is the HP output it should provide similar sonic performance, which as i stated if using similar quality and price components should perform well

In my opinion, itā€™s a noticeable improvement. I switched from my older 90 W per channel Sony receiver and it immediately sounded better.

Question- cranking the volume knob past about 60% I start to get noticeable hiss- whether itā€™s my Dekoni Blues or my 880 600s. If I remember correctly Zeos makes a point about how you get none of that on the 880s because thatā€™s the amount of resistance there is. Iā€™ve tried feeding it with both my Grace SDAC and iFi Zen and get the same result. Now, my Zen is USB powered, and I can get a iFi Power Supply 50% off plus shipping right now. Will that solve my problem? Is it because Iā€™ve only ever tried using a USB powered DAC or is it simply by nature of the fact that itā€™s a fucking Speaker amp with the jumpers installed and thatā€™s never going away regardless of the DAC quality/power type?

The bias-current hiss should be constant volume.
Just checked on mine and the hiss on mine gets louder only after 3 oā€™clock.

Maybe try unplugging everything except headphones and power and listen to what should be a near constant volume hiss.

Yeah. It is a speaker amp first, headphone amp second.
Might still want to make sure it is not deffective.

1 Like

I definitely donā€™t think itā€™s defective. The same thing happened both DACs going into my SP200 at a certain level of volume, but once I went balanced from the Zen to the SP200 it really took away the background and made it a lot quieter, partly by virtue of the fact I didnā€™t have to have the volume up on the SP200 as much anymore. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m more convinced itā€™s just the noise RCA from a USB powered DAC

Sounds like a ground loop honestly.

1 Like

Thoughts on no-jumper vs jumper?

Iā€™ve purchased this amp to hook up a set of speakers in addition to headphones. I primarily listen on my T60rp Argons. If I get all of the volume that I need out of the box, is there any other advantage to installing the jumpers on this?

No, itā€™s my opinion that this ā€˜page 11ā€™ mod really isnā€™t worth it due to the severe amount of noise it puts to headphones. Have a look at these two posts of mine from December.

3 Likes

Donā€™t think of it as noiseā€¦Itā€™s more a classic 50ā€™s hi-fi sound signatureā€¦:crazy_face::+1:

1 Like

Unlike others who claim hissing at knob levels below what would literally damage your hearing itā€™s a delight and I think i would much rather own the Bas X A-100 + 880 600ohm + 990 600hm that the 1990ā€™s as I listen for fun and enjoyment and have the sundaras as a stopgap between fun and criticalā€¦
That being said itā€™s an improvment over my Magni 3 as far as quality goes (I use it soley for my DT990ā€™s) but itā€™s fucking scary to have hooked up for a $350 set of cans since 20% of knob is 100% volume, so I keep my Sundaras and my incoming 6XX on schiit magni 3 and use an Aux switch.

Worth every penny just to drive my DT990 600ohms though and I surely will be getting more hard to drive headphones in the future to experiment and take advantages, as well as maybe some actual audiophile speakers to replace my Z906 system now that I have this amp hanging around.

Who claimed what now?

Fact of the matter is that a speaker amp built like the Emotiva can drive headphones, the relatively high bias-current will be audible in the headphones though.

This the 5 year warranty and the fact they routinely sell used for new from emotiva price (even more in a few cases factoring shipping) itā€™s just a no brainer unless you desperately need the $200. I think if Emotiva ever stops making them abruptly then it could even increase is value some. Itā€™s a novel beast, itā€™s kind to have so much raw power and carefully and nervously hookup other sets of cans to temporarily enjoy it or compare itā€¦

Wish the non jumper power scheme made a bit more sense on the low end though.

1 Like

Seems like you just claimed it as well, sorry but without even a dac my high quality HEDT mobo has no audible hiss on the DT990ohms or Sundaras anywhere close to listening level for either, Zeos has the same experience with the DT880ā€™s as well.

Guess I am lucky and got a prime unit.

:^)

Initially had the jumpers on, but removed it as I wanted to use the system with lower z headphones.
To be honest, I donā€™t really miss it. My headphones are the dt880 600, t1.2, and an x2hr.

Also had it running a pair of speakers for a bit but felt they were a bit too ā€œthinā€ for my speakers, hope that makes sense. Now I just run them as an HP out with my rega brio r.

1 Like

Hey has anyone ever experienced an issue with the amp causing your speakers to pop during playback, and what did you do to resolve it.

I can totally relate to this. Emotiva sounds extraordinary with DT 880s in 600 ohms (in direct mode), Iā€™ll buy 990 in 600 ohms too as soon as they go on sale. There is no noise, not even on a max volume in the quite room at night with no music playing. With other headphones with 30 or 50 ohms impedance, the noise is there, but you are not supposed to use such headphones with eMotiva in direct mode. That being said, I have old Cambridge Azure integrated amp - basic model and Iā€™m using itā€™s headphones out which drives 880s with the same quality as eMotiva, I donā€™t know the measurements for Cambridge, but they must be not far off, since I can only get up to 11 oā€™clock on the volume knob.

2 Likes

Looking to buy a BasX A-100ā€¦anyone?

look up HiFiShark.com and see whoā€™s selling.

1 Like