Endgame cans (<1200$)

Just trying to get an idea of your shopping options. I just recently saw a set of used Cascades going for about $600.00 (Canadian $'s) on Canuck Audio Mart (CAM). That is about $450.00US.

The Canadian dealer still seems to have them in stock.

Just an FYI.

1 Like

I’m almost settled on the HE-R9. Is the sound comparable to the Cascades?

The headband felt uncomfortable after longer periods , but the sound was amazing! Almost as amazing as the TH-900. Makes me wish they would make a Cascade V2 model.

There’s also the Denon D5200 similarly priced to the R9 , but I’m not sure. I’m open to hear more suggestions.

Those two are my only “keepers” for now. They are very different sounds. The only things they have in common, IMO, is bass and being closed backs.

What do you think about the differences in sounds and comfort?

Haven’t ordered yet as I stumbled upon this on the official Head-Fi thread for the Cascade:

I have a little tip for you all which don’t feel the headphones sit perfectly on their head:

• Take off both earpads.

• Hold the Cascades with one finger in the middle of the headband.

• Look if the Cascades have any tendency to go more inwards on the right or left. You do this because there might some imbalances in the headband steel which will result in more pressure on one side of the Cascades, which can ultimately cause a “fake channel imbalance”. Really, my Cascades had just a bit more pressure on the left side and the bass seemed a bit panned to the right, now the bass is almost perfectly centered as is everything else.

• Bend the headband in way that makes the Cascades (look) symetrical.

• Put on the earpads again and enjuuuy ya holy Cascades!

I hope this will help someone. A slight tilt of the bass to the right drove me a bit mad, especially in the beginning, because I constantly thought they weren’t matched really well, which they are.

I will see what I can do about this. Can’t wait to get home from work , my hopes are rising! I will buy Dekoni nuggets for comfort if things go well.

2 Likes

Sadly I couldn’t do much about them , sent them back after all. They said the HE-R9 are not in stock yet.
I’m almost set on the R9s but the recently released Meze 109 Pro also caught my attention. Not enough impressions on those and they’re more expensive.
I also found an used pair of HE-500 and heard they can deliver slam but I’m a bit skeptical on planars when it comes to bass.

1 Like

depends what you’re looking for really, generally Dynamic drivers bass sounds a bit more natural but planars are faster and cleaner
if you listen to really fast paced music planar is worth a shot

3 Likes

At this point, you’re just looking at too many options and you’ll only confuse yourself.
Go back to the drawing board and condense your list again. TH900, He500, Cascades, Denons, EMUs, He-R9 - that’s quite far and wide.

Best to try some of these cans somehow before you make your decision.

That said, the denon 5200 seems like an appropriate choice. new hifiman dynamics may be good, but Biodynas have stood the test of time. remember that the all time favorite and legendary Sony and JVC wooden headphones have biodynas.

The denons are even more solid built than Fostex (there’s even lesser failure points in the new ones, 5200, 7200, 9200). You get same great biodyna bass. High magnetic flex (at least 1+ tesla) will make it faster than average dynamic drivers. And build quality is better than either Hifiman or Fostex. So there.

PS: Do remember one last thing. Everyone’s Endgame is going to be different. My endgame is not your endgame. So ultimately, you decide what really hits all the notes right - for YOU.

1 Like

Well , my list got narrowed down to:

Hifiman HE-R9 (400$) > tried to order these and was told they aren’t in stock yet.

Denon D5200 are no longer on sale (600$ now) but take a look at these, which claimed to be in perfect condition:

Wondering if it’s a better buy than the 5200s.

And this pair of HE-500 for 500$

Claimed to be lightly used , the wear on the box bothers me a bit when they are being sold for that price. Seen them go for 350-400$ in other places.

For 450€ the Denon 7000 would be a good price with that nice biodynamic punch :heart_eyes:
You’ll just have to see if that site has any buyer protection because I would be a bit sceptic for that price with that condition :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like