Entry Level Electrostatic Headphones

Also, have a look at the Verum Ones! Hand-made planars.

the blon20(450 or 350 on massdrop) is interesting but only at the massdrop price do I think they are worth a look. also need to buy the cloth hybrid pads for the blon. The monoprice m570 come with the pads and is 300 msrp( I also think it looks better) so i’m super interested for when those are released next weekish. Its a risk passing up the drop of the b20 but i think the m570 might be the better choice in the long run(and i don’t consider the takstar an option as i hate the way it looks and no removable cable). Also if you have any issues dealing with monoprice is easier than takstar which you can only get from aliexpress or massdrop.

I agree the m570 looks like the better choice with the build and the price

why are we talking about planars in a thread that’s for estat’s?

PAB, check out local audiomart websites, you likely can score a wicked deal on something used.

1 Like

Think he mentioned planars and I kinda said they are an in between for dynamics and estats

he does make a reference to planars…that he doesn’t know anything about them.

what companies would you say are brighter vs darker for planars?

HiFiMan leans towards brighter while Audeze is darker…whom else fits these shoes?

Mrspeakers leans towards more neutral and compressed

Fostex leans darker neutral

Other companies either only have like 1 planar or are too inconstant off the top of my head

What about these: Monolith by Monoprice Electrostatic Headphone with Amplifier
Anyone with hands-on experience?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33455

They aren’t great. Really not worth looking at imo. Was not impressed when I tried a friend’s pair, he wasn’t either and send them back

Okay, thx. Then they are not in scope.

perhaps consider using a freight forwarding service and use the free US shipping to the forwarder?

I’ve been looking into that. There’s a rather large number of sketchy services in this field though so a lot of research is key.

indeed…most freight forwarding services are used to skirt some sort of barrier :wink:

Lol but really I wish there was a USPS option. It would actually be cheaper and faster just to pay duty through that

Where do you live Bastien?

I live up in Canada.

same as me then. well, I have friends in the US that I’m sure would help me out to help you out, if you’re interested. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s cool. I got a few friends in the US who want to help and I’m trying to coordinate something with them.

1 Like

Well, bonjour du Québec. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Coming back to this because I’ve still been shopping around. And found a L700 Mk2 Stax for a reasonable price plus a small energizer from stax for about 500. The STAX SRM-252S. Is that good energizer/headphone combo?

There’s also a question of a number of Tube Amps made for Electrostats and I was wondering what tubes does to the sound of ES earspeakers.