Entry Level Electrostatic Headphones

The L700Mk2 is really good, a pretty nice estat for sure (wouldn’t say entry level lol). That energizer might be a bit underpowered and not bring out the full potential of the L700, but it would work. I don’t know if I could give you a recommendation on an energizer since I’m not well versed enough imo. I would guess something more appropriate might be something like the SRM-353X

That particular model seems difficult to find up here but they have something called the srm 006ts for a similar price

Side note: I just found out that mr speakers makes an electrostat. Interesting

I was considering the voce, but ultimately I found the sound, while good, kinda unexciting. But build and comfort were crazy good

I wonder how amp/Energizer dependent electrostats are. Like that ifi iesl thing has sound characteristics that change depending on what power source you run for it according to some folks

Yeah, that’s true. Estats are more dependent on energizers then headphones on amps imo (excluding some outlier headphones that are very very amp picky)

being there are grades of energizer out there, I suspect they do affect how the ear speakers would sound. a bit harder to do than DAC’s n amps due to their price points…but it would be cool to do AB testing for sure!

anyone here use the Drop / Koss eStat’s on anything other than the Koss energizer?

I’ve used the original esp950 on a woo audio stax amp (can’t remember which), and it was a step up. Although the 95x sounds better then the 950, so your mileage might vary. That adapter is pricey though, I think they were like 200 usd for the koss plug to stax pro

The only stat I’ve heard was an L300 through a woo tube Energizer. Best way I can describe it is squished jello being fed into my ears. I mean that in a good way. :laughing: I only listened for about 30 seconds because the system was around $10000 and I didn’t want to get used to it.

2 Likes

Smart choice. Remember kids don’t get hooked, it will change your life. I wish someone warned me of that when I was younger lol

1 Like

CRIKEY! that is quite the price for an adapter.

where does one even look for those?

It’s why I’m kind of fascinated with the ifi iesl. You can change out the power source to be anything. Crown class amps. Tube monoblocs. Digital amps with a tube preamp.
The options are endless.

Yes, it’s a really nice unit, but is pricey

eBay or somewhere else. You can make your own for probably a fair bit cheaper

well…I found another listing on Ebay for $117…and then one on Headfi for $99. hasn’t been updated for a while, but just posted asking about availability. :wink:

perhaps someone has the 95x lying around cause their energizer kicked the bucket.

Looking at research for this thinking about a certain combo.

Balanced Line out from my DAC to A Schiit Freya + to a clean class D amp like a crown or an Emotiva Amp to the IESL. Gives me Tube options Plus a balanced headphone out (has anyone used the 4 pin out on the IESL?).
And technically roughly equal in price to the mid range solid state Stax headphone energizer.

That would be a pretty nice setup :+1:. The emotiva a300 is a great amp, and would work fairly well for that setup. The balanced headphone out depends on what amp you feed it with I think

I’ll keep an eye out for the A300 as it seems to be hard to find on amazon canada or other retailers unless you buy direct from Emotiva’s website. I’m also looking at a crown Drivecore 2 amp as well.

You could try and find some used bryston power amps, as they are a high end manufacturer in Canada, and their stuff is really good. You would just have to see what you can get used to get a good price

The Cheapest Bryston I can find on Canuck Audiomart from a well rated seller is just a hair shy of a 1000 dollars. The interesting thing with this set up is that whole set up is modular and I can upgrade each component over time.

You can roll the tubes
Change out the Preamp if something more interesting comes along (even the Ican pro can work here because its meant to be used as either a preamp or an amp)
Change the amp, Class D, A, A/B, etc More power, different levels of cleanness)
Change the through put (Iesl) if something more interesting comes along
Headphones.
Etc

Is parasound available where you are?