Entry Level Electrostatic Headphones

Kinda… a few online retailers sell them. It’s like the brystons. Expensive when used and if sold new the store wont tell you the price online.

The cheapest used one from a reputable canuck audio mart seller i could find is 750 dollars

It’s strange. Toronto is a massive city but it’s got very few hifi stores it seems. I know two within easy access to me the rest are all at the edges of the city or further in rich neighborhoods.

You might find some Rotel or Adcom power amps for a decent price perhaps

1 Like

Those seem more affordable used

They are pretty good power amps, and they should be at a reasonable price

I’ve also found decent prices on something called the PRO-JECT AMP BOX RS but I have no clue if it’s any good.

I have not heard it personally, but I know it wasn’t really well regarded to some

Interesting. Nad is a common brand in a lot of stores around here as well it seems

Nad stuff is pretty good as well, although their amps lean more towards analytical then others

I’ve also started looking at some class ab amps as well. There seems to be some affordable options available there.

Yeah, you can find some nice class ab for not alot of money

I’ve also been looking at those emotiva pa 1 monoblocs but I’m worried they might harsh sounding for this set up

I personally think they would be, because I think they haven’t really gotten good at class d yet, since ab has been their bread and butter for awhile

I might have a lead on a used Rotel Power Amp. Though I’ve never really heard of this brand before. People seem to like them online.

Rotel was initially a Japanese brand although now I think they are associated with B&W, they have been around for a while with pretty good quality amps imo. I think they are currently made in china, but are still really nice amps that I have not heard many complaints about.

1 Like

Another brand I can find pretty cheap is marantz. I know a lot of folks seem to like their dacs and players but I haven’t heard a lot about their amplifiers.

Marantz amps are pretty great, I didn’t mention them because I didn’t know if you would have them pretty cheap there. I would say around the same quality as rotel (ish, besides their very high end stuff)

1 Like

Its actually better because I can literally pick the MM7025 up in a store that’s having a sale for like 250 dollars off

That’s pretty good, marantz has pretty balanced sounding amps, not really colored that much, also pretty good power output. You would also get a warranty and possibly be able to return (I would assume) it if it doesn’t work out.

yeah. Warranty’s included along with a 30 day return policy from the store

Something I noted in my research. Theres a YouTube review that stated the amp should not exceed 100 wpc for powering electrostats. The mm7025 is 150 wpc. The manual also states this.

Maybe I should put a passive attenuator like a behringer monitor 1 or nano patch between the preamp and amp to cut max volume